General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007 | 12:45 AM
Angry Poor Gas Mileage

I have a Fit Sport Automatic that is averaging 24-26 MPG in city and about 29 on the freeway (in Northern California in 70 degree weather with no wind and no A/C on). Most everyone on here has said their Fit gets much, much better gas mileage than mine. I have heard it all: warm up the car, don't warm-up the car, weather, fast acceleration, traffic, stop too fast. I have tried everything to get my gas mileage up and nothing has made a difference. Dealer wants to drive the car around the city for 20 miles to "test it." By the way, we now have 9,000 miles on the car and EVERY SINGLE tank of gas has been calculated. We've used the same pump, and we've tried Arco, Chevron, Safeway, Shell and Valero gas... it doesn't matter.

Can somebody please explain to me why some of these Fits are getting awesome mileage and just a handful of us are getting such poor mileage. Shoot, I would be happy if the darned thing would reach 30 MPG city or highway. I gave up my 2000 Ford Focus for this car and that was getting 27 MPG.

Old 01-11-2007 | 10:17 AM
KMSFIT- I also live in norther california (Folsom) and get 26-28 mpg in town and mixed driving. Best tank ever was 90% freeway and I got 34. Certainly not the 40+ reported by others. I have a scan gague and the best i can do is cruse at 65mpg and it shows I am getting 41 mpg. I have about 7K miles on it. Red sport auto

Old 01-11-2007 | 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by KMSFIT
I have a Fit Sport Automatic that is averaging 24-26 MPG in city and about 29 on the freeway (in Northern California in 70 degree weather with no wind and no A/C on). Most everyone on here has said their Fit gets much, much better gas mileage than mine. I have heard it all: warm up the car, don't warm-up the car, weather, fast acceleration, traffic, stop too fast. I have tried everything to get my gas mileage up and nothing has made a difference. Dealer wants to drive the car around the city for 20 miles to "test it." By the way, we now have 9,000 miles on the car and EVERY SINGLE tank of gas has been calculated. We've used the same pump, and we've tried Arco, Chevron, Safeway, Shell and Valero gas... it doesn't matter.

Can somebody please explain to me why some of these Fits are getting awesome mileage and just a handful of us are getting such poor mileage. Shoot, I would be happy if the darned thing would reach 30 MPG city or highway. I gave up my 2000 Ford Focus for this car and that was getting 27 MPG.
KMSFit - you echo my experience/efforts with my AT sport exactly, and i'm nowhere near California (montreal QC)... oh well, good luck.

Old 01-12-2007 | 08:14 AM
Tank 15 = 34.182mpg
Tank 16 = 36.988

Through 4470 miles = 33.817mpg.

It seems that the tire pressure had a big effect.

-troy

Old 01-12-2007 | 08:29 AM
just got the fit S auto

picked up yester day from NC drove to VA around 330 miles..

it showed 34mpg..on 95% highway driving..

edit:... i turned the knob on defrost mode.. that means. A/C was on through out the trip... lol.. 34mpg is not bad ins't it???

Last edited by bestfit; 01-12-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2007 | 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mifit

It seems that the tire pressure had a big effect.

-troy
What tire pressures were you using?

I just checked mine for the first time after owning it for 2 months now. I guess the mechanic that PDI'd it set them a little low IMO. It was 32 psi which probably explains why my mileage has been so poor.

Old 01-12-2007 | 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by mifit
I checked the tire pressure this weekend and they were running 22-25psi cold. I cranked them up to 35psi in an effort to get better mpg. Results soon.....

-troy
This was at about 30 degrees F.

-troy

Old 01-12-2007 | 11:30 AM
Just an update...I've been averaging 300 miles on 9 gallons. I've only installed the K&N drop-in filter. Been driving exclusively in sport mode w/ paddle shifters. I think I would probably get better mileage driving in D.

Mostly back/forth from work.

Old 01-12-2007 | 03:23 PM
Mentioned before, but the outside temp makes a big difference, especially if most of your trips are short. I have an MT (yes, I know, wrong thread ), but my mileage has gone down a lot with the advent of cold weather here in Minnesota, and that seems pretty independent of transmission.

I was getting about 34 mpg in mixed driving, usually short trips (8 mile 1way commute w/some freeway), and now I'm down to about 31.25, about a 10% difference. Best I've ever gotten is 37.25 on a longer road trip @70-75 mph. When the weather warms up, I suspect the mileage will go up again.

For you folks that have a real winter, I suspect the temp is part of the problem, though it seems pretty consistant that the real world AT mileage is overall less than the MT.

FWIW, Minnesota is a 10% ethanol state......

Old 01-13-2007 | 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
outside temperature hypothesis. Yes but not so much

Originally Posted by RedAndy
Mentioned before, but the outside temp makes a big difference, especially if most of your trips are short. I have an MT (yes, I know, wrong thread ), but my mileage has gone down a lot with the advent of cold weather here in Minnesota, and that seems pretty independent of transmission.

I was getting about 34 mpg in mixed driving, usually short trips (8 mile 1way commute w/some freeway), and now I'm down to about 31.25, about a 10% difference. Best I've ever gotten is 37.25 on a longer road trip @70-75 mph. When the weather warms up, I suspect the mileage will go up again.

For you folks that have a real winter, I suspect the temp is part of the problem, though it seems pretty consistant that the real world AT mileage is overall less than the MT.

FWIW, Minnesota is a 10% ethanol state......
good hypothesus. temperature is an important fact. I am sure there is some truth to it. You may find it interesting that I had totaled a mt fit which had a high mpg of 46.4 of all hwy driving with out cruise control. Most often I have acheived 38mpg HWY miles. Now I drive an auto fit which in the same conditions does 8 to 10 mpg less in town and 7 to 15 less on the hwy compaired to the Mt fit. One other thing the difference you show is much less of a difference I show. Your difference figures I think are valed but it does not explain the big difference I have doing the same thing with an ATand a MT Fit

Old 01-15-2007 | 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by LuxuryFit
OMG! This totally sucks. Looks like i just wasted 17,800 on a auto sport fit. First tank (100% city driving, very feather footed), got me no better than 20 mpg. YUCK! 20 mpg?!?!? (My $35,000 G35 coupe gets 18 mpg and i can keep up with $80,000 porsches! What kind of crappy little piece of doo-doo is this car? Can someone please give me a reason not to sell this half-a*sed car? AND, does anyone know if there is a hatchback that 'really does get' 30+ mpg in the city?

Yeah, I'd be pissed if I were you. I drive 75K miles a year, and I'm thinking about trading my Jetta TDI with 235K miles on it (average 47 mpg/ 750 miles per tank w/ venting technique) for a Fit Sport w manual tranny. If I get less than 30 mpg I'll be completely bullshit.
Like I said, I get about 47 mpg about 70/30 highway/city in my Jetta, but diesel is about 20% more than regular gas, so about the same as getting 39 mpg in a gasser.
My girlfriend drives an '05 Prius and gets 50+ in the city, maybe 44 on the highway. Neat little car, nice big interior, rear seats fold flat, but handles weird, and I hate the whine of the CVT tranny when you stomp on it. It's plenty quick, too, but not the car I want to be driving almost 300 miles a day in. It doesn't much like going 85+, and you kinda need to do that on I-10 in AZ.
If I were you I'd sell the thing privately and get the manual tranny if you really wanna get better mileage. If hauling shit around is what you need it for, the seat configuration options on the Fit are unique. I'm putting myself through school with courier work, so I need the cargo room. Otherwise I'd keep the TDI til it hits 400K miles in a couple years.

Old 01-15-2007 | 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by big Fit
good hypothesus. temperature is an important fact. I am sure there is some truth to it. You may find it interesting that I had totaled a mt fit which had a high mpg of 46.4 of all hwy driving with out cruise control. Most often I have acheived 38mpg HWY miles. Now I drive an auto fit which in the same conditions does 8 to 10 mpg less in town and 7 to 15 less on the hwy compaired to the Mt fit. One other thing the difference you show is much less of a difference I show. Your difference figures I think are valed but it does not explain the big difference I have doing the same thing with an ATand a MT Fit
Yeah, I saw the posts - good info, because being the same driver, the driving style is no longer a variable when comparing.

Whatever the 'base' differences are between MT and AT milage (and by group concensus, there's more than what was expected), I'm just saying that it makes perfect sense that milage for any gas powered car will go down in colder weather, at least for the 1st 20 minutes or so of driving.

I saw several posts that seemed to be complaining about the milage going down, and I was just trying to reassure them that that's totally to be expected at this time of the year. For short trips anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if every Fit sold in the upper half of the US and all of Canada will have worse milage than it did earlier in the year......

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying specifically though: Are you saying that the change in milage for an AT in cold weather is even more than that of an MT in cold weather? If that's the case, I don't really have an explaination for the 'extra' drop....

Old 01-15-2007 | 02:02 PM
Gas Mileage

Hello all, I just got my FIT a SSM base automatic last Saturday and have my first gas report. On the first tank (dealer filled) with virtually all city driving I got 29.8 MPG. Not bad but hopefully the dealer didn't fill it up all the way so my next tank will be even better.
I was kind of nervous as to what my mileage would be having seen some of the previous reports in this thread. My previous car a ford probe 2.2L would get between 21-23 MPG on average under similar driving conditions

Old 01-15-2007 | 02:04 PM
In my experience, the cold doesn't really affect the car that much...it seems that the Fit warms up much quicker than other cars and cool temp light goes out within the first 5 minutes or so. Note that I don't warm up the car, except to defrost layers of ice off the windshield (like this morning!) but normally just get in and go. I keep off the throttle until the cool temp light does go out of course.

Some additional thoughts, which have been pointed out before. After seeing several dyno plots comparing the AT and MT, it certainly appears that the AT consumes between 12-15% more power than the MT. The AJR dynos show 80hp or so for the AT vs 90hp for a MT. I believe these measurements are taken during WOT runs, so it won't be truly representative of part-throttle cruise, but it can help explain the lower MPGs.

We can only hope that once these cars 'break-in' that they can loosen up and begin to deliver. My 95 Civic EX was giving 32-35 mpg doing the same driving as the Fit, which has consistently delivered 33-34.

Old 01-15-2007 | 07:38 PM
I'm selling my Fit because the mileage is not close to what it should be. I drive like an old lady, never more than 5 miles over the speed limit, no jack rabbit starts and still I'm LUCKY if I get 30mpg on the highway. City mpg is 25, maybe. The best mileage my Fit got was when it was brand new -- 34mpg for the first two tanks of gas and then it dropped and stayed there.

I know someone else locally with one and she's had the same experience.

Spent $$$ on a roof rack (needed for work) and now it sits in my garage. I removed it within a month because the mileage dropped to 25pmg. Now I put it on only when I have to use it.

Overall, I'm exceedingly disappointed in the Fit as I use it for business and passed on a VW Golf Diesel (45mpg) because 1) the Fit was a Honda and 2)with the projected mileage, sounded awesome.

With what other people are claiming to get mileage-wise, it makes me wonder if some of the Fits are mpg lemons...?

Old 01-15-2007 | 07:45 PM
Mileage/model info

Forgot to mention the model: Fit Sport, auto transmission, original tires, now with 4K miles (90% of which are highway miles).

Old 01-15-2007 | 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by gracieracer
I'm selling my Fit because the mileage is not close to what it should be. I drive like an old lady, never more than 5 miles over the speed limit, no jack rabbit starts and still I'm LUCKY if I get 30mpg on the highway. City mpg is 25, maybe. The best mileage my Fit got was when it was brand new -- 34mpg for the first two tanks of gas and then it dropped and stayed there.

I know someone else locally with one and she's had the same experience.

Spent $$$ on a roof rack (needed for work) and now it sits in my garage. I removed it within a month because the mileage dropped to 25pmg. Now I put it on only when I have to use it.

Overall, I'm exceedingly disappointed in the Fit as I use it for business and passed on a VW Golf Diesel (45mpg) because 1) the Fit was a Honda and 2)with the projected mileage, sounded awesome.

With what other people are claiming to get mileage-wise, it makes me wonder if some of the Fits are mpg lemons...?
It's the automatics. The manuals seem to be within estimates. Sucks for you though. Boo.

Old 01-15-2007 | 11:53 PM
My White Sport A/T in Nashville just came out of its 10k service. I do 90% city driving at 40-45 mph. My commute is 4.5 miles one-way, and there are 12 stops along the way. When I drive like I want to, I get 21mpg; when I drive like Grandma, I get 24mpg. On the freeway: at 60-65 mph I get ~32mpg, but at a more normal 70-80 I get barely 30mpg. My freeway trips are usually road trips with the cruise control set.

I had the dealership test it for ecomomy; of course they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They said they topped off the tank, drove it for 28.1 miles, and put in something like .729 gallons (US), for a result of 38 miles per gallong. What a surprise. Also, you may surprised to know I expressed my skepticism with their sampling size and their method. Nevertheless, in the course of conversation, they made it clear that will do nothing else, and I haven't the energy to fight them. I've my life to get on with. Even so, it's a good enough car.

I week this weekend to drive the new Civic (while waiting for my own Fit in service) and it was nice, but had not enough headroom for my 6'2" self. I also went to drive the Yaris hatch, and they let me have it overnight. All indications are that it would get better fuel economy under my foot, but it was cramped and noisy, and I didn't care for the quality of the shifter/clutch. So while my Fit may not be the best in terms of miles-per-gallon, it's still the best car for me right now. When I can afford it again, I'll buy another pick-up truck, I think. Better for comfort, visibility, safety, carrying capacity (both in terms of people and cargo), and the economy isn't that bad on the newer trucks. My last was a Dodge Ram 1500, and it routinely returned 20-21mpg in combined driving, which is, golly, about what my Fit gives me now.

Old 01-16-2007 | 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Redandy I appreciate the reply and follow up. My point is that the Fit At or manual should do excellent in mpg of fuel. In my opinion the Fit AT should not only shift nice but it should get the great mpg.

Old 01-17-2007 | 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
I have learned that driving like grandma in my a/t sport fit gets good mileage, 34-36 mpg (usa). I have been driving like grandma. Otherwise it gets 28-30 normally.

On a hot, hot CA summer day with the A/C on, it nearly doesn't have enough power to sustain 55mph in 5th -- either run in 4th gear or exceed the speed limit at 60-65mph to raise the rpms for some extra horsepower. We're talking wicked hot days with thinner air, I guess. Too bad CA doesn't have normal gas like the rest of the world.

Its lifetime mpg average is 32.1, and I have all the numbers, over 13k miles so far.

Last edited by xorbe; 01-17-2007 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)