General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006 | 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
I will have some figures in a day I guess. What I see so far is disapointing. 650 total miles are on my auto sport fit. My gas needle is near the 1/2 tank mark full but I have not driven 100 miles yet......yup!

Last edited by big Fit; 12-07-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2006 | 09:58 AM
1 month Fuel Economy

Here's what I've been getting the last month. My Fit Sport AT has 3700 miles on the odometer thus far.

My normal comute is 80% highway 20% suburban, and as it turns out on both tanks that registered less than 30 mpg I was caught up in a traffic jam where I was stuck for in stop and go for 20 or more miles...

Last edited by jdlopez; 12-07-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-07-2006 | 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
The ATs are getting OWNED! There has to be something wrong when you don't get 30mpg with 80% highway and 20% city. My AT 2000 Sentra 1.8L even gets over 30mpg with those driving conditions.

Old 12-07-2006 | 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs down poor gas milage

Originally Posted by big Fit
Ive burned 1/4 tank and I have not reached 100 miles yet. Manual vs auto is so different....
I have the result. Around town driving... Are you ready? 20.4 mpg. My car has 664 miles on it. I drove 102.3 miles then filled up until the pump clicks(as always) then I did the math. 5.048 gallons of gas went into my car 102/5=20.4 mpg

Old 12-07-2006 | 06:05 PM
I will post pictorial evidence of my milage... 9.2 gallons of gas 308 miles and I probably could've gone 30 more but I didnt feel like walking to a gas station and then back to the car lol.

Old 12-07-2006 | 08:45 PM
i have a little over 2000 miles.. i consistently get 27 MPG or there abouts...i HAVE gotten 30 mpg once, but that was with me forcing myself to be as gas conservative as i possibly can

im not psyched...at all

Old 12-07-2006 | 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
hear this

Originally Posted by Gordio
Yea. I think the main reason AT drivers get lower mileage is more of driving style than the machinery. I'll repeat what i said above: even after i leanred to drive manual improperly, i drove the auto too hard. After I learned about RPMs (the truck i leanred to drive manual in did not have a tach. I shifted based on mph and time) and how manual trannies work, i drive my manual fit well. And in retrospect, if i got the AT, i would have driven it like i did w/ the AT civic, which is improper.

When i drove the AT, i wouuld gas and brake even if a light is ahead. I also stomped on the pedal when i wanted to pick up speed to freeway, which is bad. You're better off downshifting and pressing it medium to speed up, than a high gear pressing it hard.
I have owned both manual and Auto Fits. I am the same driver and there is a big difference in my experience. for example my best worst compairisons for the manual/Auto are 46.4/33 for best 28/20 for worst. I havent figured it out. I know that the automatic cruises at lower rpms for the open hwy tehn its counterpart. the auto seems to have more drag weight and higher rpm during shifting. I am not sure but it seems the vetech valve timing kicks in more often on the Auto....

Old 12-09-2006 | 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Mayberry66
We got our new Fit Sport Automatic in June and have nearly 2000 miles on it. We are only getting 18 to 21 mpg. Dealer checked it out twice, called Honda, ran tests, etc. Tells us to break engine in and wait and see how it does at 5000. Friend has the same model as us and he is getting 30 to 33 mpg and up to 42 mpg on trips. I think we have a lemon but don't know what to do next. Can anyone help us. Thanks P.S. My 2005 Acura TL 6-speed is getting 29 mpg so maybe I should just trade Fit for another TL?!
stop making yourself crazy - i have been there and done that since i got my fit in may of this year. city drivers with automatic transmissions are as the above poster said are "getting owned".

the dealer will tell you he gets better miliage then you. honda will tell you the gas you use is not good enough. people here will tell you to do and idle learn test. then you will hear that you take off to fast and brake to hard, then they will say to coast to a stop. before you know it you will hate that car you thought you would love. it happened to me. i even thought of trading it in. you can track all my posts. i was desperate, it was my mission in life to get better gas miliage.

THEN! i read last months issue of consumer reports. there it was in costco just waiting for me. it was a great read. BUT the best part was were it said automatics in city driving average 23 mpgs. I was so happy to read that.

why? cause it meant that it wasnt me or my driving style or my gas or anything i was doing. Just meant that either i move to Jersey or stay in NYC. i am staying in NYC. i am driving my car now the way i want to without worrying about my milieage. this is the way it is. it was a big fat lie. but honda isnt alone. the lie holds true for the yaris and the other cars like it. the standard was the way to go.

all i can do right now is wait. its a 15,000 car. if i could have afforded a hybrid, i would have bought one. in a few years maybe i will trade up.

unless your computer light comes on, honda will do nothing for you. all they know is code. thats it. they lie like a rug. good luck and know its not going to get any better - i am close to 7000 miles and it seams to be getting worse.

Old 12-09-2006 | 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by roenyc
stop making yourself crazy - i have been there and done that since i got my fit in may of this year. city drivers with automatic transmissions are as the above poster said are "getting owned".
I agree that everyone with automatics who have "low mileage" should definitely stop worrying, unless you're getting something like 11 mpg, since even the Fit's window sticker says that cars with similar EPA ratings can get as low as 26 mpg in city driving (this is for the AT), and Consumer Reports said that drivers can get as low as 23 in similar cars.

I don't know if I agree with the "getting owned" thing, though. I mean, as others have said, a lot of Americans, myself included, drive waaay too aggressively, and they may not even find their behavior aggressive. If people tailored their driving habits to these cars, they'd find a huge increase in mpg, most likely. However, most people aren't willing to do that, so they blame the car, the transmission, or something along those lines. There are several other things outside of your control, such as traffic jams and weather conditions, that are going to affect mpg, so of course, if you have an aggressive driving style, or even one that isn't conducive to getting the best mpgs out of your car, you are more likely to see a decreasae in mpgs.

With my "aggressive" (fast starts, quick slowdowns, going over the limit) driving, I get in the mid to upper 20's for mileage (25 to 29), with the lower estimats happening when I have a larger percentage of city driving. If I'm more "careful," I get in the 30's. If I'm doing solely highway with little stop and go traffic and high speeds, I can get 34ish. I could get higher if I slowed down a bit, but what's the fun in that? LOL.

So, as long as you're getting somewhere in the range recommended by the window sticker, I wouldn't worry. It might be a bit disappointing that the car isn't living up to mpg estimates from the EPA, but even the hybrids don't. There are so many factors affecting mpg that it's so hard to compare figures, even from owners of the same car, because the "little" differences can change the results dramatically.

Also, mileage will probably improve as the cars age, since most Fits in the US are still pretty new. But, we can't tell that for sure, yet.

I'm just going to enjoy my Fit for now, and worry about other problems (like the ease that the paint scratches, LOL).

Old 12-10-2006 | 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by JessW1982
I agree that everyone with automatics who have "low mileage" should definitely stop worrying, unless you're getting something like 11 mpg, since even the Fit's window sticker says that cars with similar EPA ratings can get as low as 26 mpg in city driving (this is for the AT), and Consumer Reports said that drivers can get as low as 23 in similar cars.

I don't know if I agree with the "getting owned" thing, though. I mean, as others have said, a lot of Americans, myself included, drive waaay too aggressively, and they may not even find their behavior aggressive. If people tailored their driving habits to these cars, they'd find a huge increase in mpg, most likely. However, most people aren't willing to do that, so they blame the car, the transmission, or something along those lines. There are several other things outside of your control, such as traffic jams and weather conditions, that are going to affect mpg, so of course, if you have an aggressive driving style, or even one that isn't conducive to getting the best mpgs out of your car, you are more likely to see a decreasae in mpgs.

With my "aggressive" (fast starts, quick slowdowns, going over the limit) driving, I get in the mid to upper 20's for mileage (25 to 29), with the lower estimats happening when I have a larger percentage of city driving. If I'm more "careful," I get in the 30's. If I'm doing solely highway with little stop and go traffic and high speeds, I can get 34ish. I could get higher if I slowed down a bit, but what's the fun in that? LOL.

So, as long as you're getting somewhere in the range recommended by the window sticker, I wouldn't worry. It might be a bit disappointing that the car isn't living up to mpg estimates from the EPA, but even the hybrids don't. There are so many factors affecting mpg that it's so hard to compare figures, even from owners of the same car, because the "little" differences can change the results dramatically.

Also, mileage will probably improve as the cars age, since most Fits in the US are still pretty new. But, we can't tell that for sure, yet.

I'm just going to enjoy my Fit for now, and worry about other problems (like the ease that the paint scratches, LOL).

i have to agree with you about agressive driving. When my son takes the car for a few days i notice i get about 3-5 mpgs less then when i have the car for solo. He is notorious for quick starts - i dont mean just taking off quickly from a stop but just zooming from that stop and taking turns like a race car driver and stoping from with a heavy foot. when i drive with him i mention that he is just burning gas. but hey is is "enjoying the car"?

so yes it makes a difference but not the difference the dealer would like me to think.

lets not talk about those scratches!!! ugh. what a mess. someone opened there door into mine and I have an ugly didng in my passenger side door and of course the paint came right off. then while doing laundry with my daughter - the cart filled wtih cloths came barreling into the back side of the car and chipped and dented the part right above rear door window. that sucker rusted. i could cry. my son has this idea that we are going to just paint the entire car some day! i am like you have got to be kidding me. just touch it up. i have had the dealer paint my roof and hood (they did it as a curtisy) they would admit no wrong.

Old 12-11-2006 | 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ragnarok0mega
i have a little over 2000 miles.. i consistently get 27 MPG or there abouts...i HAVE gotten 30 mpg once, but that was with me forcing myself to be as gas conservative as i possibly can

im not psyched...at all
Im getting almost the exact same. My wife is the primary driver. She drives like an old lady on the way to church. Most results are 27-28 mpg. Seems rediculous when their are only (at most) 2 stops on the way to her job 8 miles away. Seems like should be better with such conservative driving. Car should be pretty broken in with 9000 miles on it.

Old 12-11-2006 | 06:59 PM
I have owned both manual and Auto Fits. I am the same driver and there is a big difference in my experience. for example my best worst compairisons for the manual/Auto are 46.4/33 for best 28/20 for worst. I havent figured it out. I know that the automatic cruises at lower rpms for the open hwy tehn its counterpart. the auto seems to have more drag weight and higher rpm during shifting. I am not sure but it seems the vetech valve timing kicks in more often on the Auto....
I believe the difference is substantial, but one thing to note is that v-tech kicking in has less than a 3% effect on fuel usage. The other 97% is plain and simple throttle position. What causes more fuel to enter the engine? Throttle position. People talk about v-tech and strategic shifting to avoid it for fuel conservation, but the only thing you should worry about is how hard you are pressing on the pedal. I am sure that people will jump on me, but full throttle at 1k rpm throws similar fuel to full throttle at 6.5k rpm. Somewhere in here their is a great graph that proves this. Anyway, I am sure that other variables come into play. Perhaps the M/T is more efficient at transferring energy to the wheels than the A/T. Also, before you jump on me and tell me I dont know what I am talking about, think simply. With the DBW, when you accel, it opens the throttle and butterfly without much regard to the engine's speed. IF you look at that simple fact, then you would realize that v-tech kicking in doesnt make the throttle open more or pump more fuel in. Now, the reason why their is some discrepancy is because of the fuel return (whatever isnt burned). This is of course not technical at all, but those of us that have significant understanding of cars should agree that this is pretty comprehensive. If I have missed any major points, feel free to add and addemdum to this post. Bullet point = v-tech is more that ok to use, just think about how hard you are pressing on the pedal.

Old 12-12-2006 | 08:27 AM
Love this car.
2007 Fit Sport AT
Tank 1 = 36.2mpg
2 = 33.2mpg
3 = 32.0
4 = 33.8
5 = 32.5
33.54mpg through 1500 miles.
Lots of varying conditions but in general 80/20 hwy/city.

Needless to say, I am very happy so far. My last car was a 1999 Cavalier with 178K on it at the time of trade in. EPA rating on that was 21/29 city/hwy and over 120K and 3.5yrs of driving this same route I averaged 27.3mpg.

-troy

Old 12-13-2006 | 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mjrossman17
I believe the difference is substantial, but one thing to note is that v-tech kicking in has less than a 3% effect on fuel usage. The other 97% is plain and simple throttle position. What causes more fuel to enter the engine? Throttle position. People talk about v-tech and strategic shifting to avoid it for fuel conservation, but the only thing you should worry about is how hard you are pressing on the pedal. I am sure that people will jump on me, but full throttle at 1k rpm throws similar fuel to full throttle at 6.5k rpm. Somewhere in here their is a great graph that proves this. Anyway, I am sure that other variables come into play. Perhaps the M/T is more efficient at transferring energy to the wheels than the A/T. Also, before you jump on me and tell me I dont know what I am talking about, think simply. With the DBW, when you accel, it opens the throttle and butterfly without much regard to the engine's speed. IF you look at that simple fact, then you would realize that v-tech kicking in doesnt make the throttle open more or pump more fuel in. Now, the reason why their is some discrepancy is because of the fuel return (whatever isnt burned). This is of course not technical at all, but those of us that have significant understanding of cars should agree that this is pretty comprehensive. If I have missed any major points, feel free to add and addemdum to this post. Bullet point = v-tech is more that ok to use, just think about how hard you are pressing on the pedal.
I can not discuss the vetech. It is actually a guess. what I do notice is that when driving in d mode although the gear is constant there is some kind of change... it seems like it kicks into overdrive for each gear? Secondly I will not jump all over you about your comments and third I am ver very light footed. Keep in mind I put 7000 miles on a 5 speed manual and I now am driving an auto fit. I have not changed I am the contstant...... I am convinced that people on this site for the most part are fairly accurate in what thay say about mpg.

Old 12-13-2006 | 10:33 PM
I can not discuss the vetech. It is actually a guess. what I do notice is that when driving in d mode although the gear is constant there is some kind of change... it seems like it kicks into overdrive for each gear? Secondly I will not jump all over you about your comments and third I am ver very light footed. Keep in mind I put 7000 miles on a 5 speed manual and I now am driving an auto fit. I have not changed I am the contstant...... I am convinced that people on this site for the most part are fairly accurate in what thay say about mpg.
torque converter locking

Old 12-19-2006 | 08:27 AM
more...

Tank 6 = 34.38mpg
Tank 7 = 35.74
Tank 8 = 33.89

Through 2317 miles = 33.96mpg.

Seems to be a good average of the EPA estimate 31/37. I'm hoping for a whole tank without a traffic jam (Detroit Metro) to see the real potential.

-troy

Old 12-19-2006 | 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
How much influence has driving with alu wheels vs steel wheels when looking at the mpg?
Would I use less fuel if I change the winterwheels to alu too? (We use them from 15.okt to 1.may)

Old 12-19-2006 | 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by F0NIX
How much influence has driving with alu wheels vs steel wheels when looking at the mpg?
Would I use less fuel if I change the winterwheels to alu too? (We use them from 15.okt to 1.may)
Winter tires are usually heavier and higher rolling resistance too. The stock tires tend to be low in rolling resistance. Low tire also has a significant effect; besides being dangerous. With that combination we're probably talking about 3 mpg difference (guesstimate based on experience).

Don't forget that gas in the winter and cold temperature also contribute to lower mpg. This is more significant if your trips are short (less than 20 minutes).

Interestingly, gas prices tend to be lower in the winter than it is in the summer. So overall I've found that it costs about the same to go 1 mile in the winter as it does in the summer (more expensive gas, but better mpg.

Old 12-19-2006 | 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Fill Up...

I Have 4300 miles and average of 36 MPG 80/20 HWY/CITy.
what is the max gallons that you can pump at one time?
i was able to pump 12 gallons at one fill up and was able to go 410 miles.

Old 12-19-2006 | 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Devil Doc
what is the max gallons that you can pump at one time?
i was able to pump 12 gallons at one fill up and was able to go 410 miles.
You shouldn't overstuff your fuel tank. A percentage of the 'extra' fuel (over 10.8 gallons) you put in will load the carbon canister and not be used effectively. The best method is probably the SAEJ398 (Jul05) filling procedure.

1. Set nozzle on max until first shutoff.
2. Wait 5 sec.
3. Set nozzle on min until shutoff.
4. Wait 5 sec.
5. Set nozzle on min until shutoff.
6. Done.

This would help reduce variability in MPG numbers also.
-troy

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)