General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006 | 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
hmmm hesitation? that sounds fishy! I press the gas, ok I brush against the gas pedal and my FiT LEAPS forward! I have a base AT. From what I've read this is common (the leaping) so I would take it in and make them find what is wrong! there HAS to be something wrong. that is just silly! your needle should barely move at 75 miles. regardlesso f how or where you drive! I sat at a drive in for 5 hours with my air running and barely used any gas. I still ended up with 27mpg that tank. Your not crazy but if the dealer tells you nothing is wrong they are!!

Originally Posted by roenyc
no i drive in Staten island, its like the suburbs. just lights and light stop and go traffic. well not light traffic in a Nebraska way but in a NYC way. in fact this is the best gas millage i have gotten, just came back from the store, a 1 mile trip, and i am still not at half a tank and am at 75, no a/c this week.

at this rate i might get 22 mpg!

i feel a slight hesitation when i take off. is this normal? my kid says yes. i say no. its like i hit the gas and the car takes a bit of time to follow. could be my imagination but that might be my problem. he says its just the way the new transmissions work.

I have an automatic, and its like i press the peddle and it just seems like the car takes a second or more to jump into first gear. i am not explaining this well. it always seems as though i am hitting the gas more then i need to in order to accelerate.

is there anyone out there who knows what the heck i am talking about. at first i thought it was because of the A/C - my older cars did that. but that was just an excuse. HELP - i go to dealer tomorrow!!

Old 08-15-2006 | 10:50 AM
Sebwin now i know i am not crazy. thank you for your post. my car has never "leaped" i noticed that from day one and kept getting told i was imagining things. but i am very sensitive to this kind of stuff. i wish i would have trusted my feelings from day one.

and one time i idled for about a half hour with the A/C on (it was about 99 degrees out and humid) and i was waiting for someone ===== i got 16 mpg that week!!! i swore i would never ever ever idle again.

something is wrong.

Old 08-15-2006 | 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by roenyc
Sebwin now i know i am not crazy. thank you for your post. my car has never "leaped" i noticed that from day one and kept getting told i was imagining things. but i am very sensitive to this kind of stuff. i wish i would have trusted my feelings from day one.

and one time i idled for about a half hour with the A/C on (it was about 99 degrees out and humid) and i was waiting for someone ===== i got 16 mpg that week!!! i swore i would never ever ever idle again.

something is wrong.
dang, 16 MPG??!!! HMFG...i would def tell that to the dealer, even if you step on the car every time, you can't get 16 MPG, no matter how hard you drive it...something must be wrong...did they do the fuel system test on your car yet?? if not, let us kno what the dealer say about your horrid mileage when you bring it in...

Old 08-15-2006 | 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by fitjunkie
nope, i remember reading some AT with mid 30s MPG...plus, the downside of AT should never be different by 10 MPG, that would cause a lot of trouble...no matter how AT ppl drives, it should be above 30 MPG instead of 19 or 20...
no no no, I think you're misinterpreting what I was saying. I'm not saying ALL ATs should give a huge hit on fuel efficiency... Here's what I mean:

Not EVERYONE with the AT is getting bad gas mileage

BUT

everyone that is reporting bad gas mileage has an AT

Meaning

SOME AT Fits are getting crappy gas mileage. Maybe there's an issue with the transmission in the cars that are getting poor gas mileage.

I'll try to sift through this thread, but from what I've seen, the MT guys are getting good mileage.

Old 08-15-2006 | 05:19 PM
I just took my Fit Sport AT out for another road trip...this time to the winding and curvy roads of Yosemite National Park. Although I've been whining about the lousy gas mileage of my Fit (30 MPG average), it certainly performed like a champ around the hairpin turns up to Glacier Point! It was a total blast to drive! Coasting downhill around tight turns, it handled great and hugged those turns like a finely-tuned BMW. When we finally arrived in Fresno and filled up, it got 37 MPG, but I think alot of that was a fluke, since there was alot of downhill coasting without the gas pedal. The next trip tomorrow will test it again...a trip to San Francisco. We'll see how the MPG holds up afterwards. If it would stay around the 34-35 MPG range, I'll be happy.

Old 08-15-2006 | 05:46 PM
Either I'm doing something right, or I got one of the "good" A/T motors.
My fill-up #'s so far:
1. 38.3
2. 32.6
3. 40.6
4. 39.3
5. 39.5
6. 34.5

The overall average up to this point is 37.2 MPG
I just passed 2000 miles this week. The current tank seems to be on pace with the others (60 miles and only a little more than 1/8 gone). It's easy to see with my fill-ups what the Fit gets highway vs. city. My 2 lowest numbers were overwhelmingly daily commute, while the others were mainly highway with lots of Cruise Control. (although oddly enough, that 40.6 tank had several work days included in it)

Last edited by Fudgie; 08-15-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2006 | 01:27 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
4rd tank (I think, don't have the records in front of me), Sport AT, 33.2mpg. Getting better every tank! Probably 70% freeway.

Old 08-16-2006 | 02:34 PM
It's not fair to judge yet since I'm still on my first tank, but this tank is showing really poor mileage. I called the dealer about this just to hear what they think about it and they told me not to even get concerned until the car hits 5000 miles. Sounds like BS to me...I can see small improvements over time as break-in occurs, but some of the differences I'm reading about are really strange. Somehow I'm beginning to regret buying this thing since gas mileage was a major consideration. I'll try the "learn" procedure with my next tank but if this is something we need to do to get these things to work correctly there's some serious problems here. MHO, of course.

bob

Sport auto

Old 08-17-2006 | 08:00 AM
i went to the dealer yesterday about my mpg problems and the paint problem.

the manager was no help at all. ran computer tests and said my car was fine. Expained how estimated mpgs are determined. blah blah blah. i told him i understood but expected more then 20 mpg.

I have to bring the car back today when the regional manager or something is there. i am disgusted. i am ready to just trade it in.

Old 08-20-2006 | 02:23 PM
First dive onto highway today

Running 2000 rpm at 60 mph with 47 psi on tires as received from factory. I have gone 150 miles on less than a quarter of tank, Sport AT.

Old 08-20-2006 | 06:48 PM
Scared Fitless!

Originally Posted by AttaBoy63
Just got my worst mileage yet: 23.5mpg!!! Drove only 210.5 miles when that stinkin' little gas pump light went on Took on 8.935 gallons = 23.5mpg - what the Again, that's driving to and from work, running errands very little highway driving - windows closed, no ac, no fast starts, no no no no no! This just can't be! Any recommendations? Do I go back to the dealer? What to do
WOW! Coments like that really make me think twice about buying a Honda Fit! How common is this mpg problem? Maybe the Fit does not get as good mpg as you guys are thinking it does? Maybe it was all just a mistake in Japan from the beginning,
and they really meant to type: 21 City 28 Hwy?
and yes, i'm not kidding, i'm serious.

Old 08-20-2006 | 07:00 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by LuxuryFit
WOW! Coments like that really make me think twice about buying a Honda Fit! How common is this mpg problem? Maybe the Fit does not get as good mpg as you guys are thinking it does? Maybe it was all just a mistake in Japan from the beginning,
and they really meant to type: 21 City 28 Hwy?
and yes, i'm not kidding, i'm serious.
I'm at 182 at half a tank and probably around 4.5-5 gallons used since fill up. I'm not getting bad gas mileage, but I'm not sure I understand why there's such a difference in what everyone's getting.

Old 08-20-2006 | 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by 07Fit00S2K
I averaged 33.6mpg on my first fill up. Woot. Sport w/ AT.
Hey, now thats more like it!
Can you share the percentage of City/Hwy driving you did during that time?
Thanks

Old 08-20-2006 | 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Mr SEntra
I'm at 182 at half a tank and probably around 4.5-5 gallons used since fill up. I'm not getting bad gas mileage, but I'm not sure I understand why there's such a difference in what everyone's getting.
You have a manual transmission. From what I'm gathering here, the only people that are reporting poor fuel economy (average less than 30mpg, even under moderate/highway conditions) have the automatic transmissions. No, not EVERYONE with an automatic is getting poor economy, but I have yet to hear about someone with a manual that is getting poor mileage.

Old 08-20-2006 | 07:31 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
31mpg, 5th tank, od is at 1080. Mainly city, though, so I'm happy

Old 08-21-2006 | 03:14 AM
My AT fit never get over 240 miles per tank, with AC on and 50/50 highway and local.

Old 08-22-2006 | 06:33 AM
Update: Sport AT, mostly 90 mile commute, hilly section of PA. 60% highway, 40% mild suburban stoplights/stopsigns. AC on most of the time. 95% in D. Very little paddle shifting.

After a little over a month with the Fit, little over 3k mileage, here are my first 12 tanks. last three tanks are showing some real consistency One thing I have done recently that I believe has contributed to that is to stop using cruise control since it really revs the engine trying to maintain speed on my hilly Pennsylvania terrain. Instead, I get a "running start" before a hill and go easy on the throttle on the way up.

1 33.1
2 34.5
3 32.3
4 35.6
5 37.5
6 32.7
7 32.9
8 35.4
9 32.7
10 36
11 36.1
12 36.1

Total average for the car since purchase: 34.52, but I'm hoping to push that above 35 if these 36+ numbers stay consistent. I'm very pleased.

Old 08-24-2006 | 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
Yesterday I went to my Honda dealer and had them reset my ECU using the HDS, and do the Idle-Learn procedure on it.

I'm just under 6,000 miles. To date my cumulative gas mileage has been 28.7 mpg. My best tank was 33.0 and my worse was 23.5. Based on mileage, about 70% have been on the interstate miles.

I talked with the Service Manager about all of this for a while. He said that I was the first one that he had complain about the Fit - but then again, they really haven't sold that many (small dealer.) He said that the Civic's were doing quite well in comparison to the EPA estimates. He also said that it takes a while for the catalytic converter to get "seasoned" properly - usually around 10,000 miles. He said that when that happened, almost everyone's mileage seemed to go up by 10% or more. He also suggested that maybe I was babying it too much and that I needed to drive it harder to get the cat broken in faster.

I'm going to experiment with it over the next couple of months. For example, I drove around town last night with the gear selector in "S" so that the revs stay up more. It was definately more FUN!! I am going to try my next interstate drive in S, and keep it in "m4" which is almost identical to the revs that the MT runs in 5th gear.

I'll keep playing to see if I can find anything that "works" better with the mileage.

Oh, I'm running 40 psi front, and 35 psi rear.

Old 08-24-2006 | 11:36 AM
yeah my daeler said the same thing. but the car isnt that old, they havent sold that many, most people dont compain that much or dont even realize they are getting crappy miliage. it took my almost 3000 miles before i said this is not getting any better and no more excuses for A/C or ethenol or anything else. and most people dont come to sites like this to see the mpgs others are getting in the city and say heck why arent i?

Old 08-25-2006 | 12:42 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Sport AT around 1300 miles - This was my 7th tank I believe. Went 212 miles, 8.1 gallons = 26.2mpg. The first half of this tank was very spirited driving at 4-6k RPMs and lots of twisties, since my friend was in town and wanted to have fun in the car Oh, and that was hauling three people, too!

So taking that into consideration, I'm happy! We'll see how the car evens out for the next tank. I'm guessing the computer has already adjusted back to my normally mild driving, since the last half of the tank was regular city/hwy driving.

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)