General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Experiences with a totaled car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Experiences with a totaled car?

This past weekend my fit was involved in an accident. Long story short, A van, my fit and a ford expedition were parked side by side, another van hit the van (which was on the drivers side of my car) into my car and sandwiched it into the expedition. The driver’s side of the vehicle is pretty bad. Right now it is in the body shop waiting for the estimate which is FINALLY going to take place tomorrow. There is a possibility that it could be totaled.

Has anyone had any experiences with getting their car totaled and what happens afterward? I just bought this car a week ago. Should I hope that they say it is a total loss? what happens with the extended warranty? I have asked my insurance company but so far the people I talked to are being very vague. I guess I find out more tomorrow, but I was just hoping to hear about anybody else’s experiences.

Thanks!

and for the curious, when I get the pictures back I'll post em.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't know what happens to warranties, loan payments and things like that, but I do have an experience with a totaled car so I'll put this down in case you are interested.

Your insurance people will look at your car, and let you know what they have decided (I assume today?). If they tell you that it's totaled, then within a week or two you'll receive a huge packet of legal documents. On the first page, they list what vehicle it is, and any add ons that you have found (floor mats, car alarms, etc). They will calculate the value of your car and each add ons minus depreciation. At the end of the list, they will put the total value of the car, and that will be the amount on the check that they will give you.

Now, you may or may not agree with the price. Look carefully at the list of added items. When my car was totaled, they missed the fact that I had the car alarm installed by Honda, which will increase the value of the car. I called them and it was taken care of immediately. The key point here is that you must have receipts for all the add-ons, and it will be more difficult if you purchased an after market item instead of a Honda. If you have added anything to the car that you think will increase the value, then you are better off calling them about it. They may or may not agree, but you can't lose anything by asking.
Also, if you think that they assigned too low of a value to your car, you can do a quick search on the current market for the same car and millage, and send that to them to prove that your car worth more.

The packet will also include a lot of papers you will need to sign if you agree to the price that they give you. It's all legal stuff, and naturally you will have to read carefully. You will have to sign your title (if you have it) since you will be transferring the ownership to them. Important thing is you will have to go get a notory public to sign this one piece of paper (it's the paper that says that you allow the insurance company to sign legal stuff on your behalf). You will have to mail all of this to them, and within a week or so you should get your check.

Hope this helps...If I haven't explained anything clearly let me know.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks.

Looks like I will be sitting with my lawyer if this happens. I find out tomorrow what the estimate is...

I just hope this all works out for the best.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:12 PM
i had my fit totalled after 3 months. pretty much what Choro said.....after they deem it total you can buy it back (they will deduct from your payoff) or have them cut a check to the dealer or whomever you financed it from if you owe still. as far as the extended warranty once its totalled get the docs stating so and take them to the dealer. you will fill out a form and you should recieve a check for a refund....seeming you only had it for a week they should give you full price back.