General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Are deisels made by honda and what are they like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Question Are deisels made by honda and what are they like?

I just wonder what you might know about Hondas involvement with running deisel motors in there cars? If they make them I hope they are better then TDI motors... In the USA TDI motors accumulate Carbon if not driven long distance....

Old 02-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Honda makes a few diesels in the UK/europe. Not sure how they stack up to the VW's we have here.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
They make a few deisels in Europe, specificaly theres a 2.0 Turbo thats in the new 06 euro civic that does like 50 mpg.

In the latest issue of Honda Tunning, they mentioned they are gona bring over one or 2 of them in the future.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by big Fit
I just wonder what you might know about Hondas involvement with running deisel motors in there cars? If they make them I hope they are better then TDI motors... In the USA TDI motors accumulate Carbon if not driven long distance....
Read for yourself

Road Tests: Honda Accord Diesel Road Test

I'm told Honda's diesels are quite a step above what was previously available on the market. I look forward to their introduction in the next 2 years to the US market, starting with the Accord, and the Honda trucks.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Our district rep for our dealership told us that a Civic diesel will be avialable in 2009 followed by the Accord and the CRV. It is also rumored that the Element will have a new model introduction in 2009 as well. I guess we will have to see.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Honda is trying to reduce the NOX emissions to meet NA standards using a new design catalytic converter. The engine might be built in the new Honda engine factory announced for Ontario.

Future fuels on show - Motoring - CARSguide

Old 02-15-2007, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
deisel artical

jbrisson thanks for link to the great artical on the subject of Deisle motors

Old 02-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by big Fit
jbrisson thanks for link to the great artical on the subject of Deisle motors
No problem-o . Here's the press release from Honda regarding their diesel engine, in case others haven't seen it:

Honda Develops Next-Generation Clean Diesel Engine

Date: September 24, 2006 21:58

Capable of Meeting Stringent Tier II Bin 5 Emissions Requirements in the U.S.

Honda Motor Co., Ltd., today announced it has developed a next-generation diesel engine that reduces exhaust gas emissions to a level equal to a gasoline engine. Honda's next-generation diesel engine employs a revolutionary NOx catalytic converter that enables a great reduction in NOx emissions sufficient to meet stringent U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Tier II Bin 5 emissions requirements (based on Honda's internal calculations). This catalytic converter features the world's first innovative system using the reductive reaction of ammonia generated within the catalytic converter to "detoxify" nitrogen oxide (NOx) by turning it into harmless nitrogen (N2).

The new catalytic converter utilizes a two-layer structure: one layer adsorbs NOx from the exhaust gas and converts a portion of it into ammonia, while the other layer adsorbs the resulting ammonia, and uses it later in a reaction that converts the remaining NOx in the exhaust into nitrogen (N2). Ammonia is a highly effective reagent for reducing NOx into N2 in an oxygen-rich, lean-burn atmosphere. This ability to generate and store ammonia within the catalytic converter has enabled Honda to create a compact, lightweight NOx reduction system for diesel engines. The system also features enhanced NOx reduction performance at 200–300ēC, the main temperature range of diesel engines.

Honda designed the catalytic converter for use with its 2.2 i-CTDi diesel engine, which has earned widespread praise for quiet, clean operation and dynamic performance since its introduction in 2003 on the European Accord model. By further advancing combustion control, the 2.2 i-CTDi delivers cleaner exhaust to the NOx catalytic converter. Honda achieved this by optimizing the combustion chamber configuration, reducing fuel injection time with a 2,000-bar common rail injection system and boosting the efficiency of the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system. Thanks to these improvements, Honda has reduced the amount of NOx and soot normally found in engine exhaust, while increasing power output.

Along with developing superior technology for cleaning exhaust gas, Honda plans to address other technical challenges in developing clean diesel engines, such as handling diesel fuels with different cetane numbers and meeting U.S. On-Board Diagnostic System requirements. Honda plans to introduce its next-generation diesel engine in the U.S. within three years.

Gasoline engines presently employ three-way catalytic converters that offer NOx reduction rates as high as 99%, but this performance is possible only at the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio. In the oxygen-rich environment of a lean-burn diesel engine, three-way catalytic converters only reduce NOx levels by approximately 10%. Honda's new catalytic converter efficiently reduces NOx in a lean-burn atmosphere, enabling diesel engines to rival gasoline engines in cleanliness. The compact system is also easy to install in passenger vehicles.
California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York and Vermont all rejected Mercedes Bluetec SRL diesel in the E320 because it didn't pass emissions.
Since diesel creates more nitrogen oxide than gas engines, Bluetec uses an oxidizing catalytic converter, filter and another storage converter that absorbs nitrogen oxides temporarily. Apparently, it didn't absorb enough. Honda's system differs in its simplicity, and is said to be ready to pass all 50 state emission testing.

We'll see in a year.