General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

M/t Fit Sport ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
How rare is a MT Sport?

I'm bored today, so here's some numbers I am playing with.

Per vtec.net's page:

Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - American Honda Posts 10th Consecutive Year of Record Sales in 2006

It looks like ~28,000 Fit's were sold from say late April to December 2006.

With the hypothetical 15% of those being manual, that comes out to roughly 4200 Fit's. And assuming that half of those are the Sport model, that means about 2100. There are 6 colors that the sport comes in, and if Honda decided to go equal on the colors, that would mean there are possibly 350 of each color in the whole US. Distributed equally to the 50 states would mean 70 per state. At this rate for the next 4 months it may come out to about 100.

Now all of this is just hypothetical, but I wanted to see if anyone else thought of the possibility of how rare your car really is.

I also have a Black 1999 Civic Si, which was reported to only have made only 15,000 (of the possible 250,000 Civics produced for the US that year) and the numbers, and assuming that Honda split the three colors evenly that would mean 100 black Si's per state!

Old 02-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by fit_4_a_king
I'm bored today, so here's some numbers I am playing with.

Per vtec.net's page:

Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - American Honda Posts 10th Consecutive Year of Record Sales in 2006

It looks like ~28,000 Fit's were sold from say late April to December 2006.

With the hypothetical 15% of those being manual, that comes out to roughly 4200 Fit's. And assuming that half of those are the Sport model, that means about 2100. There are 6 colors that the sport comes in, and if Honda decided to go equal on the colors, that would mean there are possibly 350 of each color in the whole US. Distributed equally to the 50 states would mean 70 per state. At this rate for the next 4 months it may come out to about 100.

Now all of this is just hypothetical, but I wanted to see if anyone else thought of the possibility of how rare your car really is.

I also have a Black 1999 Civic Si, which was reported to only have made only 15,000 (of the possible 250,000 Civics produced for the US that year) and the numbers, and assuming that Honda split the three colors evenly that would mean 100 black Si's per state!
50 x 7 = 350

Old 02-01-2007, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for catching that...even more impressive!

Old 02-01-2007, 06:43 PM
I LOVE MY MT. its 100% worth the wait. its cool just knowing there more rare.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
MT is cool and all but once you start doing mods then you realize that the ratio is too short!!! They needed to push that ish even farther. I have intake and axle back exhaust and it just seems like once i put a header and possibly a b pipe in there i'm just going to be reaching redline in 1st and 2nd wayyyy too quick. should have had a sixth gear

Old 02-02-2007, 04:55 AM
Originally Posted by integradriv3r
MT is cool and all but once you start doing mods then you realize that the ratio is too short!!! They needed to push that ish even farther. I have intake and axle back exhaust and it just seems like once i put a header and possibly a b pipe in there i'm just going to be reaching redline in 1st and 2nd wayyyy too quick. should have had a sixth gear
lol are you serious? There's no way that it would accelerate that fast and 6 speeds have shorter gear ratios you know

Old 02-03-2007, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
^^ what he said. The Fit's ratios are really pretty well matched to the engine's output and it's very easy to keep it in the sweet spot for good power I'd say. Any longer and you'd have a slug for a car.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
should have had a sixth gear
would be nice on the freeway so we could drive around 80 and not waste so much gas.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, but that would mean we'd have to downshift for every headwind and pass....I think that it is pretty well matched as it is. If you want to save more gas, keep it under 65-70 and you'll do much better; I was able to get 32mpg on a 500+ mile trip to AZ, but would have done better if I kept it under 85-90....

Old 02-06-2007, 09:02 AM
How bout the BASE MT?? I have a SSM Base MT and feel extremely lucky to own it. I told the dealer I only wanted MT (not knowing at the time how rare this was) and took delivery in 8 weeks. SSM was my second color choice, but now I am really happy with it. This car is as close as I am going to get to my two previous wonderful Preludes.( 1984 & 1989; RIP)

Old 02-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Cool! But I bet they're not evenly distributed. I have not one, but TWO other MT sports within a few blocks of me, one of which is the same color as mine .

I have no idea how, as we all seem to have to wait as long as everybody else. (took me six months to get mine....)

Old 02-07-2007, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
I got mine in 1 week and it was my first choice color. I actully didn't even tell them a second or third choice of color.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackgd3
lol are you serious? There's no way that it would accelerate that fast and 6 speeds have shorter gear ratios you know
Typically yes, 6 M/T are just the same final drive but with shorter rations per gear
...but what he's saying is that...the fit need to keep the same 5spd ratios and have an extra "overdrive" gear for optimal fuel economy.

I am a true believe in this one...

Every damn time i get on the interstate...i go from 3rd to 4th to 5th then..

frown because..my tach's sitting at 3k and I'm going 70....
a 6th gear would be so wonderful. I would imagine fuel economy would be near 50mpg hwy if i could cruise at 1,5K at 65mph.

*sigh* what a dream.

yeah it's cool to have a rare-ish car. helps resale

Old 02-07-2007, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GoFits
Typically yes, 6 M/T are just the same final drive but with shorter rations per gear
...but what he's saying is that...the fit need to keep the same 5spd ratios and have an extra "overdrive" gear for optimal fuel economy.

I am a true believe in this one...

Every damn time i get on the interstate...i go from 3rd to 4th to 5th then..

frown because..my tach's sitting at 3k and I'm going 70....
a 6th gear would be so wonderful. I would imagine fuel economy would be near 50mpg hwy if i could cruise at 1,5K at 65mph.

*sigh* what a dream.

yeah it's cool to have a rare-ish car. helps resale
This is exactly what I meant. thanks. haha
I actully wanted to be able to cruze around 70-75 and not have to hear the engine screaming.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
ok i think what i really wanted to say was... FIT HAS NO POWER I should have just waited like an extra few months and gotten my wonderful 06 Honda civic si That was the car I was dreaming about for months. Then Fit came into the picture and well the rest is history. But I'm either going to do something crazy with the Fit (meaning k swap, forced induction) or just get a new car because I'm going to kill my motor the way I drive my Fit daily. There isn't a day that when I drive my Fit its no stranger to the 6k rpm mark

Old 02-07-2007, 06:19 AM
ok i think what i really wanted to say was... FIT HAS NO POWER I should have just waited like an extra few months and gotten my wonderful 06 Honda civic si That was the car I was dreaming about for months. Then Fit came into the picture and well the rest is history. But I'm either going to do something crazy with the Fit (meaning k swap, forced induction) or just get a new car because I'm going to kill my motor the way I drive my Fit daily. There isn't a day that when I drive my Fit its no stranger to the 6k rpm mark
The fit's lack of power is really getting on me now... It's soooo slow. I think I'll
be selling it as soon as the new civic type r becomes available here(philippines)

Old 02-08-2007, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
It's still peppy enough for me...I bought it KNOWING full well it wasn't gonna be a rocket....but it's a peppy little bugger and I will probably buy another one in a few years.

You'd have to be pretty dim to have bought this car thinking is was....um..FAST.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
I have one of only 320 '97 Integra Type Rs imported into the US, now THATs rare

Anyways, Id bet there are more than 50% sports, and theres no way the colors are evenly matched. Just the other day I saw a red Fit sport in the parking lot and it was MT just like mine. Still, its nice not to see yourself passing by all the time say if you were in an Accord, Civic, etc.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:00 PM
M/t Fit Sport ?

hello everyone ! just wondering... how hard is it to buy a m/t fit sport ? I was at a dealership and they told me it's impossible to find a m/t fit sport .. that they usually they come in m/t base models... Can someone verify this for me ? BTW , im from Los Angeles, CA.. if anyone knows of a good dealership let me know

Old 02-10-2007, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
They're not impossible, just really difficult -- and that's just for M/T's in general. I have an M/T Sport as do quite a few others, so they're out there.

Quick Reply: M/t Fit Sport ?