General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Popular Mechanics Honda Fit Sport: Long-Term Test — First Report

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Popular Mechanics Honda Fit Sport: Long-Term Test — First Report

Honda Fit Sport: Long-Term Test — First Report

BY Ben Stewart
Published in the February 2007 issue.

It isn't often
that a car differs startlingly from its competition. But when we compared four front-drive cars in our recent test ("Battle of the B Cars," July '06), we found that despite the group's general similarities, the Honda Fit just stood out. The frugal, fun and funky Fit made such an impression on us that it won our 2007 Automotive Excellence Award for Best Value (October '06).

In fact, we liked Honda's smallest car so much, we added one to our long-term test fleet at the same time we ordered its adversary, the Versa. We learned long ago that the rigors of life in the PM fleet can reveal a car's hidden warts.

The Fit began its test on the West Coast where, after being driven through its break-in miles, we're starting to get an accurate gauge on its abilities. On a recent trip the Fit managed 41 mpg. Now who needs a hybrid when a $15,000 Honda delivers that kind of fuel economy?

But it's not the Fit's efficiency that won our hearts; it's that the Honda is actually fun to drive. We normally wouldn't be all grins wrestling a B-Car through the twists of Los Angeles's Mulholland Highway, but we were in the Fit. Our Fit Sport has the grip and poise of cars costing a lot more. The slick-shifting manual and well-placed pedals have us matching the revs like we were driving a rally car. It's going to be a fun year with our little hatchback.

Oh, right, and a socially responsible year, as well.

VITAL STATISTICS
Base price:
$15,170
As-tested price: $15,765
Extra-cost options: None (Price difference due to destination charge)
Drivetrain: 1.5-liter 16-valve SOHC inline four-cylinder engine, five-speed manual transmission, front-wheel drive
Engine performance: 109 hp/105 lb.-ft
EPA fuel economy: 33 city/38 highway

Old 01-25-2007, 10:24 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Edmunds is also doing a long-term test: Long-Term Road Tests

Old 01-25-2007, 10:50 AM
how the he** did they get 41 mpg highway! I do all Highway 120 miles a day and have barely seen over 30.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by jits14
how the he** did they get 41 mpg highway! I do all Highway 120 miles a day and have barely seen over 30.

do you have lots of hills in your area???

Old 01-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Very cool. I've had 41mpg on a roadtrip with our AT Sport Fit, but it's still the around-town mileage that kills the benefit (around 25 mpg).

Cool to see them testing the Fit long-term... like the rest of us are doing

Old 01-29-2007, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
I've gotten 41.6 on the highway straight tank! from Chicago to NY! 5Spd Manual here!

Old 01-29-2007, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
oh yeah 41 is definitely attainable.
but it should be just you in the car, not over 65 action and a light foot.
I almost got 40mpg but i hit city traffic and well you know the rest.
It's still sweet to hear praise about our little cars...

Old 02-02-2007, 08:14 PM
We got just over 40mpg on a recent trip from nebraska to chicago. Thats in a fully loaded trunk (cloths, crib, snacks, toys etc) 2 kids and the wife. The 40ish mpg came at about an avg 70-75mph.. When I pushed 75-80mph it definately started to drop.. to about 35mpg.

Otherwise, with my wife driving (much nicer to the car) during the normal week she see's about 30-33 in town. When I drive.. not so hot 25-29mpg avg.

Granted that drive, or our in town driving doesn't involve a lot of hills, but the car is always loaded with kids and groceries etc.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Good to know

Good to know what I can expect here in O-Town in about a month when my fit comes in.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:08 PM
iwillfit
Not true GoFits. I drove to Houston last summer from Dallas with the A/C on, average speed about 75 MPH, and got 41 MPG going and about 38 on the way back. My Fit is a 5 speed base model.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by iwillfit
Not true GoFits. I drove to Houston last summer from Dallas with the A/C on, average speed about 75 MPH, and got 41 MPG going and about 38 on the way back. My Fit is a 5 speed base model.
Hmmm you're probably a bit smoother driver than myself then.
I need to work on keeping a constant speed.

For me, to get 41mpg, it would take what I mentioned....that's more accurate, right? haha

Old 02-07-2007, 06:46 PM
just to chime in on this one.....i hit 42 mpg on a trip from Los Angeles to Vegas......steady 65-70 mph and it got me good mileage. that was in my Sport Auto.....taking the 5 speed manual next month to vegas again to see if i can get the same if not better.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:49 PM
I came close to 40 mpg numerous time but I had to be at 65 mph tops and no hard acceleration. I wonder what their driver did. The city mpg still sucks.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
I hit 41mpg on my last tank. As long as I dont accelerate hard, I get at least 37mpg on average.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
I think people that live in flatlands areas are seeing high 30's/possibly 40's with the Fit. I have a lot of hills in my area and I'm getting high 20's still. Mostly city driving. I'll be taking my first trip in the Fit here soon and I'll report back with the long distance highway mileage.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Kansas City to Paducah, Ky for my sister's wedding got me 40 on the way down and 41 on the way back...BUT, like others, that was setting the cruise on 65 and up-shifting around 2500 rpm when I did exit the highway. I'm seeing my mileage drop significantly from 65 to 70. I'm not necessarily a skinny guy, so I'm sure that hurts...but I don't weigh as much as 2 adults, 2 kids, and a trunk full of luggage like the one who got 40 at 70-75 with all that. Kinda baffled as to how that happened.

I'm finding that HOW you drive makes more impact on your mileage than anything. Ya, it's fun to wind it out in 3rd to feel the pull between 3,000 and 4,500 rpm, but your mileage will suffer significantly.

It kinda amazes me how some people think that just because it's RATED to run between 33 and 38, they can run it as hard as they want and expect to see those numbers. It's just not gonna happen...not on this little 4-banger we've got.

Last edited by BigBadMadMan; 03-15-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Wind and attitude also matter

On long trips, headwind or tailwind (or variations thereof) can be a big factor, especially in a hi-profile car like the Fit. I'll bet driving on the plains with a crosswind is quite an adventure, especially when one of those big haulers passes you.

Other than wind/temperature (AC on or off), fuel blend (ethanol lowers mpg etc.) and other factors that are relatively hard to control, the best way to squeeze maximum mileage out of this car is to keep all changes in speed as gradual as possible.

An earlier thread on gas mileage talked about throttle (rather than RPMs) being what really counts in gas consumption. Use the throttle as gently as possible (no gunning when the light changes to green--or amber!), and use the brake as little as possible, (slow down gradually whenever you can safely do so). This is not really possible in hilly areas or urban settings but entirely doable out in flatland country--provided the driver is willing to adopt different habits.

Unfortunately the high stress culture we live in makes most folks pretty tense behind the wheel and it is hard to break out of that hyper-competitive/roadrage-ready/big-darn-hurry attitude when we slip behind the wheel.

Hey, take up yoga or meditation, and strive toward a less anxious outlook on life in general. It will improve both your mind-body health AND your gas mileage, I promise!

Old 04-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I have no idea if this is actually true, BUT a guy at the Honda dealership claimed that he got 51 MPG in his Fit 5-speed, base model, no options, driving from New Jersey to Ohio on premium fuel. It sounds outrageous but perhaps it's true.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:45 AM
I have hit 51 MPG once on my Fit 5-speed using regular fuel, of course the highway I was driving on was only 50mph limit.

Originally Posted by storm88000
I have no idea if this is actually true, BUT a guy at the Honda dealership claimed that he got 51 MPG in his Fit 5-speed, base model, no options, driving from New Jersey to Ohio on premium fuel. It sounds outrageous but perhaps it's true.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Wow, so it's possible afterall. 51mpg is insane! Take that Hybrids.

Quick Reply: Popular Mechanics Honda Fit Sport: Long-Term Test — First Report