General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Rear Frame Section Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2022 | 03:18 PM
|
Rear Frame Section Replacement

I have a 2010 Fit base model and the metal frame above the driver side rear spring is rotted. Does anyone make a frame section replacement that can be welded or bolted into place?
Attached is a pic showing the issue. Also, if anyone happens to know someone in the Albany, NY area that does this type of work, please let me know.

Old 10-09-2022 | 06:40 PM
I can only make a general recommendation as I'm not from your area, but a good body shop can probably fix this or recommend someone to you.

Warning 1: it might not be cheap, as they're going to have to cut out the rot and replace it with actual metal. Based on your picture, that's going to be a lot of cutting and replacing.
Warning 2: Along those lines, before making this repair I would carefully examine your car for other areas that are nearly gone. Once you get to this stage, where pretty much every surface in your picture shows heavy corrosion, you will probably be chasing your tail trying to keep the car together. If you start poking around the corroded areas with a screw driver you might find that this isn't the only rotten spot on the underbody.

For your sake I hope that's not the case, but it usually is with salty NE cars.

Old 10-10-2022 | 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
It looks like that rot started at a weld seam. You can see the slightly rusty weld in the attached photo of my '09. So be sure to check the same spot on the other side.

And for those lucky enough to have a driveway and a garden hose, my '09 shown above drives in equally salty northeast Ohio. But I obsessively flush out the underside with a garden sprinkler whenever the temperature gets even just a degree above freezing. That sure helps slow down the rust. The flushing is a pain: get out the hose, freeze your fingers, drain the hose, etc. but I don't like machine car washes and I doubt their undercarriage spray is very thorough. The picture is from October of 2021, so the car had twelve winters on it then. (The red thing is an air helper spring).

Old 10-10-2022 | 02:50 PM
|
Originally Posted by Drew21
I can only make a general recommendation as I'm not from your area, but a good body shop can probably fix this or recommend someone to you.
Thanks for the replies. The other side has surface rust, but is fairly solid for now. I'm looking to buy some extra time for this car, so I'm keen to have it repaired, or repair it myself.
I was wondering if there was a company that makes frame replacement parts that once the rot is cut out, could be welded or bolted in. This car only has 160 kmi on it.
Unfortunately, the previous owners who had it most of it's life weren't very diligent about washing the underside. I bought it at 120 kmi two years ago.

Edit to add: Perhaps there is a junkyard that would cut out a piece of the uni-body coil spring mount area and ship it? I just talked to a local yard I've done business with and they said they would
do it if they have one that is in good shape. Are there any good Honda online parts yards out there? Either that or I'm going to have to have something fabricated.

Last edited by Homebrewz; 10-10-2022 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-30-2022 | 10:17 AM
|
Update: I decided to try and have it repaired, because the car is only 12 years old and at 160 kmi, which I think is only halfway through the life of a Honda product. Also, the rust on the rest of the car wasn't nearly this bad. It will also keep it out of the scrap yard for the time being and prevent me from having to deal with the used car market, such as it is.

I found a local junkyard with a good donor car and a welder willing to do the work. The junkyard cut out the piece of frame for the repair based the specifications provided by the welder. The welder cut out the rotted part and welded in the replacement patch and painted everything with POR 15. He even patched up a fatigued section where the frame bolts to the suspension in front of the rear wheel. Pics attached, and yes, I plan on replacing those shocks in the next week.

Donor section of frame from 2009 Fit.

Repair: Bottom View

Repair: Top View

Old 11-30-2022 | 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
How much did it cost you?

Old 11-30-2022 | 04:03 PM
|
Originally Posted by Frenzal
How much did it cost you?
Frame section: $150 + tax = $162
Welder: $650
Total: $812

Worth it for me (IMO) to avoid dealing with the used car market at the moment and keep this thing out of the scrapyard for now.

I'd still like to know if there is any company out there making patch panels. I'd like to replace the rockers.

Old 11-30-2022 | 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Not that bad! Good for you!

Old 12-04-2022 | 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
These cars do NOT have frames. They are a unibody construction. So you can't just replace sections without some serious surgery work.

I would scrap that car and buy a new one. Because if the rust is that bad there. It's like that everywhere else on the car. You will just be chasing problems for the rest of the cars lifetime.

Old 12-04-2022 | 12:01 PM
|
Originally Posted by NWCH
These cars do NOT have frames. They are a unibody construction. So you can't just replace sections without some serious surgery work.

I would scrap that car and buy a new one. Because if the rust is that bad there. It's like that everywhere else on the car. You will just be chasing problems for the rest of the cars lifetime.
I was using the term frame for lack of a better term. The rest of the car is not nearly that bad, otherwise I would have sold it for parts. With the recent repair, it has at least another year or two left.