General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Is the shifter too far?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Is the shifter too far?

Do you think so? I never thought of it, then I tried a new shift knob that makes the throws shorter. Although it didn't occur to me at first, I notice I tend to lean to the right and frontwards to shift. I found out I did this w/ the stock knob.

I rememeber my bro's s2000 was near ur hand w/o u having to straighten your elbow. Is reaching to shift normal for non-race cars? I've driven the CRX, but now that we got rid of it, I don't remember if I had to reach.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
I think the placement of the shift lever is ideal, at least for me.

You will not find S2000 style placement in most cars, esp FWD ones.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:54 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
yeah the s2000 is a roadster, everything is within non-straightening-your-elbow reach (almost). maybe you're just sitting too far back, do you lean back a lot? i find the shifter position great on the fit.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:18 AM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
yeah the s2000 is a roadster, everything is within non-straightening-your-elbow reach (almost). maybe you're just sitting too far back, do you lean back a lot? i find the shifter position great on the fit.
Well, going to fifth is the main difficult one to reach. I also lean to get enough momentum so I don't push my body back.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:22 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
oh i mean do you sit with your seat position leaned far back? if you do, you can try to sit straighter up? i just experimented with my seat position till i found the right one

Old 12-20-2006, 06:23 AM
a knob isn't what changes a shift throw by making it shorter, a short sifter does, but anyways i'm 5'4" and have no issue with shifting at all, just as others stated you might want to check you gangsta lean in your driving position to seen how much lean your wasting.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by Gordio
Do you think so? I never thought of it, then I tried a new shift knob that makes the throws shorter. Although it didn't occur to me at first, I notice I tend to lean to the right and frontwards to shift. I found out I did this w/ the stock knob.

I rememeber my bro's s2000 was near ur hand w/o u having to straighten your elbow. Is reaching to shift normal for non-race cars? I've driven the CRX, but now that we got rid of it, I don't remember if I had to reach.
Is this with your new VooDoo shift knob? The most important thing that I noticed is how much shorter the VooDoo is and feels like a shorter throw to me!

Old 12-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
oh i mean do you sit with your seat position leaned far back? if you do, you can try to sit straighter up? i just experimented with my seat position till i found the right one
I did make the seat up right, but I don't like it. I prefer leaning back a slight incline, but having to reach. BTW I don't lean back too much, just not 100% upright. I'm 5'4 and have short arms, but I don't think this should matter.

Originally Posted by FitSam
Is this with your new VooDoo shift knob? The most important thing that I noticed is how much shorter the VooDoo is and feels like a shorter throw to me!
It's acutally for both. I learned that even with the stock taller knob, I had been leaning but didnt' notice it. I have less lean when I rest on an imaginary arm rest.

The fact that i've been leaning in an imaginary arm rest, I might get a real JDM one It'll make storage easier, and I'll have a place to rest my shifting arm.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:21 AM
I think the shifters in most cars are too far forward. I would love to have it closer like in the S2K, but that just doesn't seem to to be the way most 'practical' cars are designed....

The Fit's one is just a bit too far fwd for me, but better than every other non-sports car I tried. One of the many reasons I decided against a Matrix was that the shifter was WAYYY too far forward for my taste.

I think if you could put a short elbow on the fit shifter to move the knob about an inch or so closer, without making the throw much longer, it might solve the problem for me. I haven't really put any effort into trying that because it's not a big deal, but if there's an easy/cheap way to do it, I'd love to try. Any ideas?

Old 12-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by RedAndy
I think the shifters in most cars are too far forward. I would love to have it closer like in the S2K, but that just doesn't seem to to be the way most 'practical' cars are designed....

The Fit's one is just a bit too far fwd for me, but better than every other non-sports car I tried. One of the many reasons I decided against a Matrix was that the shifter was WAYYY too far forward for my taste.

I think if you could put a short elbow on the fit shifter to move the knob about an inch or so closer, without making the throw much longer, it might solve the problem for me. I haven't really put any effort into trying that because it's not a big deal, but if there's an easy/cheap way to do it, I'd love to try. Any ideas?
Yea. I like how the Civic si's thing "comes at you". I can imagine a fit can be the same curvy stick, even if it's ugly. Or if they have another center console to hide the curves, so it looks like it's sticking out from a closer position. That'd be sick. I guess if a market demands it, it'll come. But reading this thread, I think few people would want a closer stick.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:53 PM
The fact that i've been leaning in an imaginary arm rest, I might get a real JDM one It'll make storage easier, and I'll have a place to rest my shifting arm.[/quote]

An armrest is a must, got one from Zataproducts and it's nice to have!

Old 12-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Damn you! I only noticed it once I read your thread! Now my shifter seems too far! j/k hehe