General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Help! Vibration coming from the rear tires / wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Help! Vibration coming from the rear tires / wheels

Visit 1: Dealer re-balanced all four wheels. Vibration diminished but was still present.

Visit 2: Dealer did a wheel balance on a machine with rollers to simulate a road test that suppose to address tire uniformity, tire and rim runout, etc. Dealer said vibration went away. I felt vibration in the rear still present.

Visit 3: Dealer replaced rear tires and used the wheel balance with the roller and said vibration is gone. I still feel the vibration in the rear.

The Fit Sport has 2500 miles and has had the vibration in the rear from day one. Told the dealer vibration is still present after third visit. They pretty much said nothing else can be done. Oh, and they no longer feel the vibration in the rear. They claim this is a characteristic of the Fit Sport because of the 14" wheels. BTW - I have the Dunlop A/S. They also said they would need to drive another Fit Sport for comparison but dealer does not have one available.

Any thoughts / advice in terms of what my next step should be would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:43 AM
if they rebalanced 3 times, wouldn't it make sense to look at other sources instead of the tires? do you feel the vibrations all the time or only above a certain speed? ever tried swapping the rim/tires from the front to back? if you still feel vibrations after doing that, then it's definitely not the tires.

Last edited by etong; 12-08-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Frank Patrick
Einstien said-definition of insanity was doing the same thing over an over and expecting different results.
Had the same thing-finally got under car myself and stared moving things around checking for any thing that did not seem tight. Finally found upper right rear shock bolt had some play in it, that was not apparent on left shock. A half a turn on that bolt-and presto--- vibration gone.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by etong
if they rebalanced 3 times, wouldn't it make sense to look at other sources instead of the tires? do you feel the vibrations all the time or only above a certain speed? ever tried swapping the rim/tires from the front to back? if you still feel vibrations after doing that, then it's definitely not the tires.
the vibration is more apparent after 50mph but does not get worse the faster you go after 50mph. it's a small vibration that i feel under the driver's seat and is annoying the heck out of me. i will swap rims w/tires with the front and back this weekend. i'll report back.

would an alignment cause this? i'm thinking of having another Honda dealer look at it.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Frank Patrick
Einstien said-definition of insanity was doing the same thing over an over and expecting different results.
Had the same thing-finally got under car myself and stared moving things around checking for any thing that did not seem tight. Finally found upper right rear shock bolt had some play in it, that was not apparent on left shock. A half a turn on that bolt-and presto--- vibration gone.
it's definitely worth a look. thanks!

Old 12-08-2006, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
If you are not getting satisfaction from your dealer, take it to another dealer if you can and if not call Honda of America and complain. That will usually get you a result.

Story for this: At my Honda dealer the service manager told me that the owner of an 07 CRV said it was pulling to the right, 2 alignment checks and many service tech. drives later, Honda was unable to recreate the pulling. Customer called Honda to find out what to do (and complain I'm sure), Honda sent 4 engineers from Japan to north Idaho to take a look at it.

So, calling Honda to complain can get you something. Maybe not a visit by some Japanese engineers, but it should help matters.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:00 PM
wow are u serious? was the owner george bush?

Old 12-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by reviano
the vibration is more apparent after 50mph but does not get worse the faster you go after 50mph. it's a small vibration that i feel under the driver's seat and is annoying the heck out of me. i will swap rims w/tires with the front and back this weekend. i'll report back.

would an alignment cause this? i'm thinking of having another Honda dealer look at it.
i don't think it's alignment but i'm no expert. i'd try another dealership. they might give you the typical "i don't feel anything" or "i don't hear any noise" response but you'll never know

Old 12-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Do you drive w/ the back windows down? When you do so, the car does shake sometimes.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
Your dealer is stupid. Why would the size of the wheel have anything to do with a vibration? The sport has 15" wheels not 14s as well.

Swap wheels from front to back/left to right like others have said. An alignment check is not a bad idea either.

If you wanted to be real hardcore, have them take the wheels off a 4 bolt civic and try them on there. Either way from their explanations sounds like they are clueless. Id try another dealer if at all possible or a phone call to Honda.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
If the alignment is off severely enough to cause uneven tire wear (toe for example) and then the tires were moved from their original locations on the car it could certainly cause vibrations. Not saying that is what happened in this case but poor wheel alignment can definitely cause vibration.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:05 PM
12/14 Update!

Let me refresh this thread:

I am feeling a soft as oppose to loud vibration coming from the rear wheel / tires. Most apparent 50+ mph. It feels like the wheels not balanced but the vibration interval does not increase the faster you drive. You feel it more the faster you drive.

Took my Fit to Pauly Honda:

1st Visit: rebalanced wheels / tires - said psi was not the same for all tires. also said one wheel balance was off by 1/2 oz.

Vibration still there.

2nd Visit: rebalanced wheels / tires again. two mechanics and a service advisor where on the test drive and all confirmed vibration is gone.

Vibration still present.

Note: I asked them to rotate my wheels / tires with no change as the same vibration is still felt.

3rd Visit: The District Service Manager for Honda America test drove the car. He said this is a normal vibration coming from the engine / driveshaft of the car. He also said, "when you have a car of this size and with cat like reflex handling you will feel more of the road then normal".

He confirmed all suspension bolts are torqued to Honda specs.

I asked him what my options are at this point. He concluded to say there is nothing wrong with my Fit as the vibration is normal as it's a result of the characteristics of the car.

I could try another dealer but feel my VIN has been "flagged".

Am I at a dead end? Any thoughts / advice would be very much appreciated.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:06 PM
test drive another fit? if it's the same, ain't nothing you can do

Old 12-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by etong
test drive another fit? if it's the same, ain't nothing you can do
yeah, i did test drive another fit sport and did not feel the vibration. unfortunately, the district service manager also test drove another fit sport and said both fits drive identical.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
Drive with him in a Fit and then drive with him in your Fit. Point it out to him in the car when in happens. Point to something shaking maybe if possible. If its as noticable as you say it is, and he has any sort morals (ha!) he will have to admit there is an issue.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:59 PM
I've had a vibration with my Fit Sport since I bought it. Don't know if it's the same as yours, but it is definately noticeable at 65-70 and is rythmic, like every 3-4 seconds. They've checked my alignment at 1800 and the balancing... still there....took it back at around 3600, they couldn't reproduce it...so they did nothing.... discovered it needed to let it set for over 12 hours before it would do it...around 8000 they were able to replicate the vibration and replaced the front tires and moved the back tires to the front....vibration still there. It's going back tomorrow car's at 10000 miles. I've gotten the explanation that it's the tire flatspotting after sitting. If this last visit doesn't do it, I'm going to replace the Dunlops. Hopefully this helps.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yep, i was going to recommend checking the rear dampers if
the tires/wheels check out that they are straight and balanced.

next would be wheel bearing, brakes, etc.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
I had vibration issues from day one on my 08 base model. It magically disappeared when I installed a winter tire and wheel package (thanks tirerack!). In fact, my Michelin snow tires run smoother and quieter than the all-season Dunlops. I suspect the major cause of my problem was not unbalanced wheels but that the OEM Dunlops aren't particluarly great tires, on the base model anyway.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:20 PM
My 07 Sport MT has also done it since NEW. I don't travel interstate speeds much, but when I do, it's also rhythmic, on off about 68+ mph indicated.

I have original wheels/tires, and winter wheels/tires. I have had NO change in vibration with either wheelset, or after rotation- it can't be wheel balance, especially since dealer balanced at first complaint without change.

It's not engine related because it's not RPM dependent. 4th gear at same +/- 3500 rpm, no vibration. I also don't think it's tranny for the same reason.

So, I think it's axles either out of balance, or loose at the CV joint. I'm gonna try suggesting replacement of them. Thoughts?

It was friggin' awful this weekend at anything above 70. I don't think it's tires because it seems harmonic. On off on off...

Old 03-09-2008, 01:56 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
EDIT: oops i misread something. anyway, i don't have the problem but keep us updated on your issue please.

Quick Reply: Help! Vibration coming from the rear tires / wheels