General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Help! Vibration coming from the rear tires / wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:00 AM
How about you take it to a tire professional to have them look at it?

Old 03-09-2008, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
The dealer should have done this but maybe not:
1. check both wheels for runout - that is sideways movement of wheel or tire, measured as variation of rim or tire sidewall on a slowly rotated tire/wheel.. Should not exceed .025" Remember to check both inside and outside.
2. Out of round tire, measured by variation in tread - or wheel - radius on a slowly rotated tire.
3. check tires and wheels for bulges, dents, or indents
All of these will cause vibrations.
And do check to see that you have the same brand and line of tires on both ends of the axle. Different brands - or type/line of tires of same brand - will not necessarily have the same section width, weight, or diameter or running radius. Any of which will cause vibration.
Ditto valve stems.
And last but not least compare tread conditions such as cupping, nails, etc.
Good luck.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:38 PM
interesting thread...have noticed a little buzz in mine around 60-65. not the normal wheel shaking thing, but definitely a vibration. Spent most of the weekend driving other cars and it is noticeably absent. Guess it's time to start a list for my first dealership visit post purchase.

Mark

Old 03-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks for this. My problem is that with two sets of wheels (winter and summer), and given that I rotate them with each change (5-6k miles), each combination of front back with both sets of tires vibrates exactly the same way, at the same indicated speed.

I spoke with the service representative today, explained what I was finding, and he thinks it's an axle (both?) as well. We're going to get into it next week when I have a moment to get a tech ridealong. Likely we'll check runout and balance on the summer set, since it doesn't matter which set I use, I don't think it's a factor. I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:37 AM
...and now my own personal case, opened a new thread with this very same issue but apparently not many people with experience on premature and uneven tire wear!

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tire-wear.html

In my case, I have NO vibrations and NO tire wear with the original 15" tires and wheels that I always use during the snowy season...

The alignment test produced normal results, only the rear toe was in red but the dealer said that the car (not just mine, all Fit and Civics) is not built to allow alignment adjustment for the rear wheels, just for the front ones...

Rear toe: Specifications: Left: Min: 0.00", Max: 0.15", My car: 0.20"
Right: Min: 0.00", Max: 0.15" My car: 0.00"

Told I have to live with this issue, vibrations AND premature tire wear (only for the 205x40R17 tires) or use just the 15" stock tires all the time!

And btw, my car has not been lowered, using the very original stock suspension...

Anybody else with this very issue, vibrations and/or premature tire wear?

Chris