General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Locking gas cap for 2013 Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Locking gas cap for 2013 Fit?

I asked at the dealer, and they don't have a locking gas cap as an OEM accessory. Is there a recommended one that has maximum likelihood of compatibility with a 2013 Fit?

As for how to install it, my current plan is to ask the dealer (which has a shop) if they would do it. Failing that, their is a private shop that I will turn to.

The suggested option should be orderable from Canada. If it has a tether, so much the better, but that's secondary.

Thanks.

Last edited by TommyMadison; 05-11-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TommyMadison
I asked at the dealer, and they don't have a locking gas cap as an OEM accessory. Is there a recommended one that has maximum likelihood of compatibility with a 2013 Fit?

As for how to install it, my current plan is to ask the dealer (which has a shop) if they would do it. Failing that, their is a private shop that I will turn to.

Thanks.
Doesn't the door to the gas cap prevent access unless you have access to the interior of the vehicle? What's the need to lock the actual gas cap?

Old 05-11-2020, 11:00 PM
The gas cap from the Honda Element can lock and fits the Fit. It comes with two keys (I think...maybe it was just one). You can also get it rekeyed to your ignition key.

My original tether did not fit on the new gas cap.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:04 PM
Old 05-11-2020, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
@2Rismo2: I've been driving this Fit since 2013, and now that you mention it, I can't actually recall 100% whether I pop the gas cap door using a lever inside the car. I'm about 95% sure that I simply step out and open the gas cap door.

@marmaladedad: OK, I'll ask the Honda dealer/shop. Hope they will do this. And thanks for the heads up about the incompatibility with the tether.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:54 AM
If the Canadian Fit is like my US Fit, I have to give it a push for the gas cap to pop open, then pull it the rest of the way. My first time filling up, I had no idea where the gas door release lever was. 😂

Old 05-12-2020, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member
You can order from Toronto Honda Parts, which should be cheaper than your local dealer. No need for any install...just remove your gas cap and replace with the new one. Don't pay for this...

Old 05-12-2020, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
@2Rismo2: I've been driving this Fit since 2013, and now that you mention it, I can't actually recall 100% whether I pop the gas cap door using a lever inside the car. I'm about 95% sure that I simply step out and open the gas cap door.

@marmaladedad: OK, I'll ask the Honda dealer/shop. Hope they will do this. And thanks for the heads up about the incompatibility with the tether.
OK my mistake and fault for commenting on a generation I have no idea about On my 2015, there's a lever on the inside to release the door.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
Thanks, marmaladedad. I left a voicemail with them. Do you know if that's actually a Honda product, or after market? If the latter, then I won't be able to get the local Honda dealer/shop to order it, I suspect.

AFTERNOTE: Honda won't do it. There is no officially recognized Honda gas cap for the 2013 Fit LX other than the one I have. They will not try alternatives, even if I ask them to, and even if it's from another Honda (e.g., Element).

Time to look for a shady Mom & Pop mechanic....

@Frenzal Then again I may do it myself. YouTube shows that all you do is use pliers to pull the tether off of the gas cap door.

OOPS: Bernardi Parts is not in Canada. Looks like I will take my chances with Amazon.ca, but will try Toronto Honda Parts first. Problem is, I'm not sure what part to order from them. I tried to ask via their online question submission form (http://torontohondaparts.com/Contact.aspx) but repeatedly get the message that "there was a problem sending your message".

Sigh.....

Last edited by TommyMadison; 05-12-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:20 PM
Thanks, marmaladedad. I left a voicemail with them. Do you know if that's actually a Honda product, or after market? If the latter, then I won't be able to get the local Honda dealer/shop to order it, I suspect.

AFTERNOTE: Honda won't do it. There is no officially recognized Honda gas cap for the 2013 Fit LX other than the one I have. They will not try alternatives, even if I ask them to, and even if it's from another Honda (e.g., Element).

Time to look for a shady Mom & Pop mechanic....

@Frenzal Then again I may do it myself. YouTube shows that all you do is use pliers to pull the tether off of the gas cap door.

OOPS: Bernardi Parts is not in Canada. Looks like I will take my chances with Amazon.ca, but will try Toronto Honda Parts first. Problem is, I'm not sure what part to order from them. I tried to ask via their online question submission form (http://torontohondaparts.com/Contact.aspx) but repeatedly get the message that "there was a problem sending your message".

Sigh.....
Have you tried searching on Google/eBay for just the part # ?

It is a Honda part. 17680-SAA-G00

Would they fill the order if you gave them only the part number?

Last edited by marmaladedad; 05-12-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for confirming that it's a Honda part. But Honda does not condone its use in the 2013 Fit. The Benardi pages says that the purchase is therefore entirely at the buyer's risk.

I can spend time searching for that part, or I can get
Amazon Amazon
, which Amazon attests is compatible with my model/year/trim. It's also cheaper, and apparently, if it *doesn't* fit, I can send it back.

Am I missing something, or does the amazon.ca option seem safer at this point?

Old 05-13-2020, 05:24 AM
5 Year Member
I would recommend reading this page for fitment info: https://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-...0-SAA-G00.aspx

Might be another interesting watch:

Sadly, seems the Honda cap is not available through Toronto Honda parts... Again, here in Canada, we don't get many things, and when we get them, they are overpriced.

I already ordered from College Hills Honda, don't know of they still ship to Canada.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
I did read the fitment info, which is what I paraphrased in my last post.

The YouTube video shows how easily the gas cap can be unlocked, but I agree with the commentators that it still has deterrent value.

The decision I'm facing is whether to continue looking for the Bernardi gas cap from a Canadian source or to go with the Amazon gas cap. The factors to weigh are their relative risks in terms of fit, and their costs.

I think I am leaning toward the Amazon gas cap....actually, just checked...while no one confirmed the fit in response to my questions on Amazon.ca and Amazon.com, Gates (the company) responded to my submission on the Contact page and confirmed the fit:

Last edited by TommyMadison; 05-13-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
I guess you have your answer...

Old 05-13-2020, 02:21 PM
Thanks for confirming that it's a Honda part. But Honda does not condone its use in the 2013 Fit. The Benardi pages says that the purchase is therefore entirely at the buyer's risk.

I can spend time searching for that part, or I can get https://www.amazon.ca/Gates-31780-Fu...=Fit&Year=2013, which Amazon attests is compatible with my model/year/trim. It's also cheaper, and apparently, if it *doesn't* fit, I can send it back.

Am I missing something, or does the amazon.ca option seem safer at this point?
I use the Honda Element locking gas cap, and have so for the past two years (purchased May 2018). It definitely works and fits. Companies like Bernardi put the disclaimer there to absolve themselves of any liability.

Would having the gas cap shipped to someone in the US, then shipped to Canada, be any cheaper? I guess I am assuming tariffs are paid on goods sold by commercial sellers, but are they charged if one was sending a gift/package to a friend across the border? Sorry, I do not have any experience sending items to Canada.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
@marmaladedad: I appreciate your anecdotal confirmation. Right now, it boils down to comparative convenience and certainty of fit.

I get that the Bernardi disclaimer is likely for unnecessary absolvement of liability. Your anecdote is that it fits, but I'm unclear on the year and trim of Fit.

On the other hand, Gates has specifically stated that their cap fits my car's year and trim, it is cheaper, and it can be ordered in Canada without having to figure out how. Hopefully, the quality isn't bad.

My next challenge seems to be removing the existing cap tether from the gas cap door. Its anchor is not the same as I've found on YouTube. In fact, from the two relevant videos I found, I may have to just crush the piece that anchors on the door:

Last edited by TommyMadison; 05-13-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member
Or just cut the tether.

As for the Fit, pretty sure all Fits have the same gas cap, regardless of the trim. Otherwise, Honda would be really dumb!

Old 05-14-2020, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Well I certainly wish they did that, but there could be reasons why they didn't -- ones that I can't anticipate.

I can cut the tether, but hopefully, there's a way to avoid that. I will muss around with it over the weekend...

Old 05-14-2020, 11:37 PM
The plastic piece that the tether is connected to can be pried up and off the fuel-filler door. I do not recall how it connects - I think it has a plastic anchor/hook on the underside that you push through.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, there was all sorts of structure in the plastic housing, and I wasn't too sure what pressure mechanism kept it anchored. However, it came off without too much fuss with firm pressure and jiggling with a needle nose pliers.