General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2009 Fit won't start because can't get key into the ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
2009 Fit won't start because can't get key into the ignition

The key on my 2009 Fit won't go all the way into the ignition, it goes about 3/4 of the way, and it is then difficult to pull out of the ignition. I've tried both keys, wiggling and fiddling with it for several hours, pulling the steering wheel every which way. Looks like the ignition key cylinder is damaged and will not let the key go all the way in. Any ideas on how to repair (short of a $1000 repair at the dealer for a new ignition assembly)? Can I pull the cylinder and replace that, and get a new key? We pulled it apart last night trying to fix it, but couldn't get the cylinder out yet.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Have you tried spraying some lock lubricant into the cylinder?

Old 01-30-2020, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
I had the same problem on my ‘07 Sport. I had it replaced by the dealer for about $650. I opted not to have the new ignition “rekeyed.” As a result, I now need to use my old key to open the car, and the new key to start the car. Having the ignition rekeyed would have been an extra $100 or so.
I was in “panic” mode at the time when making my decisions, so I never researched going to a locksmith. In hind sight, it seems that the only part needed attention was the unit that contained the tumbler. However, the parts department said that their data base only “listed” a part number that would replace the entire steering lock mechanism.

Last edited by macbuddy; 01-30-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by macbuddy
I had the same problem on my ‘07 Sport. I had it replaced by the dealer for about $650. I opted not to have the new ignition “rekeyed.” As a result, I now need to use my old key to open the car, and the new key to start the car. Having the ignition rekeyed would have been an extra $100 or so.
I was in “panic” mode at the time when making my decisions, so I never researched going to a locksmith. In hind sight, it seems that the only part needed attention was the unit that contained the tumbler. However, the parts department said that their data base only “listed” a part number that would replace the entire steering lock mechanism.
We pulled the assembly apart all the way to the key cylinder, I've ordered a cylinder with 2 keys for $12 on eBay. Not sure yet how I'll get the keys to work with the car, I think a locksmith can recode to the new key but haven't got there yet. And I'll have the same issue as macbuddy, having separate keys for door and ignition.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, good job! You saved $600+ over my scenario!
Yeah, take your new cylinder to have it rekeyed to your original keys.
That way you’ll be able to use your present set of keys, and not have to carry an extra set of keys all the time.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:03 PM
I had a problem with the key stripping the car locks one by one. First I had to replace the driver door lock, then came the time for the ignition lock. Every time after checking with the dealership, then a Honda spe dial shop, I was horrified by their prices. And both times I opened Ebay, bought the lock online, took it to the locksmith to readjust it for the existing key and installed the lock myself. Door lock took me about 15mins tops to remove and install. Ignition lock was a little longer, about 45mins due to the breaker bolts that supposedly protect the car from theft, but in fact just took about 2 minutes to remove and 20 mins trip to the auto store to buy another set.
so my suggestion, buy a lock online, you can also take out your existing lock to the locksmith and they will repair it easily, either way you will end up with the locksmith rekeying the lock for your key. After install the lock. And my suggestion, ask your locksmith if you need a new key, if the old one is too worn

Old 05-23-2020, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Old 05-24-2020, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
As general advice, it's also best to avoid carrying a heavy load of keys on the keyring with an ignition key. Not saying that such was the cause of troubles here, but a heavy weight on the ignition key causes it to lever, twist, bounce and wear the key and lockset as we drive down the road. I now carry my other keys on a separate ring after having this same trouble on another vehicle years ago.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
As general advice, it's also best to avoid carrying a heavy load of keys on the keyring with an ignition key. Not saying that such was the cause of troubles here, but a heavy weight on the ignition key causes it to lever, twist, bounce and wear the key and lockset as we drive down the road. I now carry my other keys on a separate ring after having this same trouble on another vehicle years ago.
Very true, Also a big clump of key can jam the starter on if twisted the right way.