Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Tinting

Darkest legal tint in Texas is 30% (metalized) 35% (dyed). I've never had a car tinted before or asked questions. First, is that really dark? Also, any suggestions on getting darker in the back and lighter further up the car? Was thinking about getting the same tint all the way around except for front windshield of course. Or, would it look better with darkest on back window and lighter on sides? Pls help .

Also, seems the most popular tinter in San Antonio is Mother's Window Tint and Alarm, anyone have experience with them? They use 3m, Johnson, and Huper Optik; which one is the best? Is there a huge lifespan difference between the dyed and metalized? I read the best was metalized though. Any help would be welcome.

Last edited by Jlimer78; 06-23-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jlimer78
Darkest legal tint in Texas is 30% (metalized) 35% (dyed). I've never had a car tinted before or asked questions. First, is that really dark? Also, any suggestions on getting darker in the back and lighter further up the car? Was thinking about getting the same tint all the way around except for front windshield of course. Or, would it look better with darkest on back window and lighter on sides? Pls help .

Also, seems the most popular tinter in San Antonio is Mother's Window Tint and Alarm, anyone have experience with them? They use 3m, Johnson, and Huper Optik; which one is the best? Is there a huge lifespan difference between the dyed and metalized? I read the best was metalized though. Any help would be welcome.
There are some tint threads floating around here... check them out to see how dark %'s are...

There are basically three levels of film quality - charcoal (the worst - not even worth mentioning), metallized (medium), and ceramic (best). Most shops offer metallized... limited warranty, will fade evenly through its life. Huper Optik is ceramic, will never fade, should have a lifetime warranty, and will be the most expensive.

I got quoted @ $350 for Huper by a reputable shop by me for reference...

Old 06-24-2006, 12:08 AM
Ya, I'm an idiot. I only looked at the first page of searches for some reason. But, any idea if Mother's does a good job anyone?