NEW! FROM RONCO!! Bullet-Proof the A/C Condenser on YOUR '09 Fit!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Seriously, its a nice lookin grille set. My girl hasn't left me the car since they arrived and I wanna pull the bumper and install everything from the back so no ZipTies are showing. High Quality look and finish.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:45 PM
need advise!!!!

Hi Guys
Started to install my billet grille and right off a problem In NJ we have front plates.the lic plate bracket attaches to the bottem grill,it blocks the billet grille from going into place.I removed the lic. plate bracket and now can install billet grille but I would have to mount lic. plate bracket with self-tapping screws into plastic bumper which i really don't want to do.any thoughts on this one help.
jimrb66

Old 04-18-2009, 07:02 AM
good idea

Thanks for some good ideas,I will post with install results by the end of the day.the silver would look good too on a SSM
Jimrb66

Old 04-18-2009, 02:06 PM
It's done

Hi All
It took about a hour but it's installed.Had to cut off the arm extensions on the Lic. plate bracket and positioned the remaining bracket on bumper,marked front and bottom install holes.drilled through bumper and used molly type fastners to mount bracket.tight hold.Top billet grill easy mount but left side top does not set in as good as right top,but not a big deal.Bottom billet grill mounts great with no fit problems.All in all one great looking part.I have 10,00 mil. on my fit and the Ac cond.was pretty beat up,glad i don't have to worry about that anymore.Now to go for a ride Jimrb66

Old 04-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Yea, I popped mine in today too, just said **** it on the plate holder til I get a ticket for it. Looks pretty good. My AC condenser is beat to shit, but now you can't see it. The only thing that sucks is you gotta cut it off to pull the fog lamps out, since it covers the mounting screws.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I GOT PICS, wooohooooooo, thought I would share, its nice quality, but it covers the fog light screws.

And my helpers, it was 90 degrees out. I washed all the cars, bikes, the boat, and put the grille on today.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:27 AM
That looks better than I thought it would!!

Thanks for the pics Shaggs

Old 04-20-2009, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Yes, now you too can keep rocks from blowing holes in the A/C condenser of your very own GE8. No, it's not from the TV infomercial guy who makes the "Showtime Kitchen Rotisserie", and the aerosol fuzzy spray paint for the bald spot on the back of your head.

This is from MrGrille, in Norco, California and eBay.
eBay Motors: 2009 Honda Fit Billet Grille Grill (item 110344948908 end time Feb-02-09 12:15:42 PST)

This is what your car looks like now- BIG rectangular gaps in the lower grill that allow rocks to bounce off the road right into your condenser (the condenser is the shiny thing you see right behind the stock plastic grill) . A dealer will happily charge you $700+ to replace your leaky condenser. This is NOT a repair covered by warranty- it will cost you. ALL Honda cars have this design flaw, but your GE8 is the closest to the ground----

Click on thumbnails to enlarge photos--

This is the new grill. It weighs 3 pounds, the bars are 1/8" thick with open spaces of 1/8" between the bars. The front face of the bars has a matte, or satin finish, and the horizontal top and bottom bar surfaces are painted flat black, as is the entire back of the grill. The eBay ad stresses the high strength of the grill, so I put two phone books on the ground, put each end of the grill on a phone book, and stood in the center of the grill. It did not flex AT ALL.

Based on its weight and extreme rigidity, I believe that this is made from 6061 T6 aircraft aluminum alloy, used in landing gear and other high stress components.

On the back side you can see the little square reinforcements between the bars, and the tiny screw holes in the squares. You can also see the large square reinforcement plates that are welded in place.

The grill comes with sheet metal clamp strips that are used with screws that go through some of those little holes in the previous photo. I personally don't like to use metal clamps that go onto plastic grills- the plastic can be bent that way. So I used 8" long black nylon zip ties instead. The zip ties can hold a weight of 75 pounds each, and I used 8 of them. My grill is not going anywhere.

On the stock plastic grill there is one massive horizontal rib in the center, and four smaller vertical ribs. I used only the vertical ribs as the anchors for my zip ties, and I placed 4 zip ties along the top and 4 along the bottom, one at each vertical rib.

Under the hood, I removed the black plastic bridge between the bumper and the radiator support (the bridge surrounds the hood latch). I temporarily taped the aluminum grill in place, then reached down between the radiator and the bumper and fed each zip tie next to a plastic rib and poked it out the front of the aluminum grill. Then I bent the point of the zip tie back and shoved it back into the grill and along the opposite side of the plastic rib. Then fed the point of the tie into the cinch, and used pliers to tightly pull all of the slack out of the zip ties while pressing the cinch as far forward on the tie as it would go.

If you have big forearms, get someone else to do this (your child for instance), or remove the bumper entirely first. Fooling around in this tight space full of sharp edges will make you bleed.

A few shots of the finished product: (looking directly between the bars from only inches away, the zip ties are absolutely invisible).

WARNING: There is another eBay vendor who sells a somewhat similar product. The vendor is Grills4U. Their billet grill is more expensive, and of much lower quality and poorer fit. I know- I used to own one on my GD3. The grill in this review is far superior in fit, finish, and strength.

Another interesting note- this vendor will have these grills available in the future in a color anodized finish. Anodizing on aluminum is an electro-chemical oxide barrier finish that prevents corrosion and won't chip off like paint. If he had a black anodized version, I would have bought that instead, but I am very happy with the high quality appearance of this one.
Thanks for all your info. I went ahead and ordered this today. I was going to pull the trigger on the satin aluminum finish off ebay. Luckily, I called Dave directly at Mr. Grille, and was able to order the same grille for the GE in the black anodized. Said it would ship by tommorrow. At first, I was going to spend $25-$30 on the painted black mesh and install from the inside. What made the decision easy was the availability of black anodized finish and the apparent strength of Mr. Grille's product.

My only question, how much modification is necessary to fit the factory license plate bracket back on once this grille is installed? Is it going to require some snipping in that area, and if so, how involved? I guess if I do have to snip, I can touch-up any exposed aluminum with some flat black automotive paint. Again, thanks.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
the GD's you can't run a factory front plate plinth with the grille. Looks pretty good without it but I hate getting pulled over and searched for no front plate tickets.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by badself
My only question, how much modification is necessary to fit the factory license plate bracket back on once this grille is installed? Is it going to require some snipping in that area, and if so, how involved? I guess if I do have to snip, I can touch-up any exposed aluminum with some flat black automotive paint. Again, thanks.
It was easy to cut slots in my MrGrille for my license bracket. I used a hack saw to cut the billets and a Dremel to cut the "grating". I did it all before installation. I never removed the license bracket.