NEW! FROM RONCO!! Bullet-Proof the A/C Condenser on YOUR '09 Fit!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
tyler banned him for not reading his private message

Old 02-02-2009, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
I can't believe that to be true...

/me steps away from convo before something else goes bad.

Cool AC shield btw.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Damn lol thats kinda harsh

Old 02-02-2009, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by madhartigan
Any idea whether they plan to produce a match for the top grille area with the Honda badge? Just for consistency across the front of the car.

I almost jumped at the grill mentioned in your original post manxman, I'm glad I waited.

The only benefit of the first one is the matching top half. Hopefully that's something Mr. Grille is planning.

-Darryl
Manxman said he'd talk to Mr. Grille and get the info back to you somehow. I'm more interested in a black anodized one, but I'm trying not to buy any more mods. I'm working on house mods now.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
too bad we'll never hear from dave again :cries:

Old 02-03-2009, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
too bad we'll never hear from dave again :cries:
Oh no, bit of a sad loss as this thread alone has the potential to save FitFreakers thousands of dollars

Old 02-03-2009, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
yep. it sure did have potential. dave was a valued member who actually gave back to fitfreak with his useful information and DIY's such as this.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Yeah I've seen him help out the forum. WTF

Old 02-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by madhartigan
Any idea whether they plan to produce a match for the top grille area with the Honda badge? Just for consistency across the front of the car.

I almost jumped at the grill mentioned in your original post manxman, I'm glad I waited.

The only benefit of the first one is the matching top half. Hopefully that's something Mr. Grille is planning.

-Darryl
OK, after 10 days of "banishment" due to an enraged baby, I can tell you what I found out from Mr. Grille. He intends to develop an upper grill to match the lower one, but the project has low priority. If you look at his website, he makes products for hundreds of different cars. When and if he addresses the small upper grill for the '09 Fit is a matter of time and potential market.

I do have to tell you that in my original DIY and discussion of decorative grills and grill materials fastened behind the lower stock grill, I wound up buying both the upper and lower grills from the eBay vendor Grills4U. I liked the lower grill pretty well, but I absolutely HATED the combo. of both the upper and lower grills. So I did not mount the upper one. This is not to insult my friend Craig, the PA "Loxmyth", but at least on my BOM '07 Sport, the upper and lower grills looked terrible together.

ALSO, you should think twice about the Grills4U products, and avoid them unless you can't live without the double grill set. There is a drastic difference in the quality of materials between the cheap stuff sold by Grills4U and the extremely heavvy duty grill (only the bottom one for now) from Mr.Grille.

Darryl, if you must have the cheap quality (and more expensive price) of the grills that theloxmyth shows in his sig., I will give you the upper grill for free (will only charge you UPS shipping to get it to you). I was going to return the upper grill for refund, but had my wreck and took so long to heal up that I never got around to returning the grill in the time allowed for returns by the vendor. Again, I urge you not to do this, but it's your car.

For those interested in the questions regarding finish- I asked the vendor if the grill that I bought was anodized, but did not get a direct answer. The material itself was invented by the vendor (Dave's) father, an Aerospace Engineer, and the alloy and finish is proprietary (secret) information. As I previously explained, everything but the front surface is painted. I put a nice coat of wax on the front, and don't have any worries about corrosion issues.

Another future project for this vendor is a fine mesh Stainless Steel grill for the Honda Fit. There is already a SS Fine Mesh grill being sold for '09 Fits on eBay for $244.00 and it looks pretty good. I flagged that one for interest, but bought the aluminum instead because I didn't want to spend $244.00, and I wanted rock protection RIGHT NOW.

Last edited by manxman; 02-12-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
What does this grill rest upon once installed? When you tighten down the zip ties, does the grill butt up against the "massive horizontal bar" you mention?.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by umop-apisdn
What does this grill rest upon once installed? When you tighten down the zip ties, does the grill butt up against the "massive horizontal bar" you mention?.
No, it rests along the bottom of the lower lip, and is securely held against the four vertical ribs. Keep in mind that it only weighs 3 pounds. With the zip ties securely tightened, it can't move AT ALL. The horizontal rib just gives the whole thing a sturdy base against which to be held. Using zip ties, you can't distort any of the plastic grill parts to the point of causing damage. Using the provided metal clamping strips, you probably could overtighten against the plastic ribs and cause distortion. I base that last sentence on the fact that the metal clamps provided with the "Grills4U" billet grill in my first thread actually did distort the ribs of my GD3 Sport. That distortion did not happen with the zip tie installation of the "Mr. Grille" hardware.

Last edited by manxman; 02-12-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave!!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave!!!!
Glad to see you back!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Banned
Thanks TurboMan, and everyone else who posted support. This ban kind of backfired on poor little TOOL.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:32 PM
First of, Dave, great find and welcome back. Second, (and I am not trying to mess with you) this is just a billet grill. A nice one though. We ran these back in the 90's on everything. I am not saying anything bad about the find or idea. Just the fact that these have been around for years (I am sure well before the 90's). Just the phrasing has been changed.

Now to try to not get banneded for something lame, just goes to show you that some people can't handle power. Well, this may be my official last post. So long folks.

Last edited by tItAnIuM; 02-13-2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typo.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:37 PM
I think he was just trying to point out the fact that this product is available

Old 02-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by tItAnIuM
First of, Dave, great find and welcome back. Second, (and I am not trying to mess with you) this is just a billet grill. A nice one though. We ran these back in the 90's on everything. I am not saying anything bad about the find or idea. Just the fact that these have been around for years (I am sure well before the 90's). Just the phrasing has been changed.

Now to try to not get banneded for something lame, just goes to show you that some people can't handle power. Well, this may be my official last post. So long folks.
Yep, I have liked billet grills since the '90s. I wrote this thread more from the condenser protection aspect of these grills than the looks, but this particular brand looks much better, is much stronger, will last longer, and provide more protection than the competing eBay brand of billet grills.

Regarding "power"- you only have power over people if they respect you, or if they fear you. TOOL will never get either one of those from me. Many of the mods and admins only imagine that they have power. Just because they are desperate to play their roles on the forums does not mean that I am.

Last edited by manxman; 02-13-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
Glad to see you back!!!

Likewise!! Hoooray!

Old 02-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Thanks Matt. It looks much better than the other one on my dead GD.
Also, did I miss something? What happened to the GD?!

Old 02-14-2009, 01:57 AM

Quick Reply: NEW! FROM RONCO!! Bullet-Proof the A/C Condenser on YOUR '09 Fit!!!!!