Auto Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Auto Door Locks

Has anyone got information on auto door locks. I'm talking about when you start driving, they lock automatically. I've noticed two things in reference to this on our 07 Fit. First, when doors are locked, you can't open the doors from the inside without unlocking them from the drivers controls. The other, is if you use the remote to unlock the doors, if a door isn't open in about 7 to 10 seconds, they relock. Is this normal.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:03 PM
you can also unlock from inside by pulling the pin thats if you're passengers.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks, yes, I'm aware of that, but for children and wife, thats not really what I was looking for. Every other car or truck I've driven lately, has the ability to just open the door as if they weren't locked. Seems a bit of a safety issue is all. Not even sure that the "passive" automatic door locks are available on any Honda.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:37 PM
My husband had an alarm installed on his Subaru that was also tied into the auto-door locking feature. The alarm installed in his current car is the same way. Probably if you ask an alarm installer you'll find your answers.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Response in red VVV

Originally Posted by Poncho
Has anyone got information on auto door locks. I'm talking about when you start driving, they lock automatically. I've noticed two things in reference to this on our 07 Fit. First, when doors are locked, you can't open the doors from the inside without unlocking them from the drivers controls.
This is normal for this car^^^(and as you already know the individual door lock tabs too) Or you can use the remote if all the doors are closed. Oh... and if you didnt lock them in the first place they will just open as well.
The other, is if you use the remote to unlock the doors, if a door isn't open in about 7 to 10 seconds, they relock. Is this normal.
yup!...But I think the manual says like 30 seconds (and 30 seconds seems about right to me when I do it)
hope that helps

Last edited by Snap Fit; 02-28-2008 at 12:03 AM. Reason: forgot a silly little one
Old 02-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Well, yes and no. Wasn't what I wanted to hear. I went to my dealer today and asked about it. According to them, passive door locks operate when transmission is taken out of park and unlocked when placed back into park. Only draw back is it's only available on the 08 models. The reason for wanting them is we have areas where you really want to have your doors locked when you drive through, so locking isn't really big deal, but if you need to get out in a hurry, the remote in the ignition isn't really handy, and the little pins aren't really easy to use either. Now if the driver was alert every time, he would reminder to us the switch on the door, right?

Old 02-29-2008, 04:21 AM
ok...sure...

Old 02-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Poncho
Has anyone got information on auto door locks. I'm talking about when you start driving, they lock automatically. I've noticed two things in reference to this on our 07 Fit. First, when doors are locked, you can't open the doors from the inside without unlocking them from the drivers controls. The other, is if you use the remote to unlock the doors, if a door isn't open in about 7 to 10 seconds, they relock. Is this normal.
I'm with you. I have an 08 Fit Sport and one of the few things I'm not happy with is the way when you autolock you can't just open the door from inside in the normal way. In an emergency, I know my instinct would be to reach for the door handle to open and seconds would be lost in realizing that didn't work and remembering to go for the unlock button. To me the value of the autolock it to keep intruders out, not to keep me in.

In my car all the doors don't automatically lock when I start to drive, but the back doors do. And, yes, the salesman told me when you unlock the back doors with the remote you have to open one of the doors in a certain amount of time or they relock. I don't like that either, but it doesn't seem dangerous, just annoying.

I really feel some of the supposed safety features on new cars are so over the top they're headed for creating hazards of their own. I almost bought a Base Fit because of the autolock, but I wanted the larger wheels and cruise control and decided I could get used to the locks. In fact, what I find myself doing is not autolocking myself in unless I see something that bothers me. For a woman who mostly drives alone that makes it a distinctly unsafe feature.