M/T Shifting tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
another thing that is important is to wear the same shoes
when you drive.

you dont necessarily need driving shoes (ie: Piloti's) but
just wear the same shoes so that you get consistency.

once you're good, then you can try different shoes.
Mostly true indeed.....
I did however finally get my Piloti's today...and DAMN what a diff!!!
Better than my old racing/driving shoes and much, much, MUCH better than my nice loafers that I have now ruined . Modulation of the pedals is more intuitive and to top it off more sensitive with out being tiring. And I must say...pretty damn comfy outside the car as well as in. (that was a bonus that I was hoping for )
...heel to toeing is much easier too now.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, i have the G16's and monaco's. planning (asking) to get the
Stradale this father's day.

Originally Posted by Snap Fit
Mostly true indeed.....
I did however finally get my Piloti's today...and DAMN what a diff!!!
Better than my old racing/driving shoes and much, much, MUCH better than my nice loafers that I have now ruined . Modulation of the pedals is more intuitive and to top it off more sensitive with out being tiring. And I must say...pretty damn comfy outside the car as well as in. (that was a bonus that I was hoping for )
...heel to toeing is much easier too now.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
"You gotta stop shifting like your grandma and start double clutching it like you should be"

lol, stupid Vin D. and his pretend driving knowledge

Old 01-15-2008, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
I like driving with my Diesels with really low profile soles. I get much more control and it's just easier to be smooth than with any other shoe I have. It seems like they are the only shoes i own that won't gradually slide up the clutch pedal. Maybe a set of Mugen pedals would be nice :-)

Old 01-15-2008, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
everything zen

i think someone else already mentioned something like this... maybe it was the water trick, idk. but you just have to get used to the fit's characteristics. what i did, was drive around for several weeks with the stereo off. that way i could here my revs better and really focus on my momentum to get nice smooth evenly matched shifts. it took a while, and i tried many different techniques; seat as far forward as possible, seat as far back as possible, depressing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, only depressing the clutch pedal enough to engage it, dumping the gas pedal before and/or after engaging the clutch pedal , pussy footing the gas pedal before and/or after engaging the clutch pedal, seatback all the way up to the default position, switching gears between 5k & 6k rpms, following the manual and switching gears as early as possible, and all of the possible combos of these styles.

you can't accelerate hard. just can't. unless you like your car to squat, making occupants jerk back and forth with every shift. you have to ease into the gas from a stop while in 1st to avoid the jerky wobbles. ease off the gas as you feel your momentum about to change, usually around 2.5k-3k rpms. now, going into second, ease back into the gas again (you can mash it if you want, but it might be a little tricky cuz you kinda have to ease the gas pedal all the way down to the floor if you do, in order to avaoid the jerky little wobbles that result if you shift in the lower range rpms [2k-2.5k]. if you shift around the higher rpms [3k-3.5k] it's a little easier). once again tho, you need to gradually ease up on the gas before you use the clutch to switch to 3rd. from there if you keep your shifts @ 3k rpms you can dump the gas pedal all the way through the rest of the shifts. just keep in mind that the trick for keeping your shifts smooth enough to do so, is to gradually ease up on the gas as you feel your momentum about to change before you want to shift again. that process does get easier of course, as you climb into the higher gears.

i had a friend who's head would bob like you described when i first got my gd3, and it drove me freaking nuts! i pride myself on being able to drive any and every car like an old pro. but i hadn't had a manual for 2 years and was used to driving a jeep cherokee 4.0L v6 automatic before it. i would mash that shit like no other! so that's why it took me so long to get used to a 1.5L 4 banger manual. once i found a combo of techniques and styles that i thought felt good, i would really put them to the test by trying them out when i was stoned. that way i would be more relaxed and comfortable and in tune to the way it felt and how well i meshed together with my car to feel apart of it, as one... like a true extension of my mind and body.

in conclusion, i found the style that best suits me, is to have the seat relatively close, but not TOO close, to where my legs aren't smashed nor are they stretched all out, that way i can use my ankle for MOST of the work (obviously better heel to toe action). and my seatback all the way up in the default position, so my arms aren't completely stretched out but also not crampt, that way i can easily reach for the shifter with out moving anything but my forearm by just bending my elbow (just like nascar drivers, or any other type of race car drivers for that matter). in the smaller gears, since i'm not ruching through, i don't have to push the clutch pedal all the way down to the floor but like i described, once i start climmbing i can shift quicker and it helps to have the clutch pedal on the floor. viola! like fukcing butter...

Last edited by los_creeper; 01-15-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
another thing that is important is to wear the same shoes
when you drive.

you dont necessarily need driving shoes (ie: Piloti's) but
just wear the same shoes so that you get consistency.

once you're good, then you can try different shoes.
Awwwwwwww.... well I guess you could say I'm somewhat of a shoewhore... well.... I know that IlovemyGD3 has way more than me, but I have over 20 pairs... LOL... so I'm wearing different shoes everyday!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by coupdetat
I like driving with my Diesels with really low profile soles. I get much more control and it's just easier to be smooth than with any other shoe I have. It seems like they are the only shoes i own that won't gradually slide up the clutch pedal. Maybe a set of Mugen pedals would be nice :-)

I hear that Mugen Pedals slip easily... go look for the thread... people seem to be unhappy with them

Old 01-15-2008, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by saiko
Awwwwwwww.... well I guess you could say I'm somewhat of a shoewhore... well.... I know that IlovemyGD3 has way more than me, but I have over 20 pairs... LOL... so I'm wearing different shoes everyday!

isn't that a small collection for a girl?

you'd think my wife is a centipede...

Old 01-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
isn't that a small collection for a girl?

you'd think my wife is a centipede...
Well I'm a guy... hahahaha

Old 01-15-2008, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Well I'm a guy... hahahaha

oh... guy with a japanese girl name... and over 20pairs of
shoes... hahaha.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
oh... guy with a japanese girl name... and over 20pairs of
shoes... hahaha.
at first i didn't understand his name but i didn't think it was a japanese grrlz name, saiko = psycho... get it?

but yeah, all those shoes had me wonderin tho.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by los_creeper
at first i didn't understand his name but i didn't think it was a japanese grrlz name, saiko = psycho... get it?

but yeah, all those shoes had me wonderin tho.
Hahaha I just like it cause saiko means the "best" in Japanese... and like you said, saiko can be read like psycho. hahahah

Old 01-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
*** back to the topic ***

Old 01-15-2008, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Hahaha I just like it cause saiko means the "best" in Japanese... and like you said, saiko can be read like psycho. hahahah
no, that's "saikoh" you spelled wrong. lol!

so you got a girls name and have over 20pairs of shoes. we call those
guys 'okama.'

just teasing. back to topic.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
no, that's "saikoh" you spelled wrong. lol!

so you got a girls name and have over 20pairs of shoes. we call those
guys 'okama.'

just teasing. back to topic.

I'm assuming you're Nihonjin... there is no 'oh' in hiragana buddy .

Again, back to topic... no more of this... go start a Japanese translation thread or something. Hahaha

Old 01-15-2008, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
shit's hardcore son. lol!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
I'm assuming you're Nihonjin... there is no 'oh' in hiragana buddy .

Again, back to topic... no more of this... go start a Japanese translation thread or something. Hahaha
not hiragana, it's called "bo in." stop offending me with your girlie
name and 20 pairs of shoes when you only need one Piloti driving shoes
to do it right on MT car. (how's that for going back to topic?) hahaha.

yah, im the king of japanese smartassing... and a seamless MT driver.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:00 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
not hiragana, it's called "bo in." stop offending me with your girlie
name and 20 pairs of shoes when you only need one Piloti driving shoes
to do it right on MT car. (how's that for going back to topic?) hahaha.

yah, im the king of japanese smartassing... and a seamless MT driver.
hahaha i cant even respond cause nothing i have to say is relevant to this thread. uh where can i get me a pair of these piloti shoes... never even heard of them

Old 01-16-2008, 02:42 AM
hahaha i cant even respond cause nothing i have to say is relevant to this thread. uh where can i get me a pair of these piloti shoes... never even heard of them
Hey ...Saiko, kenchan, los_creeper

Saiko-you can get them at the Norm Reeves honda store in Cerritos, or order them there. I tested some there and ordered and exxon valdez size 14 for me. I just got the Prototipo in the primary blue. But if you are lucky with your sizes just go to Welcome to Piloti and you can order there too. I just need to check things out in person. now that I know its good I feel ok ordering any shoe from them in the same size. If indeed you are a shoe whore then check em out...they fit nice and are also useable as everyday shoes and amazing in the car. There are like 2 or 3 other places around (closer) but not many that just happen to have them in the store. I was just there picking up my JDM Tails before X-mas so that how I noticed that they had them too. They also have a 5% discount on stuff right now because they are remodeling, and since the delivery was delayed they knocked off like another 10 bucks

Kenchan- how do you like the piloti's that you got, as I said above I just got the Prototipo's. But I am also looking to get the spydersv's and the Mulholland II's. Do you notice much of a difference between the ones you have?

los_creeper- just so i can stay on the safe side of town...just give me a heads up when you drive stoned again hahahaaa

And as for the original topic, I notice that I have to be extra granny like when the car is cold to keep it smooth as each gear initially bogs way down. I dont have to but I dont like to rev too high when its cold. Once warmed up though it wants to be changed quicker to be smoother.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
Hey ...Saiko, kenchan, los_creeper

Saiko-you can get them at the Norm Reeves honda store in Cerritos, or order them there. I tested some there and ordered and exxon valdez size 14 for me. I just got the Prototipo in the primary blue. But if you are lucky with your sizes just go to Welcome to Piloti and you can order there too. I just need to check things out in person. now that I know its good I feel ok ordering any shoe from them in the same size. If indeed you are a shoe whore then check em out...they fit nice and are also useable as everyday shoes and amazing in the car. There are like 2 or 3 other places around (closer) but not many that just happen to have them in the store. I was just there picking up my JDM Tails before X-mas so that how I noticed that they had them too. They also have a 5% discount on stuff right now because they are remodeling, and since the delivery was delayed they knocked off like another 10 bucks

Kenchan- how do you like the piloti's that you got, as I said above I just got the Prototipo's. But I am also looking to get the spydersv's and the Mulholland II's. Do you notice much of a difference between the ones you have?

los_creeper- just so i can stay on the safe side of town...just give me a heads up when you drive stoned again hahahaaa

And as for the original topic, I notice that I have to be extra granny like when the car is cold to keep it smooth as each gear initially bogs way down. I dont have to but I dont like to rev too high when its cold. Once warmed up though it wants to be changed quicker to be smoother.
i know this is gonna sound like the typical cliche stoner response, but seriously, i drive just as good... if not better, when i'm stoned. i guess i would describe it by saying that it puts me "in the zone" so to speak. i'm totally focused on the whole experience and everything going on around me, it just gives me a better more natural flow in my lines on the road. kinda slows up the action of all the other cars so that i just cut in and out like a hot knife through butter. and i bet the fact that playing hockey for 15 years helps me spot holes in traffic a whole lot easier.

btw, i agree w/you on how the temp affects shifts.

Quick Reply: M/T Shifting tips?