paddle shifting or just auto

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 09:04 PM
paddle shifting or just auto

can anyone tell me would using the paddle shifts be faster in a 400m drag or just leaving it in auto mode?heard from my buddy that the best way is to go into 1st gear and switch back to auto when reaching redline in 1st gear...any one with their experiences to share?

Old 12-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Retired Moderator
Its the most fast to put it in S but not touch a paddle.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by TOOL
Its the most fast to put it in S but not touch a paddle.

I just figured out what you meant! It shifts automaticaly in "S" mode if it gets close to redline...cuz you cant bounce the limiter huh? Unless your in neutral I believe.

Never would have thought of that! Well I guess I wouldnt have to as if I had an A/T I probably would have figured it out on accident I guess.

Still thats pretty slick!

Old 12-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
I just figured out what you meant! It shifts automaticaly in "S" mode if it gets close to redline...cuz you cant bounce the limiter huh? Unless your in neutral I believe.

Never would have thought of that! Well I guess I wouldnt have to as if I had an A/T I probably would have figured it out on accident I guess.

Still thats pretty slick!
Exactly, it holds gears longer.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:01 AM
so that means all i got to do is just to shift to s gear anvd not touch the 7 speed button and paddles at all?and how to launch our cvt off the line correctly?brake and rpm at 2500 etc...?

Old 12-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
LOL... why didn't you guys just buy mt's? haha

Old 12-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by saiko
LOL... why didn't you guys just buy mt's? haha
Mommy wouldn't let them

Old 12-21-2007, 09:28 PM
I cant. no feeling in my upper legs and my back starts to really hurt after about an hour or so of shifting in an M/T.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:04 PM
The comments about people being "childish" for wanting automatics is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. In Japan, the fit isn't even available in an MT and yet some of you guys call yourselves JDM.... tsk tsk tsk. I'm sure F1, JGTC and most new Ferrari drivers don't care their cars only have two pedals either... what about the Bugatti Veyron or the SLR? Semi or complete autos! It's an econobox, if you feel the need to "squeeze" every bit of BHP out of the L15A, by all means do it, but you're only fooling yourself it is and never will be a performance car so why pretend that it is by chirping gears? We all have Fits and we are all persecuted for it, either by Civic people or other import drivers. Why should we do it amongst ourselves? Fits are incredible cars, where's the love? It's not like he came in here with a question about his moms Scioin Xb with an auto.. jeez

Old 01-02-2008, 09:43 PM
ive driven MT cars but i got the auto sport FIT.

i think the gap between MT and AT cars is starting to get narrower, now with such advanced sequential gearboxes and DSG's and mercedes' new 7 speed AT trannies and such.

i think the satisfaction of driving a MT in comparison to an AT is that the driver is more engaged with the actual car, getting a feel for the revs, matching revs, heel toe action, etc. you also cant pop from 2nd to 4th or 4th to second in a manumatic AT car, so theres a bit of limitation there.

all in all, it shouldnt be about whether the car is MT or AT, because everyone is different. Elitism only alienates people.

heck, the new skyline gtr only comes in auto, so does that make those drivers any less of a car enthusiast than someone who drives a honda crx MT?

Last edited by Benjie182; 01-03-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Just leave it be and romp on the go pedal.

If you're flooring it and you're in the "S" mode on any car, it'll hold nicely.

Automatics are nice and easy to launch quickly.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by gar1013
Just leave it be and romp on the go pedal.

If you're flooring it and you're in the "S" mode on any car, it'll hold nicely.

Automatics are nice and easy to launch quickly.
Agree^^^
Autos actually get a bad rap IMH(of most H)O.
you can do amazing things in autos...
the transmissions have always bothered me though (interms of durability in civil road going autos...as would be expected...) Hopefully my MT will last longer and hold up better

Old 01-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
Agree^^^
you can do amazing things in autos...
Seriously. Try sticking your left foot out the window on a car with manual transmission. Doesn't work too well, does it?

Old 01-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Interestingly enough, if you are in 4th or 5th gear and going slow enough to use 3rd or 2nd. Just tap the left paddle twice, pause then tap it once, blip the throttle and it goes directly to second, skipping 3 gears! That's incredible for a manumatic I think...

Old 01-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Retired Moderator
I would like to use the paddles just for regular driving and not "Hard driving" but for some reason i feel that the more i use them the shorter my transmission will last. Is this true?

Tyler

Old 01-16-2008, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
I would like to use the paddles just for regular driving and not "Hard driving" but for some reason i feel that the more i use them the shorter my transmission will last. Is this true?

Tyler
Well if you arent beating the crap outta the fit i dont see why you would shorten the trannys life. Considering the auto does the same thing shifting and the way i see it no paddles is even worse as the car tends to down shift and up shift quite a bit due to the lack of torque our cars have.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Fitftw
Well if you arent beating the crap outta the fit i dont see why you would shorten the trannys life. Considering the auto does the same thing shifting and the way i see it no paddles is even worse as the car tends to down shift and up shift quite a bit due to the lack of torque our cars have.
Yeah thats the reason i want to be in S, so i can control when it up shifts and down shifts. if conservative it can lead to higher MPG!

Tyler

Old 01-17-2008, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
lol yeah definately would be a lot better mpg if it was possible to drive conservative to drive with paddles. makes everything so much more interesting when we drive our auto tranny =[

Old 01-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Fitftw
lol yeah definately would be a lot better mpg if it was possible to drive conservative to drive with paddles. makes everything so much more interesting when we drive our auto tranny =[
Yeah its so hard not to rev the little vtec like mad when in S, but if you didnt let it get about 3 around town you would get GREAT MPG!!!

Tyler

Old 02-28-2008, 02:36 AM
paddle shifting

Do you have to lift off the accelerator when paddle shifting or can you just floor it the whole time while shifting?

Quick Reply: paddle shifting or just auto