View Poll Results: Ever been cited by the cops for tint?
Yes
28.72%
No
71.28%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Ever peen cited for tint

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Retired Moderator
Yes but in a my friends "blacked out" Escalade, every window is DARK!

Old 10-22-2007, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
here in louisiana...the tint law is 50% upfront doors and back can be down to 5%. but if you get pulled over for anything such as speeding ect..they will give you a ticket for the tint also....

Old 10-23-2007, 06:01 AM
5 Year Member
Friend used to have a fully tinted Chryler Intrepid. He got pulled over constantly for the tint. Cost him over 500 in fines. He just got a new car, no tint. lol.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Count me in for YES.

I only had 35% tint all around (no tint allowed on front windows in BC, Canada), on a black car, so it didn't look stupid dark. I had a cop on the opposite side of a boulevard jump back into his cruiser quickly after writing them a ticket, pull a u-turn across the medium, and pull me over for nothing else but my tint.

But that was on my modded Audi. That thing was a heat score.

Took the front tint off after the ticket.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Not sure on percentages..all I know is I did the darkest possible tint from my shop all the way around. I'll deal with the consequences for good looks 8D

Old 11-07-2007, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Talking

yep in every car except the fit.Nice meters they carry in nyc slide on and write a ticket for each window! so in the fit i put 5% on all windows but the front and tell them its factory LOL and has worked at every check point and road stop.and i have been pulled over many times and through to many road checks not worth it for me anymore i do miss the tints upfront .

Old 11-08-2007, 12:11 AM
I used to get pulled over all the time in my 98 dodge neon r/t. i tinted windows for 3 years so i would get my hands on crazy colored tint and mirrored stuff and the cops would always get me and my clients. I would have to look in my ticket scrap book but i think i got 6 actual tickets and more warnings then i could count. haha. that was all back in the high school days and i have learned since. nothing but legal now. 20% on the 5 backs and the front triangles and 35% on driver, passenger windows. they actually check here in north carolina when you get your state inspection with the tint gun so you cant beat the system anymore. i will let you in on a little secret though. if you pull the tint off on the spot they cant site you but it looks really trashy and the glue residue has to be cleaned asap so it doesnt gunk up your window track. haha. it works, trust me

Old 11-08-2007, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
No tint on my Fit but my parents have dealer tint on theirs (everything but the windshield). They've never been pulled over for it (to my knowledge) here in ON. I don't know what %LT it is.

I find the visibility really bad driving their car during twilight hours. At night it's not so bad because everyone else has lights on (except cyclists and peds) but just after sunset, or on a really dark cloudy day I don't like it at all.

Also - at intersections, when letting people in, etc, I like to be able to make eye contact (or at least "head contact") with other drivers and I find it really hard to do when the front windows are tinted (either mine or theirs).

But at least we can tell our cars apart, since my mom got the same colour as me.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
NOPE - never been cited. I just roll the windows down the second I see those blue lights.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
having the windows tinted all the way around only gives the cops a reason to stop you if they think you might be suspect. usually, if you don't have anything illegal with you then you have no worries. i'm not saying it never happens but most of the time cops won't fukc with you just for tint. i'm not saying every cop is a dick but most of the time if you get stopped for speeding they look to add any and every little ticky tacky type violation to your citation ie; unsafe lane change (failure to use blinker when pulling over), no seatbelts, no front license plate, too low... etc.

idk %s but i got the darkest on all my windows and the shop's policy is, if i do ever get ticketed, they remove the tint for free and reapply it at a discount if i want.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:39 PM
i had 5% in the back and 15% up front and ive never been cited. i have been pulled over for suspected DUI (darn 4th of july madness) but they didnt say anything about the tint

Old 01-21-2008, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
i have 20% window tint all around. Cops havent cited me for riding dirty yet.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
we drive gas efficient cars, you really think a cop is going to pull us over before all those other car?

i dont know i have gotten really lucky with cops with my fit.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:44 PM
tint

I have had tint on my cars for the last 20 years (no jokes) and have gotten tickets just 3 times. the trick that works for me (so. cal) is 35% sides 20 rear AND 70% windsheid YES windsheid! so when they look at
it it looks lighter

Old 01-21-2008, 10:09 PM
in the past 5 years i have recieved over 20 tint tickets. Luckily, they were given by the North Dakota highway patrol. Patrol tickets are only 20 bucks here. However, get enough of them like i did, and the officer will suspend the registration of the vehicle, and make you bring the car in for full inspection. Pain in the ass when you have fully modified vehicles. My 00 civic si failed inspection due to ride height, tint, exhaust...etc needless to say i have yet to get ticketed in the fit. Only have 3M 35% film all around and 50% on the whole windshield.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:02 PM
I got hit for tint one time in my Civic. Pulled over for multiple other things, and they tacked the tinting on as an afterthought. An ex of mine also got hit for tinting on a Nissan Sentra. We had to take the tint off ourselves on that one, it sucked. Both incidents happened in Maryland.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i was never cited but have been pulled over several times for having tint on
the front side windows of one of my earlier hobby cars. they all stopped
to tell me about how officially there should be no tint there and warned
me about these mandatory court appearances and fix-it tickets.

they also pulled me over for not having my front plates.

then they start asking about my car and how i liked it, where i shop for
parts and becomes a tea party.

so i dont tint the front side windows any more and run front plates. lol

Old 01-25-2008, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
I don't have any tint on my car, so I wouldn't have to worry about being pulled over. I have thought a little about it, since Florida is so sunny so much and the car gets pretty hot (poor air conditioner struggles to keep up), but I prefer to wear sunglasses to handle the brightness. I like having maximum visibility at night - when I borrow a car with tinted windows, I am much less happy with driving at night - and I actually prefer the way a car looks untinted. Blacked out windows remind me of the kind of cheap toy cars where they didn't want to mold anything on the inside, so they just paint the windows black (or on, like, RC racing cars where there is no room to make it look like a normal car, since it is all electronics and gear under there, so they paint the windows black). Fairly clear windows make it look like a real car. And how can anyone appreciate all the work that goes into customizing a car interior if the windows are tinted out? :-)

I don't understand why people enjoy getting away with having darker tints than legal. There's a reason for those laws, and it isn't to harass the style-conscious. Driver visibility decreases with darker tints, and nighttime visibility really suffers. Someone mentioned twilight was the worst, because at night everyone has their lights on, except bikes and pedestrians. I want to see those bikes and pedestrians as well as I can too. Since I am operating the most dangerous vehicle (the one most able to cause injury) it's my responsibility to watch out for the safety of others as best I can.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:42 PM
5% tint for years and still no problem

Old 02-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Friend had 15% tint all around and got ticketed in irvine

Quick Reply: Ever peen cited for tint