my 24hr old FIT is killing my right knee

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Unhappy my 24hr old FIT is killing my right knee

After 3 months of research & a 20minute test drive- I bought my dream car, Fit Lx AT at 7pm Friday. Next day I drove to a meeting 2 hours away, spent the whole time adjusting my seat and steering wheel. My right leg was cramping - I realized I either had to hyperflex my ankle, or suspend my right leg in the air. I tried my sweater under my right knee, then under my ankle. Sunday, I put four mats under the gas pedle and bought a $60 seat cushion, can't say it improved. The ergonomics are defective (after the fact I have found others with the same problem). My knee is still killng me.

Today is a holiday, plan to go back to the dealer first thing in the morning (1 business day after purchase). I have never bought a new car before, what are my options (i would love a full refund for a comfy civic - is there such a thing as satisfaction guaranteed?). Is there a way to fix this car? I am 5 foot 2.

Your candid advice is most welcome, thank you..............
Lisa

Old 07-02-2007, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry about the knee. I had issues with my ankle, but eventually found a seating position that worked fine. In my case it was just a matter of setting the seat back a little farther.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I agree with the uncomfortable ankle mostly the front area due to raising the foot to be easy on the gas. The best thing is to move your foot back more by sitting a little further away from the wheel as FITrunner mentioned. Well, at least that helped me some.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
I agree, I tended to have to sit the chair back a little bit further than I usually do in other cars to be comfortable and to have a better driving experience.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Ditto to the above. It just takes some playing with the seating and you may find a extra padding or seat cover will help. I have an old knee injury from where I use to ride horses - it really flaired up the first few days after buying my Fit - but just playing with the seat set up and making some adjustments seemed to solve the problem. Just be aware of where you ankle and foot are positioned. Hope this helps. I have to say even if my knee hurt really bad - I'd still keep my Fit! Also make sure your not tightening up while your driving - muscle fatigue will cause a bad knee to hurt like heck!

Cat :x

Old 07-03-2007, 06:20 AM
Thank you all, sounds like it is not all over for my FIT yet. I can't put the seat all the way back because my the steering whell is then too far to reach. I did try driving with just my finger tips reaching it though.
Can a new car be returned?
Do you know if a civic would be better designed - for comfort?
I am thinking of a seat riser and longer pendal (get it closer to the floor).
thanks again,
lisa

Old 07-03-2007, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Lisa, It might help if you installed a dead pedal. This is a non-pedal thing that bolts in to the left of your brake (you have an auto, right?) and gives you a place to rest your left foot. It might be a long shot, but you may find it more comfortable...

Personally, I think the seat is quite comfy, but It's obviously a matter of personal comfort. I don't mean to be snide, and please don't take this the wrong way, but would a pedal extender of some kind make the drive more comfortable for you? Just a thought... Good luck!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aznguyen316
I agree, I tended to have to sit the chair back a little bit further than I usually do in other cars to be comfortable and to have a better driving experience.
Ditto. Otherwise my right foot kills me. Not sure what's up with the gad pedal angle or what.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Banned
Wow. I didn't know that this was a problem. While I am around 9 inches taller than the original poster, I just don't see this being a deal breaker for the Fit. And I can't see the discomfort or pain being that excessive to cause such a problem.

As far as your original question, some states have buyer's remorse time frames which are like 72 hours and you can bring a car back. I don't know the deal with yours. But I wouldn't think that you could return the car especially if you put any sort of significant amount of miles on it. The dealership would have to sell the car as used. I don't know but good luck nonetheless.

Kris

Old 07-03-2007, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
I've had the same problem, with the discomfort felt in the right knee, right shin, or right ankle depending on how I'm trying to compensate. It seems like it's a combination of a very light return spring on the gas pedal, insufficient support under the right thigh, gas pedal that's further back (closer to the back of the car)than the brake and clutch pedals. I really like the car otherwise, and I'm still trying things (ensolite on the seat to raise my seating position, pillow under the right thigh, added spring on the gas pedal) which help somewhat but don't really eliminate the problem. I'm 5'6". I'm sure the problem is specific to each driver's size and proportions, but I've never had this issue with any other car, including lots of Hondas. Apparently European Jazzes have seats that adjust for height, which might help but doesn't do us any good here in the US. I'd really like to hear of anyone who's managed to fix this.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThePaulson
Personally, I think the seat is quite comfy, but It's obviously a matter of personal comfort. I don't mean to be snide, and please don't take this the wrong way, but would a pedal extender of some kind make the drive more comfortable for you? Just a thought... Good luck!
I agree, the seats is quite comfy.

But "pedal extender"? I thought most people wanted a steering column extender...
After some playing around with the seat adjustment I found the best possition for me too. But that position was pretty much "straight up" in the back. And I also had the problem with my knee in the start.

Before ordering my Jazz I tested several cars, most of them in the same category as the Jazz. And they all had the same issue, I was sitting pretty much straight up with my back because and felt I had to stretch my arms to reach the steering wheel. But it seems that this is a safety thing. They dont want you to slid forward on your seat under the belt if you are crashing.

Another thing that was a bit strange for me is the distance from the throttle pedal to the brake pedal. I'm used to a Toyota Yaris MT and the space is smaller between them. But most of the time in my Jazz CVT i lean the right foot towards the right wall in the footwell on a long drive. In city driving the foot is more towards the brakepedal...

Old 07-03-2007, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
The second tank of fuel I put in my Fit was for a 400 mile trip.

I too found a leg cramp in the right foot about halfway up, but over time, found that it was a change going from a low to a high driving position from my previous cars.

Sitting in a Fit reminds me of sitting in a 1960s European car, a much more upright position. So yes, the foot position is different, but once used to it, no more cramps. Now I find the car very comfortable at 27K miles.

I do not remember having cramps going from older to newer cars, so maybe the lowered driving position came over time?

Old 07-03-2007, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
I sit rather straight up but i think i need a lumbar cushion because my lower back feels like someone knee'd it.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by F0NIX
I agree, the seats is quite comfy.

But "pedal extender"? I thought most people wanted a steering column extender...
After some playing around with the seat adjustment I found the best possition for me too. But that position was pretty much "straight up" in the back. And I also had the problem with my knee in the start.
Hehe, I would definitely be in to a steering column extender. I also sit with the seat in a more upright position. Actually, the comment about the gas pedal being so soft to the touch makes a lot of sense...

Old 07-04-2007, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThePaulson
Hehe, I would definitely be in to a steering column extender. I also sit with the seat in a more upright position. Actually, the comment about the gas pedal being so soft to the touch makes a lot of sense...
Actually, what I found was the position when driving at interstate speed. You are holding the pedal near the top for the most part, not the most natural position. My cramp was in the front of the leg.....

Maybe I should have sprung for the sport with cruise afterall?

Old 07-05-2007, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spule 4
Maybe I should have sprung for the sport with cruise afterall?
My foot was killing me so bad a few weeks ago on the gas pedal, I learned to drive with cruise control. Only down side is that it won't engage until 25 mph. I eliminated the pain by scooting my seat back, and kinda tilt my right foot to the right, and press on the bottom of the gas pedal. And yeah, now I wish I could extend the steering wheel...

As a past avid PC gamer, it's a shame they don't make a car completely maneuverable with just hand controls...

My previous vehicle, I spent several weeks properly padding the driver's seat -- it caused me massive lower back pain off the dealer lot. Sometimes cars just don't match up very well.

Last edited by xorbe; 07-05-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
I forgot to mention my left knee hurts sometimes...I guess from not having a dead pedal and sitting for a long drive (an hour or longer). I need to get myself a dead pedal someday!

Old 07-08-2007, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
I also sit with the seat in a more upright position. Actually, the comment about the gas pedal being so soft to the touch makes a lot of sense...
On the drive home from the dealer my rt. ankle cramped so much I almost had to stop and get out to walk it off.
Because of my big foot I added a second throttle return spring to all my former cars. After finding no way to install a stronger return spring I did the following. Not sure if this will solve everyone's problems but I folded a piece of carpet foam underlay and pushed it up under the gas pedal. I used a 1 1/4" screw through it into the carpet to keep it in place.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
i just drove back and forth to calif. and las vegas.on the way to ca, i noticed my shins were sore and ankle.so on the way back to las vegas i noticed my right knee hurt,i ened up sitting up straighter and moving the seat back.helped me out,the rest of the drive was good.i agree the gas pedal sticks out way too much

Old 07-12-2007, 03:15 AM
to be honest with u i dont have that problem and im 5'11
so yeah no idea .love my fit but its gas milage 18mpg city

Quick Reply: my 24hr old FIT is killing my right knee