my 24hr old FIT is killing my right knee

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
Im taking a road trip from California to Colorado next Friday. I have the seat set up where I am comfortable, but will see how it is on a long drive.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:41 AM
i have had issues, no other car i have owned has been an issue...fit seat bottom is shorter than most and offers little thigh suppport. i like it low, and the height & short seat cushion really does not favour that type of seating position. Without a height adjuster or telescopic steering you r kinda screwed...i tilt the leg/knee to the right, and sit less upright now..works not to bad for around town.....and i will be installing new aftermarket seats shortly..car runs great, too much fun to drive to give up for just a seat when a new seat will do...i expect many posts on this one...hope HONDA is taking note!!

Old 07-14-2007, 01:26 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Totally agree with DaveVM, this car would be much more rounded with some minor creature comforts... adjustable seat height, dead pedal & a the big one for me... a telescopic steering wheel! Drives me crazy how far the steering wheel is from me.

But overall it is pretty good, no aches on a long drive... the cruise control rocks!

Old 07-16-2007, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
On my trip to Las Vegas from San Francisco with a detour through Palm Springs, i had cramps, but after i got back, i didn't feel them anymore, i think it's just working out muscles you never knew you had, it goes away after a while. for me it took a 4 day road trip to get it fixed.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:37 AM
OK, I know I'm raising a thread from the dead, but this is an issue I was dealing with, and was able to solve. I thought the issue was the seat as well, but couldn't figure out why it would cause me any problem.

The Issue:

The pedal is located VERY close to the right side of the driver's footwell. This means that you can either:

1) Drive with your foot on the pedal, oriented more or less vertically. You will have to hold your leg up, or twist your leg and ankle at a funny angle.

2) Drive with your heel in front of the brake pedal, and your foot turned at a far rightward list, pushing on the accelerator with your toe. This will put your knee against the edge of the shifter - Annoying in an automatic, bad juju if you row your own.

Either way, it's going to make your thigh uncomfortable. If you hold your leg up, you'll feel that you need more thigh support to hold it up. If you twist your foot and lean your knee out over the console, you'll feel that the seat isn't large enough to support your leg.

So, I did what anyone with a nicely sharpened Swiss Army Knife would do: I pulled the carpeting up, tried to cut it, and gave up and got some real scissors. I cut out the thick chunk of sound-deadening material that was behind the vertical surface of carpet to the right of the pedal. Just ripped it out.

Once I pushed the carpet back down and settled it into place, Voila! I can now have my foot solidly on the pedal, with a bit of extra space to the right side. If it makes a bit of extra interior noise, I'll turn up the radio.

As you can see, the noise-deadening material is pretty thick. It looks like Honda must've been collecting laundry lint from its employees to recycle into filler.

If anyone else is having this issue, this was a good solution for me.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Late reply but have seating prob with mine too..i get pins and needles on my butt which realy doesnt isnt funny..lol im 6' i think the seat are positioned too close..

Old 11-22-2009, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member
I finally pulled out the gas pedal (including the electrical connection the pedal rod goes into - some kind of rheostat I think, since the throttle signal to the engine is electric, not some cable or rod) and replaced the metal rod with another one bent so that the pedal is an inch or so higher and to the front of the car. It took some trial and error to get a position for the pedal to feel better but still be able to get full throttle. That's a brief description -- if anyone feels like trying it, I can describe the process in more detail by e-mail, or here. It really did help.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:31 AM
That's similar in effect to what I did:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...a-legroom.html

By putting using washers as shims, I angled the entire pedal assembly slightly. It has made a world of difference for me. Also, using a thicker floormat helps. It elevates my heel, so that my foot is resting further forward on the surface of the pedal.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
Has anyone who's had this problem with gas pedal's position driven the new Fit? I wonder if Honda fixed it. It's really kind of surprising to me that a company that seems to have it together in most areas managed to screw this detail up so badly. I've never had a car before that bothered me like this one did before I tweaked it. It's still not as comfortable as it should be, but pretty tolerable.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:15 PM
What's the latest from the OP?

Old 12-26-2009, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member
A lot of the problem is with the weak gas pedal. A number of us have added a return spring. I have not had a cramp since then.

Go herehttps://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...s-pedal-2.html

Old 12-26-2009, 02:18 PM
I finally concluded that the lack of resistance from the pedal is not the issue. I used various materials behind he pedal to increase resistance without much effect, but remounting the pedal so that it's closer to the firewall helped immensely.