Need opinions on possible upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Need opinions on possible upgrades.

I’ve had my Fit for about 3 weeks and I’m looking @ getting some upgrades and just wanted some opinions on them…

K&N Intake

I’ve been considering the Tanabe Medalion Concept G exhaust but will it work w/ an A/T Sport, Not looking to race it I just want more power from my daily driver.

Thanks in advance for the help
CaShawn

Old 02-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
I would rather not put in a wet K&N intake becasue it mucks up your MAF sensor. YOu'll run lean and have really high NOx readings. I had this problem with my 4Runner. I suggest getting a DRY intake system.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks Toy Yoda,

I think I'll go with the FUJITA AIR INTAKE SR-1924 instead... it's a dry filter, any thoughts on the Tanabe Exhaust...?

Old 02-23-2007, 12:50 PM
pretty much ALL exhaust will work with any Fit manual or auto as most of the exhaust available are only axle backs.

i have the spoon drop in filter and its way better than stock filter IMHO.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
upgrade your tires. best thing of all.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:54 PM
if you're getting the fujita make sure you get the SRI and not the CAI. CAI won't fit. i've already had issues with it and had to replace it with an Injen CAI (fits auto).

Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
LOL missed this one ....the FIT/JAZZ does NOT have a MAF sensor to mess up with oil. And K&N filter do not drip oil anyway.

We dont' have a MAF???

and actually yeah, K&N air filters can drip oil and cause lots of different drivability issues. I see it all the time at my shop

Old 05-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Nope the Jazz/Fit all have MAP sensors. And I have used K&N filters on at least 6 different cars since 1968 and NEVER saw any indications of oil or any other substance in the intake tract with or without a MAF using fuel injection or carburetors. The filters were all the different types panel, oval, and round mounted flat or on their sides same result no oiling problems ever if you read and follow the instructions on the recharge kit.
From my experience, as an automotive technician, I've seen that the oil form teh K&N air filter will actually contaminate/coat the hot-wire in a MAF and cause a lean run problem. This happened to my '00 4Runner. I failed AirCare becasue of it.Trust me, it happens. If you've never experienced it, consider yourself lucky.

And again, i was wrong about the Fit/Jazz having a MAF. My bad.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CaShawn
I’ve had my Fit for about 3 weeks and I’m looking @ getting some upgrades and just wanted some opinions on them…

K&N Intake

I’ve been considering the Tanabe Medalion Concept G exhaust but will it work w/ an A/T Sport, Not looking to race it I just want more power from my daily driver.

Thanks in advance for the help
CaShawn
Generally you should drive your Fit stock and work out the bugs. finish the breakin period and report the problems to your dealership under warranty.

Once you do some changes the warranty for those upgraded parts can be affected. Some upgrades are easy and fine to do even fairly early.

Intake-
Easy to do especially for the manual transmission Fit. For auto transmission not so many options.

Dead pedal foot rest-
Easy to do and helpful

Exhaust-
Easy to add either axle back or cat-back exhaust. Prices a little higher for cat-back. Exhaust noise varies, expect some gains but small. B-pipe and headers also possible but more expensive to add in addition to exhaust.

Suspension-
Lowering springs- can be done but watch out for aftermarket wheels and tires- clearance is reduced with lowering. Coilovers more expensive but some are ride height adjustable or offer adjustable shocks.

Wheels-
easy to add from 14" to 18" wheels. 14" is less expensive and light and will work. Better than stock steel rims that come with base Fit and good on a budget, good selection of tires that will work. 15" to 17" are more popular but increase weight somewhat and there are many tires that will work just be careful about wheel offset (use about +42 to +48mm). Don't let the outer tire diameter get too large or clearance in the wheel well will be too tight and you risk tire rubbing.

Tires-
You can also keep your Honda rims and just upgrade the tires to something wider or more performance oriented like Ultra High Performance Summer tires. If you are in snowy areas you'll need winter tires/wheels separately.
High Performance Summer tires will also work OK. And Ultra High performance All Season tires will work well and offer a good selection and longer treadwear. Email or call Jim@tirerack.com for more info.

Lots of other stuff to do-
Window tinting
Shift knob upgrade- with manual transmission
Center Armrest
Audio, subwoofer or DVD upgrade
Center console upgrade
Body panel or aerokit upgrade
tail light upgrade
Brake caliper painting

Old 05-13-2007, 02:36 PM
mine is a little different,first question is what is your goal with the car?are you after performace?are you after fuel economy?want to add a little power?are you gonna race it?or its only for show?second question is how much is your budget?if you have unlimited budget theres a lot options,this is not a question of what do you want for the car but how much money youre willing to spend for your car!!!,for example you want to change the wheels,are you willing to spend between $ 300-$400 per wheel on RAYS WHEEL,it depends also on size,finish,materials,color,and if you want forged wheels its gonna cost you more,so its up to you,set up your priority and see if you can afford it,just my $0.05 cents opinion.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
K&N filters DO NOT drip unless you apply too much oil, which alot of ppl do, that is probably why you see that from your clients.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:02 PM
I like the tanabe fit exhaust... they usually make pretty quiet exhausts and have decent power that come from them...