Supercharged Fit??? (COMPUTER FAN)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:26 PM
How many of you guys have actally read the web site that was posted? I'm not necessarily an advocate of this product, and I've never used one, but seems like there is quite a bit of prejudice against it, and most of the comments seem to be made without any regard for what the thing really does. This is probably due to all the false advertising that plagues ebay & the net...but I thought I'd check this out being curious.

I found that the site is straight forward in giving the details without buttering up the product beyond what it is intended to do. So unless someone has first-hand experience with this, why don't we simply discuss instead of blindly writing this off as junk? (I'm talking about the e-Ram, not Toy_Yoda's CPU set...LOL) Sure there are frauds out there, but not everything is, and I think this might have potential.

According to this site, the compressor is able to spin upwards of 25,000 RPM.

It is able to produce 3 lbs thrust at 800 cfm. Just how many of you really know what the Fit's engine flows? (observe the rush to google!) Just look up any good engine design calculator and you'll see that even factoring 100% volumetric efficiency, the Fit's engine should only flow about 160 cfm at 6k rpm. According to their claims, this electric fan seems to be able to support that.

Now some other considerations, some of which I find humorous. The thing draws 60 amps! (840W @ 14Vdc) It draws this from the battery, and only runs at WOT. It would really load the battery when in operation.

They claim that while it idles (non-op), it can flow an equivalent amount of air as a 3" open pipe.

All in all, I like the application of technology they're using here. It may not be perfect, and isn't a super or turbo charge, but nowhere do they advertise it to be any more than what it is. I guess I'm just standing up for the backyard inventor here, knowing that all of us share the interest of the hobby.

For $300 someone should at least try it and report back...most of you are dropping more than that on modest bolt ons that don't give much more than 5-10 hp here or there.

Last edited by sonorliteman; 01-15-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda
So did you end up trying this?
Nope..... Now that you've mentioned, maybe i shall try it. If you want, i might be able to find the manual and send it to you. Thats if i can find.

Originally Posted by sonorliteman
How many of you guys have actally read the web site that was posted? I'm not necessarily an advocate of this product, and I've never used one, but seems like there is quite a bit of prejudice against it, and most of the comments seem to be made without any regard for what the thing really does. This is probably due to all the false advertising that plauges ebay & the net...but I thought I'd check this out being curious.

I found that the site is straight forward in giving the details without buttering up the product beyond what it is intended to do. So unless someone has first-hand experience with this, why don't we simply discuss instead of blindly writing this off as junk? (I'm talking about the e-Ram, not Toy_Yoda's CPU set...LOL) Sure there are frauds out there, but not everything is, and I think this might have potential.
I totally agree with you here. But those tornado thingy are definitely scams, they don't give you gains but may suffer from loss due to restriction of air flow. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited by xephonx; 01-15-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xephonx
Nope..... Now that you've mentioned, maybe i shall try it. If you want, i might be able to find the manual and send it to you. Thats if i can find.
If you can find it, great!!

Old 01-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Now that i've found it. This little piece of document costs me USD80. Darn expensive for few pages. Ok gimme your email add.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
I am into electric R/C jets... 25,000 rpm ain't nothing. The wattage is pretty intense though. Throw those computer fans in the trash, yeesh...

What you want is a brushless 3-phase inrunner or outrunner electric motor, probably 3000-5000 Kv (rpm/volt no load) -- and probably at least 750 watts (~1hp). At 12 volts nominal from the car battery you're gonna need a heavy 80 amp electronic speed controller, and a way to use it sparingly. With 5000 Kv under load, around 47,000 rpms.

My idea was to stack 2 EDF units (1500 watts @ 125 amps!), however I couldn't find a carbon-fiber impeller design that suited my ideas, so I never pursued the idea. Most likely it wouldn't help much, but it was a just for fun idea to learn something. What you want is to just exceed the target CFM to maximize static pressure.

Realize that low-inertia turbos run 150,000 to 250,000 rpms -- our electric setup just ain't in the same ballpark. And the static force is a quadratic iirc, not pretty at all.

Another scary thing is that impellers do disintegrate occasionally. Is it worth the risk of sucking in a fan blade into the motor? A single controller is about $150 and a quality motor will run $100-$200, not cheap, plus some custom electronics probably.

Here's one of my slow toys:
YouTube - Multiplex Funjet JustGoFly 500T Graupner 7x4
My other jet is about 130mph, electric.

Some math: 1.5L motor @ 7000 rpm, 4 stroke
1.5L * (7000/2) * (61 in^3/L) / 60 -> 5340 in^3 / second
If you want 20% more air through the engine, at least 6407 in^3 / second.

For EDF you need to look at the FSA (fan-swept area) and multiply by the impeller pitch and multiply by a 0.75 correction factor, minimally...
If the FSA is 6 in^2 and the pitch is 2 inches, then 60*6407/(6*2*.75) -> 42713 rpms.

But 20% ain't going through the engine without some good static pressure... left as an exercise for the reader.

An interesting aside though is, did anyone catch the Civic with a backpack leaf blower duct taped to the intake? It actually helped on the dyno! And I'm pretty sure these electric R/C fans at least match a backpack leaf blower.

Last edited by xorbe; 01-17-2007 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:00 AM
I've always wondered about how these motors respond to load. Sure they can spin up high, but some I've seen don't make the torque to keep it up under increasing loads, without getting really hot! The load, in this case would be the MAP going positive when it kicks on.

I'd still prefer to stick with the traditional supercharger, but the point of my original post was to not just blow off this as a fraud, as quite a few folks were doing.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
Oh yah, electric turbo/super-charging is possible, but yeah what you see on eBay is not a real solution. The e-charger one I think it starting to actually help a little, but the impeller looks very inefficient, and doesn't spin fast enough -- probably some cheap brushed motor.

Did you see the video? That's a 1.5 pound plane accelerating straight up on 250 watts. Imagine what 750-1000 watts might be able to do. I doubt the e-charger could even lift itself off of the ground, much less with batteries strapped to it. Also, there's static thrust and then there's static thrust... they are probably quoting 3 pounds of free standing static thrust. If it is bolted onto an enclosure, it will develop significantly less pressure -- this is where the raw RPMs are needed, to literally pound the air into the confined space.

The trunk full of batteries, that was to match a real charger. Probably the folks around here just want to grab low-hanging 10hp fruit on the cheap, not a full $$$ +100 horsepower.

That Watt-Age fan that was linked to at HobbyPeople earlier in the thread, the 2300 Kv is likely too low.

DansData has a few words down this page: Dan's Data letters #105 Plus, check out the tank silencer at the bottom!

Last edited by xorbe; 01-17-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by xorbe
The e-charger one I think it starting to actually help a little, but the impeller looks very inefficient, and doesn't spin fast enough -- probably some cheap brushed motor.

Did you see the video? That's a 1.5 pound plane accelerating straight up on 250 watts. Imagine what 750-1000 watts might be able to do. I doubt the e-charger could even lift itself off of the ground, much less with batteries strapped to it.
The E-ram does use brush motors and they are very clear about the brushes wearing out and requiring replacement. They also have a vid of the guy hold the unit and flys up out of his hand...also they have quite a few dyno plots from various cars that seem to give a solid indication of what to expect. The honda civics only gained about 5 hp or so. They are guaranteeing 4-6% hp.

So you really pay for what you get...it is a cool neat concept, but since it only works for WOT, and for the same amount of cash the T1R intake seems to produce the same gain (works across power band), it isn't a terribly attractive option.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm, if the eRam is delivering 4-6% on ~833 watts (which is over stated since the battery won't maintain 13.8 volts under load), then a brushless setup that's 2-3x stronger might deliver in the 6-12% range.

As for the working only at WOT, I was considering a circuit that monitored a spark plug wire (like the aftermarket cruise controls) for having a map of motor RPM -> electric motor RPM control, plus a switch to just turn it off and let the blades free-wheel.

Someone just needs to freakin' try a custom brushless setup... hey stop looking at me!

Old 03-01-2007, 03:28 AM
Sorry to revive an old topic, but when I was younger and dumber I installed a custom Ram-Air kit onto my intake of my sentra and ended up blowing my Mass-air flow sensor. It was a costly mistake to say the least. I wouldn't mess with these non-reputable parts..

Old 03-09-2007, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MINI-Fit
Lmao thanks for the heads up... unfortunatly I was only 4 years old when that article was posted.

When was the last time you saw a supercharged Cougar or Thunderbird with a "2007" sticker on the windsheild?

This thread hurts my brain.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xorbe
I am into electric R/C jets... 25,000 rpm ain't nothing. The wattage is pretty intense though. Throw those computer fans in the trash, yeesh...

What you want is a brushless 3-phase inrunner or outrunner electric motor, probably 3000-5000 Kv (rpm/volt no load) -- and probably at least 750 watts (~1hp). At 12 volts nominal from the car battery you're gonna need a heavy 80 amp electronic speed controller, and a way to use it sparingly. With 5000 Kv under load, around 47,000 rpms.

What about these?

Motor Specification
Type: 2409H-7T
Shaft size: 3.175mm
Outline spec:
62 x 71
KV: 5300
Weight: 71g
Max drain current: 57A
Voltage: 11.1v ~ 14.8v(3s - 4s lipo)

Power: 840W

Old 01-18-2009, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
I too once was an avid jet R/C hobbyist. Yeah, you can get 1000W+ setups that move a lot of air at high speed, with even several pounds of thrust -- but that's just the thing, the air has to be a pretty massive CFM. It can't sustain the pressure while moving a lower volume of air for a vehicle engine (ie, static pressure). I suspect with a custom fan, say 7 or 9 blades and a design where you can't just see through the fan, it may actually push 3-4 pounds if you had 2 units back to back... but electricity is a problem at those power levels... you need mechical energy, and it totally sucks to convert mechanical into electrical, and electrical back into mechanical.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Any plastic fan wouldn't stand a chance IMO (maybe the RC fans would).

The closest thing I have seen to one that works is somebody who attached 3 starter motors to a real turbo somehow and got a 5 second boost when he dumped a giant stack of capacitors on a switch... it was setup on a dual gate so it didn't obstruct airflow when it wasn't running. The guys spent like 10,000$ building it and it barely works.

I don't know how you could accurately control the fuel delivery to get a proper A/F though without a full stand alone system designed to handle it.

A cheap Turbo kit is the way to go for the Fit

Old 01-20-2009, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
Yep, it's not totally uncommon for the carbon fiber RC fans to explode occasionally! Yah the one dude with 3 heavy duty electric motors had a trunk full of batteries -- so much for keepin' it light weight!!

Old 01-20-2009, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
I spent less then 50$...
This setup should give about 1 psi, so I think there is no need of fuel adjustment.
Anyway I haven't ever tried this fan... maybe it's a bullshit!
I'll let you know if it works or not!

Old 02-11-2009, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
This will not work. You are talking about fans, not compressors. Turbochargers are compressors, as in they compress air inside the turbine housing, therefore taking in ambient air and creating compressed air. Turbocharger rpm vs fan rpm is irrevalent at this point because just that. Turbos have different compressor housings which create different cfm at different rpms, which in conjunction with the exhaust housing is what makes different turbochargers, e.g. t3, t4, 60-1, etc.... A fan will not do anything, ever.... You run the risk of that fan shattering and plastic/metal pieces going into your intake and eating up valve/valve seats. Most of these cheap "performance products" are all a figment of imagination because people WANT them to work, and therefore THINK they see a difference. Power costs money, a fan in the intake will do nothing.

How about this.... Take your intake off, start your engine, and put your hand in front of your throttle body at idle alone. Your engine will try to suck your hand in. Or you could try to inflate a latex glove with your fan, if it makes 1 psi, it should do it no problem. Not trying to be a dick, just think about these things......

-kirko

Old 02-11-2009, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
That R/C fan he posted above is very scary. It will mangle fingers extremely badly, and moves tons of air with at least some static pressure. It should provide a couple extra HP, much like the Echo Backpack Blower + Duct Tape did on the Civic (there's a dyno video floating around...)

But yeah, plastic/cf parts in the engine isn't worth it, at least as a long term solution, without some sort of filter or netting. He can play with it for a day probably with no worries... also, those R/C jet ducted fans are LOUD!!!

At least he's got the right idea by choosing the 6-bladed fan.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:09 PM
:hyper :
Originally Posted by Fit of RAGE
Hey, the title is just trying to get ppl to read this. I know this may be teh STUPIDEST question ever, but here it goes.

More Air = more fuel = more power right??

that's the main principle of a supercharger and turbo right? shove more air into the combustion chamber and therefore, you need more fuel to ignite the mixture. More air + more fuel = bigger boom!!! Now, how do you shove air into an engine?? supercharge it or turbo charge it right?? NOW... here comes the stupid question. What if you invented a fan that could theoredically "shove" air into the combustion chamber?? wouldnt' that in theory mean that you need more fuel??? Here's a site that did just that. (I'm sure lots of ppl have seen or heard of this) e-RAM Electric Supercharger, from e-Racing Motorsorts In theory it would work, but does it actually?? has anyone used one or seen one?? personally, i've strapped on, in series, 5 computer CPU fans just to see how much air is being pushed through. the results wer surprising. it push QUITE a bit of air through. Like i said before, this is probably the stupidest question ever, but hey, in theory, it would work. RIGHT?????

here's some pic of the set up i've got. It's pretty crappy becasue i spent about 5 min. on it so yeah. I'm just REALLY bored so i figure i'd just make one and see how it performs. anyway, enough babbleing here it is:

PS: I hope you guys know that this is a joke

Old 03-24-2011, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 07TaffetaFit
or you could also redirect your a/c into your intake piping, to give it that cooler denser air...
you know, you say that as a joke... but.........
2005 Ford Lightning SVT Performance, F150 Super Truck - FordLightning.net
Ford's patented SuperCooler technology cleverly provides a special burst of power for the SVT Lightning concept. Traditional intercoolers dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted, air-cooled radiator. With the SuperCooler system, the vehicle's air conditioning system is used to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

Quick Reply: Supercharged Fit??? (COMPUTER FAN)