Guide to modding your car

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:06 PM
I do like the k20 Fit setup that is one reason why I bought the fit, but I have seen 1.5 fits that own on the track so its not the only mod that will work as mentioned before.

I bought the car for my wife as a daily driver, I plan on making it look good and clean untill the extended warranty that i paid extra for is up and when the wife wants a new car I do something crazy.

For now, if I want an insane amount of evo italian trash v8 porshe killing power, I drive my turbo teg.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:29 PM
has anybody mentioned how hard the k swap is, or the fact it takes 2 ecu's?

Old 07-16-2007, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Wink

Originally Posted by MichaelBrown
When i think of "Modding", i think of cars that should be modded. not cars that "ooo! i got this car, i wanna treat it like a ferrari even though its a 1994 Civic Sedan!"

I think cars that were meant to be modded, should be modded. Cars that are meant for economics, should stay economical.

While the Honda Fit is a very awesome and practical car. it is an economic car. It has a 30/40 MPG, 100HP, and overall just not enough to take to the track.

Now... if you want the fit to be a "Moddable car" (which i plan to do) this is the list:

First thing you absolutely must do, and cannot get around. Engine. Get rid of that 1.5 Economic engine. Modding an economic engine is like giving your grandma steroids and telling her to bench press. The K20A Engine is a beautiful one. For this car it is a must if you want to mod, otherwise all you are going to have is an econo-box with flashy rims.

Second thing is Suspension, Brakes, Tires. The stock set up is pretty nice, but with the new engine (100+ HP and +Weight) you will want to change a few things around. I hate kids who put 5,000 dollars into their horsepower and 0 into their braking/handeling power. If you have a monster, you must control it.

Third thing that really doesn't need to be done to this car is Weight Reduction. You have a 5 Door, you already know that it'll be alittle heavy. You have comfortable seats, you already knew when you bought the car that you would be carrying a number of people. So don't go striping out your car, leaving only one seat. the weight savings that you gain is not worth the impractical and uncomfortable modification. Light-weight battery, carbon fiber products, light-weight wheels/tires, and going on the tred-mil will help you in this section without making your friends saying "why did you do that!?"

That is my "Step-By-Step" guide on how one should mod a Fit, hell, for any car. Just know what your cars weaknesses and strengths before you start modding. Make your weaknesses your strengths, and your strengths even stronger.
Although we appreciate your opinion I definately have to disagree with you entirely. I have owned a Porsche 356, Honda S2000, Audi TT, Mazda Miata, 3 Civic Si's, 2 Honda CRX's and 2 WRX's and I can tell you the Fit is definately worth modding. Leaving my 230hp WRX for my Fit proved to be painless. The Fit really is that good. The Fit's brilliant chassis made better by a set of Tanabe springs makes up for it's low power. Personally, I think of this car as a modern day 356. If you recall, the 356's made 75-90hp and 0-60 was around 15 seconds. But it was brilliant. I am on my 3rd week of ownership so far and I truly love this little car. The Fit is definately worthy of mods and can be appreciated by both car guys and grocery getting moms alike.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Your whole problem could be solved by not getting a fit and just BUY A CIVIC with a K-20 in the first place.
stole the words right out of my fingers

Old 08-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by fazzster
Although we appreciate your opinion I definately have to disagree with you entirely. I have owned a Porsche 356, Honda S2000, Audi TT, Mazda Miata, 3 Civic Si's, 2 Honda CRX's and 2 WRX's and I can tell you the Fit is definately worth modding. Leaving my 230hp WRX for my Fit proved to be painless. The Fit really is that good. The Fit's brilliant chassis made better by a set of Tanabe springs makes up for it's low power. Personally, I think of this car as a modern day 356. If you recall, the 356's made 75-90hp and 0-60 was around 15 seconds. But it was brilliant. I am on my 3rd week of ownership so far and I truly love this little car. The Fit is definately worthy of mods and can be appreciated by both car guys and grocery getting moms alike.
I agree whole heartedly. I'd also say the first thing most people serious about modifying for circuit/track performance is wheels, tires and suspension, usually less wheels and more tires and suspension. There are plenty of things you can do to the Fit, only really limited by the rear torsion beam suspension. That's not to say you'd reach the limit fairly quickly, but compared to either double wishbone or independent rear suspensions, it's a bit more difficult to comparable handling when your rear wheels are locked together.

I tend to disagree often with those that think performance equates to under the hood. The old CRXs by today's standards didn't have a lot under the hood, but could certainly move, based on a number of factors. Same as the DC2. Even with the praise I've seen of the Mazdaspeed3 chassis (I personally wasn't as enamored with it; it's not the first time I've driven a high-output FWDer), it's pretty universally agreed that the handling still hasn't quite matched the DC2. Anybody can disagree, particularly if they're a fan boy or just going by what the American auto rags say (European drivers have a different view and hence aren't exactly in love with the MS3), but an extensive test drive of both will open up a lot of eyes.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I agree with most of the people on this post; a car (any car, be it Honda or Kia) is whatever you make it to be. If you want to spend time modding your econo-box car, all the power to you. Hell I would encourage it and tell anybody who says otherwise to shove it.

A car has and always will be an expression of personality, to sit there and tell somebody they should or should do something on their car (past a friendly suggestion) is practically an infringement on that persons right to be themselves. (Well except when it comes to serious safety issues). Sorry to get so philisophical on this, but this kind of elitest attidude gets under my skin.

And FYI, I am keeping my L15A in my "modded" car!

Old 08-13-2007, 02:31 AM
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
And FYI, I am keeping my L15A in my "modded" car!
Amen.

No offense to any k20-ed Fits out there, but that's all anyone really seems to want these days. Cram in an engine and you'll be fine.

I like the fact that AJ-Racing and Spoon have Fits that retain the L15A. Personally, I would think putting a k20 inside makes it too easy to drive the car fast. With a tuned L15A, it would be harder to drive competitively since you will generally have less power. You would have to rely upon technical driving and the already brilliant chassis/suspension setup to win races.

The L15A Fits would definitely sort out the good technical drivers from the bad ones.

Plus if something were to go wrong, the voided warranty would be a bitch. >.<

Old 08-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by thedeadpoet000
Amen.

No offense to any k20-ed Fits out there, but that's all anyone really seems to want these days. Cram in an engine and you'll be fine.

I like the fact that AJ-Racing and Spoon have Fits that retain the L15A. Personally, I would think putting a k20 inside makes it too easy to drive the car fast. With a tuned L15A, it would be harder to drive competitively since you will generally have less power. You would have to rely upon technical driving and the already brilliant chassis/suspension setup to win races.

The L15A Fits would definitely sort out the good technical drivers from the bad ones.

Actually, just the opposite. Think about all the added weight over the front axles of a K20 in a Fit vs. the stock L15A (understand). You'd want to find a good suspension tuner, since the increased mass is going to kill the stock suspension. Obviously, you can't just throw coilovers in and call it a day. Maybe you could. But an untuned suspension could potentially be extremely dangerous in a car like this.

This is what a lot of people don't understand. You can't just throw a K20 into a Fit expect to just go fast. If you throw off the balance of the car, you need to re-balance it. That means more money, anyway you wanna tackle it. There's no getting around that.

I agree, stick with the L15A.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by jbrisson
Think about all the added weight over the front axles of a K20 in a Fit vs. the stock L15A
That's true. Thanx for correcting me. The weight bias on our Fits is bad enough as it is now that I remember. I don't think the K20 would help that at all LOL.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Don't count out Jackson Racing too! They have a killer supercharger setup for the L15A. I love Rotex superchargers, one day I hope to have one of my own lol, one day when my warrenty expires!

Originally Posted by thedeadpoet000
Amen.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:03 AM
Talking Powerful 1.5L

IMO...the new Honda Fit has great tuning capabilities. They already have a slew of aftermarket performance parts and the car has only been selling since this year! The 1.5L SOHC VTEC engine is a workhorse and with a little tuning and bolt ons plus the added factor the car only weights 2400lbs soaking wet. You could easily shed off more from the stock rims, backseats, tires, carbon fiber products, etc. I could see the car getting down into 2300lb range or better.

Engine capibilities with stock internals is 200-250WHP

check out skunk2's Fit R....making 220WHP 185TQ

TELL ME AGAIN HOW LIGHT THE CAR IS?

Getting beat badly light to light by a SOHC.....priceless!!!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2007, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by tonyd3773
IMO...the new Honda Fit has great tuning capabilities. They already have a slew of aftermarket performance parts and the car has only been selling since this year! The 1.5L SOHC VTEC engine is a workhorse and with a little tuning and bolt ons plus the added factor the car only weights 2400lbs soaking wet. You could easily shed off more from the stock rims, backseats, tires, carbon fiber products, etc. I could see the car getting down into 2300lb range or better.

Engine capibilities with stock internals is 200-250WHP

check out skunk2's Fit R....making 220WHP 185TQ

TELL ME AGAIN HOW LIGHT THE CAR IS?

Getting beat badly light to light by a SOHC.....priceless!!!!!!!!
The Fit has been out for a few years. DBW and the minor stuff aside, the engine is the same as the JDM L15A, if I'm not mistaken.

A stripped Fit is in the stripped CRX weight class. The power-to-weight for a stripped 2100lb car with about 200whp is close to that of an 06 Z06 'Vette. But who buys a Fit to strip it out? Boost in this regard, is indeed king to offset the weight--even if it's not that heavy. This coming from a guy who prefers natural aspiration.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:50 AM
Hello jbrisson,

A hobbie of mine is to make slower cars faster. I do get that alot though in reference to "why would you want to do that to the Fit".

thx for your response. Da Fitz

Old 08-21-2007, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
There might come a day when better performance can be achieved with a built L15 than swapped K20. Remember back when you had a SOHC DY16 in your civic, and everyone told you that the only way to make power was to get a B series? I recall Super Street did an article on building a D series that cost $1500 less than a B series swap and made more power. Who knows?

Old 08-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Wink

im sure people didnt think much of the D16s and B16s, but now they are pretty much the Chevy 350 of the import scene, you can do ANYTHING to them and achieve more than decent power. the L15 just needs time is all, im sure in the future we will see people break the 250-300 hp mark (with alot of work done im sure), its possible. motorswaps are nice....if you can afford them, a friend of mine dropped a 1.8 Integra GS-R motor in his Del-Sol and the performance on that did a 180 degree turn for the better, it was much quicker but the extra weight made the care handle a little too "freight trainish" as my friend put it. if i had a boat load of money and not a care in the world then yeah i would get the motorswap in a second.....but i DO NOT have boat loads of cash and i NEED the reliability of my un-f*cked up car, motorswapping requires extra maintenance no matter what, if that motor wasnt meant for that car then obviously its gonna require more attention to maintain and keep reliable. im just gonna stick with my L15, i didnt get the Fit thinking it was gonna blow anythings doors off (even after modding). i got the Fit for its compact size, handling, and the fun drive it offers, all it needs is a little more power to pull through those turns and corners and it will be PERFECT.