Guide to modding your car

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:45 AM
Here's a vid of how the new spoon k20a engine performs YouTube - New Civic Spoon

Old 01-03-2007, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MichaelBrown
I don't appreciate the new Civic SI's. Civics were meant to be hatch-backs. i don't know what the U.S. Honda company is doing, but their pretty stupid about how they practice their business. The amount of money that their company has to spend to make a new chasis, crash test, aerodynamics is amazing. when a simple shipping fee from the factory in japan would be so much cheaper.

The reason why i want a K20 Fit is mainly due to the fact that i love how it looks, the economics of it all, and the fact that it is a 5-door. I am tired of sporty cars, I want a nice balanced car. Balanced in the car aspect and balanced in the life aspect. A K20 engine would be a modification to the fit that wouldn't be too expensive, and it wouldn't kill the car. the K20's get about 5-15 MPG less than the 1.5 and it would add 100 HP. I don't want some ungodly amount of horsepower from this car, nor do i want it to be a full out race car. i want a balanced 5 door hatch with a decent amount of power.

Um... my mom drives a Toyota Matrix...? I currently drive the new Mazda Miata (2006). 2 seats and no luggage space sucks.

you talk about you loving the economics of the car, but at the same time, you just said that it gets almost 15 mpg less than the l15a, and wouldn't be expensive?! uh, i dont know about you, but i have a lot of friends with shops that have k20's all day, especially N1 concepts, and the motor and transmissions themselves go for about $5500...not including the mount, computer, wiring harness, custom axles, etc. you're going to need to make this swap compatible with the fit

imo, there is no set way to "modify" a car, if there was, it wouldn't be called modifying, it'll just be a stage 2 honda or something

Old 01-06-2007, 02:50 AM
Getting my own in about 1 month, getting my K20 in 2. Test drove one, When i stepped on the gas the car didn't move. My friend owns one and i drive as the Designate Driver all the time. So i believe i have a valid perspective
It's a 1.5 SOHC, if you want to have a fun "Sporty Car" you gotta have a good Power/Weight ratio. Turbo to a engine like the fits isn't going to give you alot of power, all its gonna do is lower your MPG.

On ramps can be fun, you're right. But an on ramp isn't the same as Auto-X or a Track. The reason i said the suspension had to be redone is because of the weight addition you are going to get with the extra .5 liters from the K20A.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off. I am just stating my opinion that if you want your Fit to be a good Auto-X/Track/Daily Driver. The perfect way is to take a K20A and throw it in there. you don't even have a need for modifications after that (except for the usual Intake/Header/Exhaust just to make it breathing well and balanced).

The stock K20A would add over 100 Horsepower to our cars and still keep it RELIABLE. Turbo and Super Charging is a nice boost of HP. But unless it is done right, maintained, it can be a pain in the butt. and even then you will still lose to a K20A Fit. 100 Horsepower would be a pain to get out of the 1.5 and you'd sacrifice a lot of things like catalytic converters, MPG, reliability.

... omg i cant even begin to start on how wrong you are

ok first off, in autocrossing power doesnt mean jack shit, also swapping a k20 into the car will require alot of work to maintain or improve the balance and cornering capabilities of the car, much more then what you've mentioned

there are some simple and innexpensive modifications that can be done to the L15 to boost power and retain if not improve fuel economy, we were all aware when we bought the car that we're not going to be beating evos or ferraris with it, all we want is a bit more response and power and a k20 is overkill and in no way would make it a better daily driver

in addition adding a k20 would in most cases make you less competitive in autocrosses as you'd be bumped up to a totally different class competing with cars which were designed from the start to go much much faster, without extensive modifications you're going to be trailing at the end of the pack

if you add a k20 you're adding a much heavier engine into the engine bay and much farther forward as well compared to stock, the fit is already very front heavy and removing weight from the front is not a simple task, as you've mentioned severe modifications to the brakes and suspension of the car would be needed, in addiiton to this chassis rigidity would need to be increased as well, the fit already has quite a high center of gravity with a small track width which limits the cornering capabilities of the car, although nothing is impossible it would be unfeasible to modify this car up to a certain point, and the addition of a k20 is way past it

Old 01-06-2007, 03:01 AM
I don't appreciate the new Civic SI's. Civics were meant to be hatch-backs. i don't know what the U.S. Honda company is doing, but their pretty stupid about how they practice their business. The amount of money that their company has to spend to make a new chasis, crash test, aerodynamics is amazing. when a simple shipping fee from the factory in japan would be so much cheaper.

The reason why i want a K20 Fit is mainly due to the fact that i love how it looks, the economics of it all, and the fact that it is a 5-door. I am tired of sporty cars, I want a nice balanced car. Balanced in the car aspect and balanced in the life aspect. A K20 engine would be a modification to the fit that wouldn't be too expensive, and it wouldn't kill the car. the K20's get about 5-15 MPG less than the 1.5 and it would add 100 HP. I don't want some ungodly amount of horsepower from this car, nor do i want it to be a full out race car. i want a balanced 5 door hatch with a decent amount of power.

Um... my mom drives a Toyota Matrix...? I currently drive the new Mazda Miata (2006). 2 seats and no luggage space sucks.
where do you get off telling honda what there design was meant to be ??

do you really think honda got to where they are today by being bad at business ?? do you really think their cars are universally associated with reliability and dependability by doing bad market research, do you really think if they could make more money just by importing a car designed for the jdm or eudm that they wouldn't do it ??

they're designing cars for the entire north american market, not for you, just because you dont like the cars they make doesn't mean that they screwed up

you really think that just putting a k20 in the fit would be "okay" ?? well if you just enjoy putting around town and the occasional drag race fine, but why bother screwing with the factory waranty when you can just by a matrix xrs ?? or mazdaspeed 3, or regular mazda3

please keep your automotive wet dreams to yourself from now on

Old 01-06-2007, 10:52 PM
But this thread has gotten off topic, and i'm starting to sound like a dick.
you've sounded like one since the first post in this thread....not really off topic either, especially with your bold statement of having a guide to modding your car....I am pretty sure that AJ-racing's fit was only 1 sec behind the k20a fit in the time attack and aj-racing only has about 95ish whp,so obviously the weight and the change in distrabution of wieght affect the handling alot if a k20a fit can only beat a 95whp by 1 sec. Add a rotrex supercharger on the aj-racing fit and it will be smoking that k20a fit everyday of the week.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
FWD FTL

/thread

Old 01-08-2007, 02:02 PM
it doesnt matter if its fwd, because all other cars in the b-segment class are fwd and thats all you really need to compete againt

Old 01-09-2007, 11:07 PM
wow big words from a new guy on a website made for one car.
i used to have a toyota solara v6 stock around 200hp and with my mods around 220-230 never had a dyno....but the fit is way better and to me seems faster and handles so much better and i dont mean to be an a$$ but dont make statements on how to mod a car when you dont own the car or worked on it for more than 2hours

Old 01-10-2007, 02:35 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
already put my .02 in on this topic...Mr. Brown i would say that you have a jounery to go through with your Fit and whatever you want to do with it
THATS YOU...i am getting the impression that you just want to annoy people in this forum by saying the same useless reply in another thread. damn i am wasting my time

Last edited by Paulo107; 01-10-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
isn't half the fun buying something you know isn't all that fast/powerfull and making it that way? if no one were to ever challenge the way car companies made cars, why would we have this NHRA Xplōd Sport Compact Racing Series Home page ?

Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackgd3
Here's a vid of how the new spoon k20a engine performs YouTube - New Civic Spoon
that freaking motor revs to hell and sounds like a DEMON on roids...i would love to drive that car fo sure

Old 01-18-2007, 10:09 PM
im pulling pretty hard on 07 K20 Si's, but i do have nitrous...

Old 01-30-2007, 02:18 AM
Pulling your leg

Ole MB is having you guys on.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by allcladrad
Ole MB is having you guys on.
i think you are correct

Old 02-24-2007, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
When i think of "Modding", i think of cars that should be modded. not cars that "ooo! i got this car, i wanna treat it like a ferrari even though its a 1994 Civic Sedan!"

I think cars that were meant to be modded, should be modded. Cars that are meant for economics, should stay economical.

While the Honda Fit is a very awesome and practical car. it is an economic car. It has a 30/40 MPG, 100HP, and overall just not enough to take to the track.

Now... if you want the fit to be a "Moddable car" (which i plan to do) this is the list:

First thing you absolutely must do, and cannot get around. Engine. Get rid of that 1.5 Economic engine. Modding an economic engine is like giving your grandma steroids and telling her to bench press. The K20A Engine is a beautiful one. For this car it is a must if you want to mod, otherwise all you are going to have is an econo-box with flashy rims.

Second thing is Suspension, Brakes, Tires. The stock set up is pretty nice, but with the new engine (100+ HP and +Weight) you will want to change a few things around. I hate kids who put 5,000 dollars into their horsepower and 0 into their braking/handeling power. If you have a monster, you must control it.

Third thing that really doesn't need to be done to this car is Weight Reduction. You have a 5 Door, you already know that it'll be alittle heavy. You have comfortable seats, you already knew when you bought the car that you would be carrying a number of people. So don't go striping out your car, leaving only one seat. the weight savings that you gain is not worth the impractical and uncomfortable modification. Light-weight battery, carbon fiber products, light-weight wheels/tires, and going on the tred-mil will help you in this section without making your friends saying "why did you do that!?"

That is my "Step-By-Step" guide on how one should mod a Fit, hell, for any car. Just know what your cars weaknesses and strengths before you start modding. Make your weaknesses your strengths, and your strengths even stronger.
If you ask me the basis for a vehicle's worthiness for performance mods is the chassis. If a vehicle has at its core a strong and capable chassis that can be built upon, by all means do so.

With motors the sky is the limit with options for improving output, so that is rarely a limiting factor IMHO. Hell, my aircooled, V-twin, pushrod-motored streetbike will be making around 20 horse more than the wife's fit.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Of course it could be (and I just came from owning a Prelude) that the Fit is a nice cargo carrier, fun to drive, good on gas Honda.

And there is nothing wrong with doing small mods to the Fit externally or putting on a cold air intake and muffler.

Personally I would have loved to have kept my Prelude and gotten a Fit, but alas no.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Whats wrong with tuning a car so it's MORE efficient. All we hear about is power this and power that. I don't know if this has been posted yet, but if I'm buying a Fit (if I DO sell the Si) I would want to mod it for looks (not too crazy though) and extended MPG, handling is already great and besides, fuel savers may be the big sexy thing...oooo yeah! If we can get a minds out of the gutter and stop this friggin mentality of beating the a-hole next to you off the intersection stop line just to get to *gasp* the next stop light maybe the world would be a better place...Nah, **** that!

Old 03-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by honda2112
Whats wrong with tuning a car so it's MORE efficient. All we hear about is power this and power that. I don't know if this has been posted yet, but if I'm buying a Fit (if I DO sell the Si) I would want to mod it for looks (not too crazy though) and extended MPG, handling is already great and besides, fuel savers may be the big sexy thing...oooo yeah! If we can get a minds out of the gutter and stop this friggin mentality of beating the a-hole next to you off the intersection stop line just to get to *gasp* the next stop light maybe the world would be a better place...Nah, **** that!
Agreed.

Some people like to do mods for fun.

or in response to the OP:

"I cant believe you're saying
These things just cant be true
Our world could use this beauty
Just think what we might do"
heheh

Old 03-28-2007, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
You got that right, been trying to score pre sale tickets for the new tour, no luck yet...much like finding a Fit 5MT. Your also the first person to get my nick, must mean we're pretty old, let's hope not!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:34 PM
June 2007 2nd Place Fit of the Month Winner
okay guys lets spell it out for mike

H O N D A

hmm never knew that spelled mazda, maybe id better go back to elementary.

besides 1991 crx = 2007 fit, or vise-verse, some own the crx for its economy porposes where as well you get the idea. that and the fact that in 08 the fit might be redesigned you can add the rareity of the ed3 to that line.

in the end five years from now how many stock untouched 07 fits will you see. i predict a repeat from the pages of honda history.

besides if you dont like modding your car, go buy an american brand, because if you buy from over seas your out of luck, its to the point where you can buy the cai, clear tails, tower bar, etc before the car even sells on the market. so shoosh and find yourself a mazda forum to bug.

Quick Reply: Guide to modding your car