General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda to Begin Sales of the All-New Fit in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Honda to Begin Sales of the All-New Fit in Japan

I bought my Honda Fit 2008 Sport MT two days ago, and then saw the following in my news feeds today... hmm might have to trade-in when it reaches the US.

Honda Worldwide | October 18, 2007 "Honda to Begin Sales of the All-New Fit in Japan"

Pics

TOKYO, Japan, October 18, 2007–Honda Motor Co., Ltd. announced plans to begin sales in Japan of the all-new, completely redesigned Honda Fit on Friday, October 26, 2007. The Fit has gained popularity as a small car that features outstanding packaging, excellent fuel economy, and advanced styling.

The second-generation Fit was developed following the tradition of Honda’s man maximum, machine minimum<sup>*1</sup> concept with the goal of creating the ideal small car for a new age. To provide values which exceed customer expectations for a small car and to set a new benchmark in the highly competitive small car segment, packaging, utility and driving performance have been further advanced with the all-new Fit.

The packaging of the new Fit is based on Honda’s innovative center tank layout, with a longer wheelbase and wider track for enhanced interior space and practicality, combined with the small-car maneuverability of a 4.7-meter minimum turning radius. The front pillar has been moved forward to create a spacious interior, while the exterior boasts exhilarating styling. An ingenious interior layout helped create a comfortable cabin with space equivalent to a mid-sized sedan. The new Fit’s practicality has also been enhanced with four-mode “Ultra Seat” and three-mode “Ultra Luggage<sup>*2</sup>” storage spaces.

The new Fit’s dynamic performance is made possible by a newly developed 1.3-liter i-VTEC engine that delivers maximum output of 73kW (100PS). Combined with a continuously variable transmission (CVT) and newly developed torque converter, the engine provides enjoyable driving and class-leading<sup>*3</sup> 24 km/l fuel economy<sup>*4</sup>. The body rigidity and crash safety performance were also enhanced while maintaining weight equivalent to the previous model. Moreover, the newly designed chassis also helps achieve superior comfort and steady handling.

Newly added to the Fit lineup is a Road Sailing (RS) version which highlights a sportier and sophisticated character with a newly developed 1.5-liter i-VTEC engine and a specially designed suspension with enhanced styling and a richer feel.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Retired Moderator
Yeah i hear ya, i may be looking to trade my 07 for one of these new ones sometime! I love what Mugen has done with it!

Old 11-02-2007, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
4wd?

Reading the specs on the new FIT in Japan. Under the "Environmental Performance", 4th line, "G- and L_ types with 4WD". Is that a lost in translation thing or is there going to be a 4WD?

Old 11-02-2007, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phasfit
Reading the specs on the new FIT in Japan. Under the "Environmental Performance", 4th line, "G- and L_ types with 4WD". Is that a lost in translation thing or is there going to be a 4WD?
4WD (actually Real-Time AWD) has always been available in the JDM Fit, and the new Fit is carrying on with it.

In fact, in Japan, you can get a 4WD in just about any car you want.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
AWD Fit

jacksan1, thanks for the reply. I lived in Japan for 3 years but that was a long time ago. '74-'77. At that time there were no AWD etc. to speak of and I was just wondering if the info is strictly JDM or will the U.S. models have AWD? Thanks again, phasfit

Old 11-03-2007, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phasfit
jacksan1, thanks for the reply. I lived in Japan for 3 years but that was a long time ago. '74-'77. At that time there were no AWD etc. to speak of and I was just wondering if the info is strictly JDM or will the U.S. models have AWD? Thanks again, phasfit
You're welcome. There are currently no plans for the USDM Fit to become available with AWD. It would be nice if they did, though.

In those years you were in Japan, only Subaru had 4WD in so-called regular cars. It is rather amazing to see the list of JDM passenger cars today, since you really can count the models that are not available at all with 4WD/AWD with a single hand. Everything else in Japan, regardless of the size and displacement, body type or intended use, is available with 4WD/AWD. That makes sense if you remember that 70% of Japan is classified by cartographers as "mountainous," and it snows a lot in many parts.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Matrix

Too bad that Honda does not see "Fit" to offer an AWD version. I have seen the new '09 Toyota Matrix and the specs include an optional AWD version. And the car is sharp looking!

Old 11-07-2007, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Pictures of the new (2008 in Japan, 2009 in the US) Fit at the dealership.

Chassis code (GE)

Old 11-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by jacksan1
4WD (actually Real-Time AWD) has always been available in the JDM Fit, and the new Fit is carrying on with it.

In fact, in Japan, you can get a 4WD in just about any car you want.
Exactly. Sucks that we can't get that option here in the U.S.

But then again, I think like Toyota, Honda always equips the AWD Cars with a Lower Displacement Engine, like a 1.3L instead of the "Punchy" 1.5L we get.

But I dunno.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3los
Exactly. Sucks that we can't get that option here in the U.S.

But then again, I think like Toyota, Honda always equips the AWD Cars with a Lower Displacement Engine, like a 1.3L instead of the "Punchy" 1.5L we get.

But I dunno.
I drove a Fit AWD in Japan (a rental). It came with 1.5. The latest JDM iteration has AWD available in both 1.3 and 1.5.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:39 PM
the old fit looks way better

Old 12-02-2007, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
I agree with the ugliness

Old 12-10-2007, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
I have to say that I just bought my Fit a few days ago because I do not like the way the new verson looks. But I'm sure it's a great car.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:26 PM
new fit looks like Yaris
end of Fit era for me

Old 12-10-2007, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Combo
new fit looks like Yaris
end of Fit era for me

I'll be curious if everyone has this attitude when they see one lowered on Volks.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by 98TypeR
I'll be curious if everyone has this attitude when they see one lowered on Volks.

Something like this?

Last edited by robwahoo; 12-11-2007 at 09:45 AM. Reason: fixed formatting
Old 12-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Still ugly, and it looks like there is even less room for a K in those engine bays

Old 12-26-2007, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
The styling doesnt seem as agressive as the first gens. But im pretty sure it'll respond better to mods due to the I-VTEC and all that good stuff

Old 12-26-2007, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
One thing I don't like about the evolution of cars is the fact that they always make them bigger. They need to leave the size alone and ignore the typical review stating that they are too small.... small is good , and fun

Old 12-26-2007, 12:46 PM
24 km/l .... that's 56 miles per gallon...

Quick Reply: Honda to Begin Sales of the All-New Fit in Japan