Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Wheel/tire combo for best performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
Wheel/tire combo for best performance

I'm thinking of getting some new wheels/tires, and I'm trying to think of the best tire/wheel combo for best performance regarding acceleration/cornering, etc.

I know that lighter wheels are better for acceleration, and wider wheels are better for cornering, but what would be the "best" mix?

I'm thinking a 195/55/15 tire (e.g. General Exclaim UHP [17 lbs]) and Enkei RPF-1 (9.5 lbs), so a total of 26.5 lbs, which is quite a lot lighter than the stock weight of around 35 lbs (tire 18 lbs, wheel 17 lbs - i think??).

You guys have any suggestions or ideas?

Last edited by supafly50; 09-16-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by supafly50
I'm thinking of getting some new wheels/tires, and I'm trying to think of the best tire/wheel combo for best performance regarding acceleration/cornering, etc.

I know that lighter wheels are better for acceleration, and wider wheels are better for cornering, but what would be the "best" mix?

I'm thinking a 195/55/15 tire (e.g. General Exclaim UHP [17 lbs]) and Enkei RPF-1 (9.5 lbs), so a total of 26.5 lbs, which is quite a lot lighter than the stock weight of around 35 lbs (tire 18 lbs, wheel 17 lbs - i think??).

You guys have any suggestions or ideas?
You should stick with the choice that you are thinking about doing...... I am using the same RPF1 Enkeis with Conti Pro Contact tires in 195-55-15
and the same weight of the choice you are speaking of......You will be astounded with what all it will do for your car.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:22 AM
5 Year Member
hey, thanks for the reply.. do you have any pics of ur wheels/car? is the difference in performance that noticeable? thanks man!

Old 09-16-2009, 05:58 AM
5 Year Member
I'm sorry, I can't provide pictures.......There are many advantages to this combination so here is what I've noticed..... Lighter steering, better ride quality, acceleration, braking, handling and decelleration from engine braking..... There is no wheel hop except in full lock turning at full throttle( which can not be eliminated on any FWD car). The 7" width and offset seems to have cut down rear sway to the extent that it isn't at all troubling to me..... There is less stress on the steering, braking, suspension and drive train components which will prolong the life of these components..... I was thing of using the General Exclaim tires but because of having to drive on loose sandy surfaces and the amount of rain in the winter I chose the Contis..... I get better traction than I had with the stock tires, they are rated to use more air pressure and bear more weight.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member
sounds good!! thanks for the detailed reply btw i'm not too sure about which tire i'll go for at the moment... though would the RPF1's fit on the stock 185/55/15's? just wondering because i've got quite a lot of tread left on my tires, so getting the wheels first would make more sense to me.. especially since i don't need to swap my tires during winter (i live in thailand )

Old 09-16-2009, 06:15 AM
5 Year Member
Great choice in rims:
  • One of THE lights
  • Looks good
  • 15" (+41) offset is just enough to avoid rubbing
  • Very reasonable price
I got Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (195/55/15). They're cheap ($83 each @ Tire Rack) and have a huge lip to help avoid accidental curb rash. The downside is they'll wear pretty fast. I only use 'em for auto-x though. Awesome performance. Got 16" RPF1s for daily drive.

15s on Dunlops:

Old 09-16-2009, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member
They are 7.283" in tread width and in my opinion would fit but Tire Rack said they couldn't or wouldn't mount that size for me and they would not mount 195-50s either.... They might not be safe on the RPF1 wheel.....Other guys on the forum have had 195-50s mounted on this wheel but I haven't any knowledge of anyone mounting anything smaller on 7" rims.... I have my stock wheels and tires and 2 of them have lots of tread on them.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
I also recommend the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs. Got them on my stock wheels and they are very sticky. C&D rated them the best out of the budget performance tires even saying they are good or even better than the Michelin PS2s. In my experience, I think they are almost as good as the discontinued Bridgestone RE-01Rs. For the price you can't beat them.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
@ raton - thanks for the info, wheels look sweet in ur pics!

@ texas - i had a feeling they might not fit on the stock tires, or at least not recommended to... i guess i'll just wait to get both the wheels and the tires... thanks man!

@ 07fit00s2k - thanks for ur recommendation.. i take it they're good for track but not so much for daily driving?

Old 09-17-2009, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
@ raton - thanks for the info, wheels look sweet in ur pics!

@ texas - i had a feeling they might not fit on the stock tires, or at least not recommended to... i guess i'll just wait to get both the wheels and the tires... thanks man!

@ 07fit00s2k - thanks for ur recommendation.. i take it they're good for track but not so much for daily driving?
Like I said you were already doing the right thing choosing what you had based on weight, rim width and offset.....Since you will be waiting to make purchase you might consider 195-50 tires if your car hasn't got the 1500cc engine and you need lower gearing for better acceleration..... You would need to drive a little more carefully to avoid damage to the wheels on bad roads..... If you go that route you could possibly shave a few more ounces of unsprung weight and rotational mass and there is not a better place to remove weight than from the wheels.... I think it is so cool to communicate with a person so far away about a mutual interest.... Don't be a stranger and keep us posted on what"s going on.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Like I said you were already doing the right thing choosing what you had based on weight, rim width and offset.....Since you will be waiting to make purchase you might consider 195-50 tires if your car hasn't got the 1500cc engine and you need lower gearing for better acceleration..... You would need to drive a little more carefully to avoid damage to the wheels on bad roads..... If you go that route you could possibly shave a few more ounces of unsprung weight and rotational mass and there is not a better place to remove weight than from the wheels....
so you're saying if i decide to get the 195/50 tires then i would need to change to a lower gearing if i don't have the 1500cc engine? i've got a 2007 1.5 auto lol so would i need to make those changes u mentioned? one of the main problems i have here are the roads in some places are TERRIBLE.. potholes are everywhere and most roads apart from the main highways are full of em. i try to drive carefully, but still have to drive on bad roads everyday..

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I think it is so cool to communicate with a person so far away about a mutual interest.... Don't be a stranger and keep us posted on what"s going on.
i agree with u man.. the amount of knowledge i've gained from this site is incredible! and it's all thanks to people like you on the other side of the world sharing what they know already, lol... thanks again!

Old 09-17-2009, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member
just playing around with photoshop, what u think of the black rpf1's with my black jazz? they're supposed to be 15 inch

Old 09-17-2009, 05:44 AM
5 Year Member
just playing around with photoshop, what u think of the black rpf1's with my black jazz? they're supposed to be 15 inch

Hey, those are pretty nice on a black GD.

Good to know you can source your wheels with no problems. RPF1s - or any aftermarket Enkei wheel for that matter - are kind of hard to come by where I'm from (the Philippines).

Old 09-17-2009, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
so you're saying if i decide to get the 195/50 tires then i would need to change to a lower gearing if i don't have the 1500cc engine? i've got a 2007 1.5 auto lol so would i need to make those changes u mentioned? one of the main problems i have here are the roads in some places are TERRIBLE.. potholes are everywhere and most roads apart from the main highways are full of em. i try to drive carefully, but still have to drive on bad roads everyday..
No , 195-50s are smaller in diameter and have the same effect as changing the gearing for better acceleration.... I thought that you might have had one of the smaller engines and might consider that size tire to improve acceleration.... The side walls are 101.75mm on your stock tires, 97.5mm on 195-50s and 107.25mm on 195-55s so there would be a slight gain in performance with the 195-50s over the stock size and a loss with the taller 195-55s but you are less likely to damage your rims with the larger tire and are already gaining an increase in performance from the weight reduction....Too much information maybe.... A little more..... Your speedometer will register a little slower speed than it does now because of the increase in circumference..... Anyway 195-55-15 is the stock size here and it's about as large a tire I think is necessary for a car this size and weight..... Take care.

i agree with u man.. the amount of knowledge i've gained from this site is incredible! and it's all thanks to people like you on the other side of the world sharing what they know already, lol... thanks again!
I have black wheels on my silver car and think it looks even better on a black car.