Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Wheel Balance Weights...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Wheel Balance Weights...?

I am used to seeing standard lead wheel weights attached to the inner / outer diameter of the wheel for standard balancing. I have had cars with alloy rims and steel rims and this is the technology generally employed.

I have a Sport Fit with the 16" wheels. I see some pretty good size weights "glued?" to the inside diameter of the wheel only with no wheel weights on the outer diameters of the wheels.

This is also the first car that I've owned with the TPMS on it and even though the mechanisms look pretty small I imagine that at several hundred RPM it would be significant and would also require quite a bit of counterweight.

So my questions are this:
- Does the tire store have to employ special weights on these rims for tire balancing?
- Do the glued weight on the inside diameter of the rim only correct for the TPMS?
- Is there anything special I should watch for in the tire store to keep them from doing something stupid?

Dave

Old 06-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Sticky weights are used on alloy wheels designed without a edge on the rim that can accept hammer-on weights. They have been used to years, it is not because of the TPMS, although, I bet you are right about needing more weight because of it.

The weight use double sided tape. Make sure the person at the balancer cleans the inside of the rim real good with wheel cleaner and a rag before sticking on the weights, if they dont, they are basically just sticking it to brake dust and it will fly off in the not-to-distant future.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:00 PM
big o tires here in town has only used the weights with the double sided sticky on all my cars...i have a feeling these are cheaper to produce and will become more widely used as the years go on

Old 06-20-2009, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dave2009
I am used to seeing standard lead wheel weights attached to the inner / outer diameter of the wheel for standard balancing. I have had cars with alloy rims and steel rims and this is the technology generally employed.

I have a Sport Fit with the 16" wheels. I see some pretty good size weights "glued?" to the inside diameter of the wheel only with no wheel weights on the outer diameters of the wheels.

This is also the first car that I've owned with the TPMS on it and even though the mechanisms look pretty small I imagine that at several hundred RPM it would be significant and would also require quite a bit of counterweight.

So my questions are this:
- Does the tire store have to employ special weights on these rims for tire balancing?
- Do the glued weight on the inside diameter of the rim only correct for the TPMS?
- Is there anything special I should watch for in the tire store to keep them from doing something stupid?

Dave

The wheel weights we use are single side adhesive and come in marked segments by weight.
They are very good for alloy wheels because they don't show as the clip-on edge weights. Therefore better looking.
However, adhesive weights should be always attached to the inside of the rim so that centrifugal force flattens them on the rim and not on an edge where centrifugal force will work on them flying off. Also be sure they don't interfere with calipers.
And adhesive weights are cheaper than the flange weights as well as easier and more precisely attached.
The only special condition is that the rim should be well cleaned by adhesive weight supplier recommended cleaner before attaching the weight. And strip 'em off before you balance again or you have have balanceweight greater than the wheel weight. LOL

Last edited by mahout; 06-20-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
clip-on weights are so ugly. other than OE, not sure who uses them these days on passenger cars.

self-adhesive weights have been around for a long time. when i receive my new wheel packages i makes sure to push-down on the weights before mounting the wheelset onto my car. just a good habit to ensure that they aren't loose.

mahout- talking about wheel weights clearing calipers, i saw that GM was using wheel weights on the new camaro's brakes to prevent squeal. LOL! http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1240437711