Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

For all those fits with light rims, I have a question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
For all those fits with light rims, I have a question

Ok so instead of trying to get engine upgrades like header intake exhaust, I think the bang for the buck would be to get lighter rims and tires.

So what do you have how light are they and how much better is your gas mileage.

Oh and pics would be good if you dont mind.

Thanks

Joe

Old 06-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
so you want performance or you want fuel economy?

Old 06-11-2009, 04:31 PM
how much would you go for rims? mine cost me just over 1200 dollars that's with rims, tires, lug nuts and installations. if i were you i would go with either 15-16" the reason why is that i have a 17"s with 205/4 and the road noise was horrible and i was getting not better mpg's. if you have around 3000 dollars get something like volks racing rims or konig's they are pricey rims but they are light weight and perhaps with falcon tires. i have Wanli s1088 intalled too much road noise from my experience.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:39 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitamusprime
how much would you go for rims? mine cost me just over 1200 dollars that's with rims, tires, lug nuts and installations. if i were you i would go with either 15-16" the reason why is that i have a 17"s with 205/4 and the road noise was horrible and i was getting not better mpg's. if you have around 3000 dollars get something like volks racing rims or konig's they are pricey rims but they are light weight and perhaps with falcon tires. i have Wanli s1088 intalled too much road noise from my experience.
konigs are cheap there fake wheels get some rpf1s there cheep as far as legit racing wheels go and they only weigh around 9lbs per wheel for the 15s as opposed to around 16 from stock if your broke 15 inch slipstreems weigh 11 lbs

Old 06-11-2009, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JoeF
Ok so instead of trying to get engine upgrades like header intake exhaust, I think the bang for the buck would be to get lighter rims and tires.

So what do you have how light are they and how much better is your gas mileage.

Oh and pics would be good if you dont mind.

Thanks

Joe
Bang per buck?

Depends on what you are trying to do.

Typically those mods that will help with performance (better speed or handling) will not be the best for better economy. Sometimes there can be a little overlap since anything that reduces weight is generally good. The exception is ultra light rims which are great until you hit a pothole and damage one or even damage your suspension. Light wheels are generally also more expensive to a point.

You don't have to be overly concerned with the absolute weight of the tires if the tire design, materials and size gives you some advantage. For example you would pick a really good handling tire over one that about 3 pounds lighter but with harder rubber or even if it costs less.

Good tires- softer rubber, good tread design for handling, good size to give you more footprint on the road are all desireable but some do cost more or maybe weigh a little more or wear a little faster.

In a Fit you want the best handling tires (very good bang per buck) because tires are part of the suspension and allow you to make the most of limited power. Tire upgrade alone is a good thing. The stock rims aren't bad if you are on a budget.

Light rims can be done in 14" or 15" to keep the cost and weight down. Or you can move to 16" but once you get bigger then weight tends to be a factor or the cost of the wheel can be more. Also as you get to a larger rim you get tires that favor stiffer shorter sidewalls which help handling but might ride stiffer and rougher- not as comfortable for daily use.

With a 15" wheel you can choose tires with a bit more sidewall about 55 or 50 series and it's a doable compromise. If you have really smooth roads then you can do any tire size that fits.

Don't be overly concerned about light wheels- as long as they are reasonable you will not have to overpay. Heavy wheels will be sluggish although if you do only street driving it will be sort of OK until you want to floor it. Once you get up to speed you will be fine no matter which wheels you have.

Economy is affected a little (by wheel weight) but not a big deal vs the tires you choose. A more narrow tire with a taller sidewall (tends to weigh less) will do better for fuel economy but be less good for handling and traction. It will likely be more comfortable for daily street use.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
I eventually want to auto cross my AT I havent seen any dynoed proof that the intakes CAI or the exhaust work on the car from our Fit members. I am dying to see SF dyno when he finally gets it done but he spent a lot of money for me.lol So I was hoping to get lighter rims which will make me faster on exceleration, stoping and turning for autocross. Then when I am being an old man driving for mpg it would help with rotating mass right?

Joe

Old 06-11-2009, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
believe it or not my rims weigh 6.5 pounds each

Old 06-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Banned
top 5 performance/economy mods

1. tires
2. tires
3. tires
4. tires
5. rims

Old 06-11-2009, 07:32 PM
i love college
Originally Posted by im the fit
explain!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by im the fit
Originally Posted by keepitpg
explain!

yes plase.

From your pictures you either have, Desmond RegaMaster Evo, Spoon SW388 or Rota Slipstreams. The lightest of those are the spoons at 8.5 lbs, so unless you meant 6.5 kg you are going to have many disbelievers.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by Fitamusprime
: rotfl::r otfl::ro tfl::rot fl::rotf l:

Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410
yes plase.

From your pictures you either have, Desmond RegaMaster Evo, Spoon SW388 or Rota Slipstreams. The lightest of those are the spoons at 8.5 lbs, so unless you meant 6.5 kg you are going to have many disbelievers.
im sorry its 7.5 each,when the ups guy was carrying the rims they were strapped in sets of two, when he came up to me he said "there arent rims in here right?" and i said there better be and they were.the total shipping weight was 30 pounds including the boxes. The rims I have are rotas 195/15 charcoal black.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:10 PM
i love college
what kind of rotas?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
slipstream

Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by mike410
yes plase.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Spoons and Regas the EXACT same wheel?.... Just rebadged.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kyle is raaddd
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Spoons and Regas the EXACT same wheel?.... Just rebadged.
No you are correct. The thread I found on H-T has the spoons as weighing less which I found weird. Either way 7.5lb rotas is crazy

Old 06-12-2009, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
besides investing in a forged wheel you're going to find the differences to be minute. (being the weight only accumulates to so much)

a side note: i'd rather ride on konig's than a set of rota's.
most everyone has a set of slips and the konig's seem to earn a better rapport with tire shops.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:39 AM
Hi, guys sorry if i derail the thread. I'm looking at the Tenzo DC6 which according to wheelweights.net it weighs at 16.3 lbs. Have anybody had any experience with this wheel? I'm planning to get this set at discounttiredirect 16x7 42mm offset.
Thanx

Old 06-12-2009, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
My friend has the DC6 ver. 2 on his tC. They are 18x8 so Im not sure how much they weigh or if he cared about that. They do weigh less then his stock wheels and I know he loves them.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:19 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by MPFit07
Hi, guys sorry if i derail the thread. I'm looking at the Tenzo DC6 which according to wheelweights.net it weighs at 16.3 lbs. Have anybody had any experience with this wheel? I'm planning to get this set at discounttiredirect 16x7 42mm offset.
Thanx
Sorry to RErail the thread, but,.. GTFO

Quick Reply: For all those fits with light rims, I have a question