Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

+32 offset question and 205/50/16 tire question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
+32 offset question and 205/50/16 tire question

This is a two part posting with two questions.

First question is if I was to buy a set of wheels that is 15x6 +32 offset and running 205/50/15 with Sprint springs. Would I expect any trouble?

Second question is can I run 205/50/16 tires on 16x7 +40 offset wheels? Trouble?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
I'd need to see your current setup before I can say anything. I'm not too familiar with GDs (assuming it's a GD). I want to say you'll be OK, because it's a 6" width, so the lower offset makes up for the difference in width.

For example, you wheel would sit the same outward, toward the fender, as ;

x7 + 45
x8 + 57

An inch in width is 25.4mm. This is spread over both sides of the wheel, so approx 13mm difference on both sides.

It's been a long day. I hope my math is right. lol

Old 05-27-2009, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by danger69

First question is if I was to buy a set of wheels that is 15x6 +32 offset and running 205/50/15 tires with Sprint springs. Would I expect any trouble?

Second question is can I run 205/50/16 tires on 16x7 +40 offset wheels? Trouble?

Maybe. The 205/50x15 tire is 10 mm wider and shoved 21 mm outward so the outer tread edge is 10/2 + (53-32) or 26 mm out. However, it is shorter at 23.1" diameter so you may get it to clear.
26 mm is 1.1.03" out. Measure from your exisr=ting 185/55x16 tire to the inside edge of your fender flange about 1/2" below the tread edge.. If you have more than an inch you may make it.

205/50x16 tires are the same diameter as the stock 185/55x16 tires so pushing the tire out (53-40) + 5 mm is 18 mm, or 3/4". Measure again but this time from the outer edge of the stock 185/55x16 tire on 53 mm offset wheels..

Old 05-27-2009, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by danielg
I'd need to see your current setup before I can say anything. I'm not too familiar with GDs (assuming it's a GD). I want to say you'll be OK, because it's a 6" width, so the lower offset makes up for the difference in width.

For example, you wheel would sit the same outward, toward the fender, as ;

x7 + 45
x8 + 57

An inch in width is 25.4mm. This is spread over both sides of the wheel, so approx 13mm difference on both sides.

It's been a long day. I hope my math is right. lol

Rim width never makes up for offset. Or vice versa. Interference is decided by the position of the tire centerline as described by offset but then the tire dimensions are off the tire centerline location.. Wheel rim makes little difference.

Last edited by mahout; 05-27-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
let me rephrase. In the case of his wheel specs above, because the wheel is narrow (6") it would sit like a 7" with different offset - in relation to wheel's distance to the fender.

offset and width is always related. Lower offset on a narrow wheel will sit like a wider wheel with a higher offset.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Off set starts from the center of the rim so regard less of wheel width it's still going to be +32 from center. But, a wheel with less width will pull on the sidewall giving you maybe 1-2 mms at tops.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
You are correct in saying that +32mm is always +32mm from center BUT a +32 will sit differently on a 6" wide wheel than it will on an 7", an 8", a 9".

The point I'm making is that even though his offset sounds fairly low, because it's a narrow wheel, he should be ok.

I do wheel fitment everyday @ work.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the help guys. Now what would be a safe tire profile?

Old 05-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by danger69

First question is if I was to buy a set of wheels that is 15x6 +32 offset and running 205/50/15 with Sprint springs. Would I expect any trouble?

Yes, to the first question, you would need 185/55 at the least and bend the fender to bumper tabs upward in back.

Yes, to the second question, 205/45/ will be very close again watch that tab.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
My sugggestion would be to get a tire with a round side wall - not a square one. Not only will it help with a fitment that could potentially rub, but it also looks better IMO.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
let me rephrase. In the case of his wheel specs above, because the wheel is narrow (6") it would sit like a 7" with different offset - in relation to wheel's distance to the fender.

offset and width is always related. Lower offset on a narrow wheel will sit like a wider wheel with a higher offset.

Its tires that rub, not the wheel, on fenders. And tire dimensions are split across the centerline of the tire which is placed by offset, the distance of the tire centerline to the hub face. Nowhere is the rim width a determination of tire placement or location. Its major use is being a rim width that offers the best advantage to the tire's performance.
As long as the tire remains a constant size the only way to change the position of that tire is by offset, not rim width.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
You are correct in saying that +32mm is always +32mm from center BUT a +32 will sit differently on a 6" wide wheel than it will on an 7", an 8", a 9".

The point I'm making is that even though his offset sounds fairly low, because it's a narrow wheel, he should be ok.

The horizontal position of the tire in the wheel well is established by offset, not rim width. The tire centerline is set by the offset and tire width dimensios split across the tire centerline so the rim width doesn't matter as long as the rim width is acceptable to rim limits by the manufacturer. Its the tire that rubs not the wheel.
If you rub the outside fender the only things you can change are smaller diameter tires or greater offset wheels.

Last edited by mahout; 05-30-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Its tires that rub, not the wheel, on fenders. And tire dimensions are split across the centerline of the tire which is placed by offset, the distance of the tire centerline to the hub face. Nowhere is the rim width a determination of tire placement or location. Its major use is being a rim width that offers the best advantage to the tire's performance.
As long as the tire remains a constant size the only way to change the position of that tire is by offset, not rim width.
obviously it's the tires that rub, but it's the wheels relation to the fender that give you an idea of what size tire and/or what else is needed to make them fit. Wheel inside the fender well? then you have clearance, is the wheel flush with the fender or poking outside? then you need to stretch/camber/pull. easy as that. There's no need to make it more difficult.

How can you say no where is rim width a determination of the tire placement?!!?!? a 6" wide wheel vs a 8" wide wheel? There IS a difference of the where the the tire will be. that's 50mm difference in width! how can a tire stay in the exact same place?

Old 05-30-2009, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
If you rub the outside fender the only things you can change are smaller diameter tires or greater offset wheels.
Incorrect again sir.

You can roll the fenders. You can add camber. You can change your wheels. If you're hitting the inner fneders, you can add spacers. You can raise your suspension. Hell you can widebody. There are too many variables to say "only"

Just because you think there are ONLY a couple ways to do something, doesn't mean that there aren't more options.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member

The point is the rim width will have little or no effect on the dimensions of the tire. Putting a wide tire, aka 205 mm, will rub on a 32 mm offset wheel even if the rim width is 5". Or 4" if you could mount it. Rim width will not change the tread width of the tire. Or its location.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
How can you say no where is rim width a determination of the tire placement?!!?!? a 6" wide wheel vs a 8" wide wheel? There IS a difference of the where the the tire will be. that's 50mm difference in width! how can a tire stay in the exact same place? [/quote]

Because it does stay in the same place. The tire tread width and cross section width is set by the tire molded construction. The width of the tire tread spits evenly across the tire equally on each side of the tire centerline. The tire centerline is set by the offset. Rim width has virtually no effect on the tire position, just whether the tire fits well on the rim as designed. Put too wide a tire or too tall and if the offset is wrong the tire will rub regardless of rim width.
As far as body modifications are concerned we probably rolled fenders and rebodied fenders before you were born And since we selected and mounted tires here for over 50 years you could say we work on tires. Worse, before I retired, I was a tire engineer who designed and tested tires.
We try not to have a customer have to mod his car because it destroys his car's worth on resale.

Last edited by mahout; 05-31-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
The point is the rim width will have little or no effect on the dimensions of the tire. Putting a wide tire, aka 205 mm, will rub on a 32 mm offset wheel even if the rim width is 5". Or 4" if you could mount it. Rim width will not change the tread width of the tire. Or its location.
Rim width will not change the tread width of the tire. This is correct.

WIDTH and TIRE SIZE will determine the location of the sidewall. The sidewall is what rubs the majority of the time - not the tread

if you take that +32 and put that offset on a 10" wide wheel w/ a 205, you could stretch that tire so that the sidewall wouldn't be as squared, and therefore not rub.

Also, it's incorrect to say a 205 w/ a +32 will rub even if it's a 5" or 4" width. What about camber? Ride height? What type of tire? There are too many variables to say it will rub.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member

Because it does stay in the same place. The tire tread width and cross section width is set by the tire molded construction. The width of the tire tread spits evenly across the tire equally on each side of the tire centerline. The tire centerline is set by the offset. Rim width has virtually no effect on the tire position, just whether the tire fits well on the rim as designed. Put too wide a tire or too tall and if the offset is wrong the tire will rub regardless of rim width.
As far as body modifications are concerned we probably rolled fenders and rebodied fenders before you were born And since we selected and mounted tires here for over 50 years you could say we work on tires. Worse, before I retired, I was a tire engineer who designed and tested tires.
We try not to have a customer have to mod his car because it destroys his car's worth on resale.
When you say on the forums that "no where is rim width a determination of tire placement" to people who just read and don't know any better...they think "well that guy said width doesnt matter, because it's all about offset, so i'll go get a x9, or x10 and i'll be fine" ..and that is NOT the case. People will read and base their decisions on what people type here.

Wheel fitment is simple. It's not rocket science. It's measurements and math.

It doesn't matter to me that you rolled fenders or rebodied fenders before I was born...but it's cool to know that you were a tire engineer... That's awesome (it really is, I'm not being sarcastic ) and it gives me an idea of where you're coming from. You should know, I like to stuff the widest, most aggressive offsets under stock fenders (rolled/pulled) that I can. If it means -5 degrees camber and a 215 on a 10" wide wheel, so be it. I love it and I live it everyday. Guess we know a little more about each other now. hahah

Last edited by danielg; 06-01-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
When you say on the forums that "no where is rim width a determination of tire placement" to people who just read and don't know any better...they think "well that guy said width doesnt matter, because it's all about offset, so i'll go get a x9, or x10 and i'll be fine" ..and that is NOT the case. People will read and base their decisions on what people type here.

Wheel fitment is simple. It's not rocket science. It's measurements and math.

It doesn't matter to me that you rolled fenders or rebodied fenders before I was born...but it's cool to know that you were a tire engineer... That's awesome (it really is, I'm not being sarcastic ) and it gives me an idea of where you're coming from. You should know, I like to stuff the widest, most aggressive offsets under stock fenders (rolled/pulled) that I can. If it means -5 degrees camber and a 215 on a 10" wide wheel, so be it. I love it and I live it everyday. Guess we know a little more about each other now. hahah

Sorry for the jab. I apologise. But I get so many PM from guys wanting to put low offset wheels on narrow rims (5" or 6") thinking, like you, that will work. You just caught the last straw.

Some have come in here arguing that they know its been done and they can too. Its come down to charging them for double mounting 205/50x15 tires on 5" rims with 32 mm offset and then putting them on 7" rims with 32 mm offset. Both rub the same places. The outside corner of the tread.
Then we show them how 42 mm offset wheels with the same size 205/50x15 is the only way to change the clearance to the fender. I keep a spare set already mounted just for that reason.
Truth is its the tire width that counts. You could put a 10"or 12' wide rim on the Fit but it would probably rub inside on the suspension. But you can't mount a tire that mounts correctly on a 10" rim that will even come close to properly fit on any FIT. And without fender mods 205 is the widest tire section that properly fits in 15 thru 17" sizes.

As I said before, once you modify your fenders your Fit value is zilch in the trade-in market. Wait'll you get some customer to modify his Fit so you can mount some wild tire/wheel combo and finds out nobody will buy his car when he wants to sell. So before you or your employer have him and his lawyer taking you to court for damages make sure he signs a waiver releasing you from results of those wheels/tires. If he's not of age get his parents signature. Its a cruel world out there.
Once you decide what tire size you can use you are stuck with whatever offset will work and the rim width that matches the tire size.
It ain't rocket science. But sometimes the accounting side gets rough.

Last edited by mahout; 06-01-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member

As I said before, once you modify your fenders your Fit value is zilch in the trade-in market. Wait'll you get some customer to modify his Fit so you can mount some wild tire/wheel combo and finds out nobody will buy his car when he wants to sell. So before you or your employer have him and his lawyer taking you to court for damages make sure he signs a waiver releasing you from results of those wheels/tires. If he's not of age get his parents signature. Its a cruel world out there.
Once you decide what tire size you can use you are stuck with whatever offset will work and the rim width that matches the tire size.
It ain't rocket science. But sometimes the accounting side gets rough.
I don't think anyone complains when we do wheel fitment here. Our customers are typically the guys who've already decided to go balls out on their cars. When people just want to get crazy wheel fitment, I make sure to explain to them it's not a bolt on type of thing - there is extra work involved - but anything is possible with planning and work.

So for everyone reading I guess there are 2 things to take from this.

1. if you want a slap on and go fitment - 205mm and you'll be fine.

2. If you want aggressive fitment (flush,poke) be prepared to some extra labor. You can get whatever you want to fit, but it's not as easy at mount and go.

mahout you got PM

Quick Reply: +32 offset question and 205/50/16 tire question