Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

General Exclaim UHP tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
Question General Exclaim UHP tires?

Any riding on the General Exclaim UHP summer tire?

General Exclaim UHP

I'm about ready to place a Tirerack order for wheels and tires, and it's down to deciding between General Exclaim UHP or Yokohama S-drives.

Looking for the best of all worlds - dry, especially wet, decent tread life, and not too expensive.

Seems the General's might be a little better, and a few bucks cheaper ($65 vs $71).

195/55/15 btw.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:27 AM
I have these exact tires. I like them. Have had them for 2 years now and have about 30k on them. It depends on what your driving style whether you will like them or not. But for me they worked great all around. I have about 40% treadlife remaining (7 months/year as I have winter tires the other 5 months). I have about 10k on them with my turbo and I have been hard on them. Only knock I have on them is that they break loose fairly easy, but that is expected when my car makes 170whp/165torque.

I recommend them as a affordable performance tire that is very good all around

Old 03-18-2009, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YeeFit
I have these exact tires. I like them. Have had them for 2 years now and have about 30k on them. It depends on what your driving style whether you will like them or not.
I recommend them as a affordable performance tire that is very good all around
Thanks YeeFit!

I'm coming from winter snow tires (Hankook I-pikes) that I have been pushing really, really hard the last two weeks. Surprisingly, I haven't even had them break loose - I actually love these things on the dry (aside from some sway under very hard braking).

My Fit it bone stock, and I drive it quite hard through corners. How are the side walls in regards to flex? I'm sure they'll feel better than the I-pike snow that's for sure.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:05 PM
How ironic....I was just looking at these 2 tires on Tirerack.com as well. Read nearly all the reviews for both before I chose the Yokos. Generals offer alot for about $5 less per tire. But for $5 per tire more, I felt that the Yokos are a more dedicated summer tire, a trusted brand and Made in Japan factors kinda made the decision for me.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:06 PM
The sidewalls are decent, I would say in the middle of the pack in terms of firmness for a UHP tire. They aren't really stiff, but not that soft either. I've whipped a few really hard turns and haven't had an issue with traction loss.. just straight line grip. If you're staying stock or just doing bolt ons like I/H/E then you'll do just fine with these.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by FITtin'
How ironic....I was just looking at these 2 tires on Tirerack.com as well. Read nearly all the reviews for both before I chose the Yokos. Generals offer alot for about $5 less per tire. But for $5 per tire more, I felt that the Yokos are a more dedicated summer tire, a trusted brand and Made in Japan factors kinda made the decision for me.
I prefer yokohama tires too, but the only one I like from Yokohama is the Parada, unfortunately they don't make them in a 195/55 or 205/50r15..

Personally my next tire will either be the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec, Falken Azenis RT-615 or Toyo Proxes T1R.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM
The Dunlop DZ1 SS were my top choice for a long time (since they were introduced). However, I think it was too much or a waste to put them on a Fit. Don't get me wrong, I love my Fit. It's alot fun and amazingly nimble. But it doesn't justify me putting an extreme summer tire on a Fit that'll spend it's life as a dd , even if it's a "spirited" dd. The Star Spec is a great choice for high-end or premium sports cars or for ppl that do alot of AutoXs.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
I ran these tires with great results on my old EJ1 ('93 Civic EX coupe.) Wet traction is very good with dry still above average.. not excellent though IMO. They are CHEAP, have very good treadwear but kind of squishy sidewalls compared to say Yokohama or Falken. Still a solid choice for a budget performance tire though!

These General Exclaim UHP's are 205/50/15's on 15x6.5" Konig Heliums...
Gosh I miss those Integra Type-R brakes & LSD..

Name:  EeeJayWon024.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  45.3 KB
Name:  EeeJayWon019.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  49.3 KB

Old 03-18-2009, 05:20 PM
FALCON PUNCH!!
5 Year Member
I have them and agree 100% with what everyone else has said... for the price they are pretty hard to beat. My Fit is DD and I autox it occasionally. Due to the soft sidewalls you can feel a little "give" under hard cornering, but I have yet to lose control. I have about 7,XXX miles on these tires and they have yet to show wear, which is expected considering they have a treadwear of 380. Car felt stable in rain as well, plus they are quiet too! You should feel confident buying these... great set of tires

*****EDIT*****

They also have a kick a$$ tread pattern... who does't like that?!?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:43 AM
I had for about 8 months... went over the curb with them "bang" blowed two tires....wasn't bad for what they are worth...but if you take the corners hard they might slip....
I got two Kumho SPT to replace them......wayyyyy better!!!!

Old 03-19-2009, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITtin'
The Dunlop DZ1 SS were my top choice for a long time (since they were introduced). However, I think it was too much or a waste to put them on a Fit. Don't get me wrong, I love my Fit. It's alot fun and amazingly nimble. But it doesn't justify me putting an extreme summer tire on a Fit that'll spend it's life as a dd , even if it's a "spirited" dd. The Star Spec is a great choice for high-end or premium sports cars or for ppl that do alot of AutoXs.
Originally Posted by avocado123
I have them and agree 100% with what everyone else has said... for the price they are pretty hard to beat. My Fit is DD and I autox it occasionally. Due to the soft sidewalls you can feel a little "give" under hard cornering, but I have yet to lose control. I have about 7,XXX miles on these tires and they have yet to show wear, which is expected considering they have a treadwear of 380. Car felt stable in rain as well, plus they are quiet too! You should feel confident buying these... great set of tires

*****EDIT*****

They also have a kick a$$ tread pattern... who does't like that?!?

I did 2 years (Summers) on the old Azenis with a '90 Civic Si. Loved those tires, and thought they were great in the rain too.

The "soft" sidewall does concern me, since I think that a stiffer sidewall might eliminate some of the sense of roll during cornering with the Fit.

I was originally planning on the Dunlop Star Specs, since I was going to keep my winter tires on the stock steel wheels. I am concerned however with taking the chance with the SS tires if I hit some gravel/dirt roads, during the summer, although I never had a problem with the Azenis back in the day.

Furthermore, I'm still hesitant on buying a second set of wheels for these "summer" tires. I used to Auto-x for a couple of years, but don't foresee doing it much more with the Fit.

I guess I just want another set of tires besides Snows, but at a cheap deal too.

$700-800 for wheels and tires is gonna be hard for me to swallow, but oh well, ya only live once!

Old 03-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Never had a problems with Exclaim UHP on my 626 but on the Fit it's gonna be Falken!!

Marko!!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
I had General Exclaim UHPs for about three days on my '99 Cougar. The Cougar was designed for twisties, and the UHPs were not a good match. Sidewalls were entirely too soft, even on 17s (+2 vs. stock for the Cougar). I've never had the Yokohamas, but I have to believe they'd be better than the UHPs. Supposedly that UHP stands for Ultra High Performance, but I couldn't figure out what type of performance they were aiming for with those tires. Just one guy's opinion.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:27 PM
I had those tires in 195/50R15 on my civic race-car. They had a little longer break-in period than most tires, but after about 2k miles they woke up, and I'd put them on par with my Dunlop RainSport tires.

They are almost rain tires, and they don't feel like they were designed to be dry-weather tires. When I bought them, I had rain in mind, as it never stops raining during the German summers.

They did pretty well on the track but I wouldn't buy them to be track tires. I did however feel that they didn't break away abruptly, they gave a nice warning when you pushed them to the edge.

I'm planning on buying them for my Fit, I just don't know what size of wheels I'm going to get yet, or they'd be on already.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:00 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
i had these on my Camry. 235/35/19
great tires.
thinking about getting them for the fit
in 205/50/16.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
tires

My stock Dunlops are close to the wear bars on my 08' Sport with 27k miles. Ordered the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec 195/55-15's from Discount Tire. A few dollors more than Tire Rack per tire but when you factor in the delivered price they were about $30 cheaper due to free shipping!

I love to whip around on the back roads over the hills and thru the woods. Almost bought the Generals but I am putting a premium on handling. I did put on coilovers which puts me a little lower than stock. Yea, they might be a little overkill for the Fit but I figured they were worth running at least one set. I will report back soon with a ride report.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by p1driftfiend
Any riding on the General Exclaim UHP summer tire?

General Exclaim UHP

I'm about ready to place a Tirerack order for wheels and tires, and it's down to deciding between General Exclaim UHP or Yokohama S-drives.

Looking for the best of all worlds - dry, especially wet, decent tread life, and not too expensive.

Seems the General's might be a little better, and a few bucks cheaper ($65 vs $71).

195/55/15 btw.

The yokos are better.