Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Crazy Anti-theft Idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
Crazy Anti-theft Idea

So here's a crazy idea. Instead of buying locking lugnuts that only deter the criminal, why not modify a hubcap to stick onto the rim? Find one of those cheap hucaps that cover up everything, add some fake curb scratches on it, and put some wall poster adhesive on the other side. When you park you stick on your wheels and take them off when you leave. Is this actually dumb or should I try it instead of buying locking lugnuts?

Old 03-07-2009, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
that would be so ghetto lol i'm sure they are not fools too. depending on the wheel you are tryna hide with the hubcap on it then it might make make the hubcap sit out further and they would know. Security, lugnuts of all types, garage.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitVic
that would be so ghetto lol i'm sure they are not fools too. depending on the wheel you are tryna hide with the hubcap on it then it might make make the hubcap sit out further and they would know. Security, lugnuts of all types, garage.

Ok what if you dremel down the edges so it sits flush

Old 03-07-2009, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
that could work. just get your hands on some hubcaps for dirt cheap like at a junk yard or something and test it out.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
lol

You need a 20 farad capacitor... hook one end up to the rim, the other to the car and pray a dogs and small children stay clear!

I have seen people lock their wheels up with rubber coated chains before whenever they have to leave their car in sketchy areas.

There are also more advanced wheel locks other than the usual wavy key ones. Some of them look just like regular lugs but they spin forever unless you hook up a special tool that locks it into place. It would confuse the hell out of somebody trying to get it off.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 03-07-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:19 AM
lol they are more experienced that you can ever imagine.. but who knows.. lol
try it then tell us what happens..

Old 03-07-2009, 02:22 PM
use magnets and make them stick to your lugnuts... but thing is if the rest of your car is nice theyll take something else anyways
you need a car cover like this instead
YouTube - Kia Spectra car cover clean version

Old 03-09-2009, 03:00 PM
spelng > me
5 Year Member
Who's to say they wont use a tow truck and take the whole car. Not to mention not eveybody who steals wheels steals them cause they aftermarket or nice lookin some times they have a flat and either just cant or just dont want to pay for some tire's a professional theif will jack you anyway just get a two way pager alarm some good wheel lock and a gps locator in case the whole car gets stolen. I saw some wheel covers on another site that are like the ones painters use to not get over spray on your wheels, that have a printed on graffic of what your car would look like if somebody stole your wheels. But I think that those would prolly get your car towed if anything plus anybody with half some cent's is going look close and see they not real. There is really not that much you can do but hope and make it harder for them

Old 03-09-2009, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
...and then they will see you pull up with your nice wheels and watch you stick on your "security hub caps" and as soon as your gone they will take off the hub caps and steal your wheels...

Old 03-10-2009, 03:11 AM
Originally Posted by rushlow
...and then they will see you pull up with your nice wheels and watch you stick on your "security hub caps" and as soon as your gone they will take off the hub caps and steal your wheels...
theyre gonna put shitty steelies or spare tires then put the security caps on so you think your rims are still there haha

Old 03-10-2009, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
get steel wheels if you are worried about theft. all of these "deterrents" are just for everyday people walking by. if a real thief wants your wheels, they'll get them

Old 03-10-2009, 04:12 AM
there was a company that made an alarm that has a sensor in the rims and if you took them off the alarm would sound. i saw it in a sema magazine but i cant remember the companys name..

Old 03-10-2009, 07:12 AM
yea but its all down to if they want your rims nothing goin to stop them. they will just bust out the four people jack that one person per rim. i heard about it. that less then 5 min they got all four rims and car on jack stands. the alarm will not stop them. unless its a big populated area.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
thieves are stealing tow trucks to harvest cars. theres one that takes less than 8 seconds to steal the car. it can grab a car from almost any angle.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:07 AM
spelng > me
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
thieves are stealing tow trucks to harvest cars. theres one that takes less than 8 seconds to steal the car. it can grab a car from almost any angle.
I used to drive a towtruck some years back its called a wheel lift. Which is why I said in my previous post they may use one. The arms lock when pushed against the tire if you set them like that ahead of time, and you dont have to even get out, using four basic toggle switches. Back up bump snap lock and pull less than 5 mins, mabey even less then two if you have a pretty strait recovery angle. Plus when you have a tow truck you dont appear to be stealing and even if you catch them he can just say he repo-in it and take it up with the bank. Then he can really just take his time. Not to mention if he has some of those orange abandon car stickers he can fill it out your cars been sitting allread ahead of time then put the sticker on as he tows it and the cops will do nothing. By boss used to do it all the time

Old 03-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if it's your dd you're talking about, dont waste your money. itll just bring more hassles and worries...keeps you nervous all the time. not a good thing.

not good. just get some cheezo wheels and use them/paint them watever until they break.