Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Shoping for tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Shoping for tires?

Guys,
I have few favorites saved up and keep using them researching and checking on tires.
OEM tires on both my Fit and Civic are junk and upgrading to a brand new tires as soon as you get a new Fit from the dealership is not such a dumb idea at all. Believe me! Tires can transform the car just as much if not more than suspension and wheels. Tires with more grip and slightly stiffer sidewalls can reduce your stopping distance and cornering ability so much that they just may make a difference between crashing and making it safe home. Take OEM tires off and save them for the time when you decide to sell the car, or put them on cheap steel wheels for rainy season although they are junk as I mentioned. Maybe you can trade them in and offset the expense of new ones? Some tire shops will do it!
If you are not putting tires on expensive after market wheels, go to Walmart for mounting and balancing! You will spend about half of what reputable tire shops charge!
For tire research use Tire Rack reviews and scoring results. Filter by vehicle make! Some tires might be quiet on domestics and outrageously noisy on your Honda (Fit) and vice versa! Check frequently for availability and pricing! When they get overstocked on a particular tire model, they will drop the price big time to blow them out. I am kicking myself for not pulling a trigger on Michelin Hydroedge for my Civic couple weeks ago! They went from $121 down to $87/ea!
Best advice of all, even if you do not buy from Tire Rack and find local installer for cheap, ask tire shop where you are buying them if they will do price matching with Tire Rack! Shipping to my location from Reno warehouse is under $40 UPS Ground (1 day transit time) and there is no tax on out of state purchases. If you are buying a set at $500 or more Tire Rack is cheaper option by far because there is no tax! Keep in mind that if they agree to price match (America's Tires does!) they will include estimated freight charges in the price! It is still cheaper than paying what they offer you as is! Negotiate! Prices are not etched in stone!
For my Civic EX I scored BFG g-Force Super Sports A/S from America's Tire (retailing for $111/ea) for $70/ea due to price matching! I also ordered Kuhmo ASX for the Fit from Tire rack for $53/ea in 205/50/15 (195/55/15 are $52/ea!)!
Good luck!

Rim & Tire fitments calculator:
Wheel-Tire size comparer - RIMS-N-TIRES

OEM Fit tires 195/55/15:
Compare Tire Search Results

205/50/15 will fit on OEM Fit wheels as a step up in width:

205/45/16 if you go +1 with 16" wheels:

215/40/16 going slightly wider on 16" wheels:

205/40/17 going +2, 17" wheels:

If you have any other sizes you would like me to add to the post for ease of search let me know.

Ivan

Old 11-28-2008, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Nice post. Do you think switching from 195/55's to 205/50's on the Stock Sport rims will result in dramatic loss in mpg? Thinking about going fatter on my next set, but MPG is my biggest priority.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Nice post. Do you think switching from 195/55's to 205/50's on the Stock Sport rims will result in dramatic loss in mpg? Thinking about going fatter on my next set, but MPG is my biggest priority.
No doubt you will loose some, but not much! I am using wheels of my CRX which are 15x7 OZ Evolutions and heavier than OEM wheels. They are wrapped in 205/50/15's and my mileage barely changed 1-2 mpg. It is not so much about increased drag and weight as much about your right foot!

Another interesting thing I experienced was the fact that before I always tried getting hypermiling without doing it extremely, but just keep steady rpm's and accelerate slowly. Letting speed gradually build up, coast to stops, ..... I could not get mileage some people here were(in my neighborhood!) were getting! Then I started commuting to a new job and started taking a very twisty canyon as an alternative when fwy was packed. I used to blast Mulholland and it's tributaries in my teenage days, so I am no stranger of pushing hard in there with skill to back it up. Repeated redlining in 2,3 and 4th gear improved my mileage when I am hypermiling! As if ECU learned what is real pushing to the max and opposite extreme of taking it easy! Go figure! Now when I start blasting in the canyons electronic throttle response becomes instantenous as if it is my CRX'es cable set up! No delay at all!
I am liking my Fit even more now with it's dual personality. Wolf in a sheep skin! I wish I could take pics of people's faces when I pass them in the canyon! Expressions are priceless when M3, WRX and other "performance car" drivers realize they just got passed by a 1.5L subcompact econo box! If they only knew it is an automatic they would be slashing their wrists!

Last edited by ciburri; 11-30-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ciburri
Guys,
I have few favorites saved up and keep using them researching and checking on tires.
OEM tires on both my Fit and Civic are junk and upgrading to a brand new tires as soon as you get a new Fit from the dealership is not such a dumb idea at all. Believe me! Tires can transform the car just as much if not more than suspension and wheels. Tires with more grip and slightly stiffer sidewalls can reduce your stopping distance and cornering ability so much that they just may make a difference between crashing and making it safe home. Take OEM tires off and save them for the time when you decide to sell the car, or put them on cheap steel wheels for rainy season although they are junk as I mentioned. Maybe you can trade them in and offset the expense of new ones? Some tire shops will do it!
If you are not putting tires on expensive after market wheels, go to Walmart for mounting and balancing! You will spend about half of what reputable tire shops charge!
For tire research use Tire Rack reviews and scoring results. Filter by vehicle make! Some tires might be quiet on domestics and outrageously noisy on your Honda (Fit) and vice versa! Check frequently for availability and pricing! When they get overstocked on a particular tire model, they will drop the price big time to blow them out. I am kicking myself for not pulling a trigger on Michelin Hydroedge for my Civic couple weeks ago! They went from $121 down to $87/ea!
Best advice of all, even if you do not buy from Tire Rack and find local installer for cheap, ask tire shop where you are buying them if they will do price matching with Tire Rack! Shipping to my location from Reno warehouse is under $40 UPS Ground (1 day transit time) and there is no tax on out of state purchases. If you are buying a set at $500 or more Tire Rack is cheaper option by far because there is no tax! Keep in mind that if they agree to price match (America's Tires does!) they will include estimated freight charges in the price! It is still cheaper than paying what they offer you as is! Negotiate! Prices are not etched in stone!
For my Civic EX I scored BFG g-Force Super Sports A/S from America's Tire (retailing for $111/ea) for $70/ea due to price matching! I also ordered Kuhmo ASX for the Fit from Tire rack for $53/ea in 205/50/15 (195/55/15 are $52/ea!)!
Good luck!

Rim & Tire fitments calculator:
Wheel-Tire size comparer - RIMS-N-TIRES

OEM Fit tires 195/55/15:

205/50/15 will fit on OEM Fit wheels as a step up in width:

205/45/16 if you go +1 with 16" wheels:

215/40/16 going slightly wider on 16" wheels:

205/40/17 going +2, 17" wheels:

If you have any other sizes you would like me to add to the post for ease of search let me know.

Ivan
Ivan, I'm currently running 205/55/15 on stockers. No noticeable change in mileage, but than again I haven't been keeping track of them. Since those tires are about 2 sizes up from the oem crap tires, I'm off about 5mphs.

As for other size that fits, the Spoon racing fit, is running with 195/50/15 on 15x6.5 (I believe).

If your in the neighborhood, I don't mind letting you take a spin...if I finally get around to fix my lower control arm

Old 03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Slimjimx701x
Ivan, I'm currently running 205/55/15 on stockers. No noticeable change in mileage, but than again I haven't been keeping track of them. Since those tires are about 2 sizes up from the oem crap tires, I'm off about 5mphs.

As for other size that fits, the Spoon racing fit, is running with 195/50/15 on 15x6.5 (I believe).

If your in the neighborhood, I don't mind letting you take a spin...if I finally get around to fix my lower control arm
Any full pics from your 205/55/15 stockers?