Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Dealer wants $800- where to get snow tires? (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Dealer wants $800- where to get snow tires? (Canada)

I phoned up the dealer today and for snow tires and rims installed for my Fit LX they want $800. This is a lot more than I expected it to be. Is it worth going to the dealer for this or should I be going somewhere else? And if somewhere else, there would you recommend? (keeping in mind I'm in Canada)

Thanks for the help and sorry for the noob question.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Beorp
I phoned up the dealer today and for snow tires and rims installed for my Fit LX they want $800. This is a lot more than I expected it to be. Is it worth going to the dealer for this or should I be going somewhere else?
I paid almost $500 to have mid-grade snow tires installed on my current rims. With the new law in Quebec, experts expect there to be a shortage of 2 million available tires this winter - many dealers are sold out in some sizes in Ontario. As well, just getting an appointment may be difficult.

I would expect the dealer to be slightly more expensive than a tire store, but in any case you could check out Wally World or Crappy Tire for any deals.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:23 PM
My buddy that owns a tire shop just installed a set of 4 brand new snow tires on a truck yesterday. He mounted balanced and installed for $440.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:30 PM
NMG
Is that $800 taxes in? What type of tires? Just off the top of my head it doesn't sound too bad, especially since that includes rims. I paid a little over $700 taxes in for my Nokian WRG2's installed and balanced on my stock rims.

Allot would probably depend on the type of rubber.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
discounttiredirect,

or ebay

Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Old 11-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by DeeZeex
I paid almost $500 to have mid-grade snow tires installed on my current rims. With the new law in Quebec, experts expect there to be a shortage of 2 million available tires this winter - many dealers are sold out in some sizes in Ontario. As well, just getting an appointment may be difficult.

I would expect the dealer to be slightly more expensive than a tire store, but in any case you could check out Wally World or Crappy Tire for any deals.
They have the in stock and could put them on on Friday morning for me. Maybe it is best just to do it. And to answer another poster's question, it is $800 plus tax.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
I phoned up the dealer today and for snow tires and rims installed for my Fit LX they want $800. This is a lot more than I expected it to be. Is it worth going to the dealer for this or should I be going somewhere else? And if somewhere else, there would you recommend? (keeping in mind I'm in Canada)

Discount Tire Direct and Tire Rack are 2 good mail order suppliers. Discount mounts and balances tire/wheel combos and used to have free shipping, but lately may be different. Use their websites.
Discount is reputed to have a $100 off sale Nov 23, 24, if you can wait that long but I'd confirm.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Former Vendor
In Canada tho, there is ususally taxes, brokerage and duty that will take it up higher as well. feel free to call and i will be ahppy to see what i can come up with for you

Old 11-12-2008, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
800$ I paid 950$ for Konig Alloys with winter rubbers shipped from tiretrends.com

Name:  DSC00081.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  77.3 KB

Old 11-13-2008, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
+whatever 1 or 2 or even 3 heh

discounttiredirect.com BEST place to get tires. have them ship it to discount tire or whereever and get that installed.

or EDGEracing.com i think they may have snow tires

Old 11-13-2008, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
It's kinda late to get winter tires now, most of the local tire shops are running out of stock/back order on popular sizes like 195/50R15, 195/55R15, 205/55R16 etc etc......

$800 worth it or not, it depends. I'd pickup some used steelies/stock oem 14" alloy rims & get tires from tire rack/discount tire. Just make sure that u don't waste $ on those whatever nankang/no brand snow tires. Tires are like your shoes that can save your(and your family's) life.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:49 PM
For reference, my set cost me $960, $140 each for 185/60R15 88R XL Nokian Hakkalepiitta R winter tires and $60 each for 15" Honda steel rims. Bought from Kal Tire in late September and the price includes switch-over twice/year, lifetime valves and balancing.

So your set is $800 plus tax so around $900 total. Really, justifying the expense depends upon where you live and what type of winter conditions you encounter. In my case, I'm in a snow belt in North Eastern Ontario. Snow tires realistically are NOT an option up here and excellent quality ones are well worth the extra $$

You'd be getting 4 Honda 15" steel rims (like I am) and what brand of winter tires? That makes all the difference in deciding whether or not $800 is reasonable...

Old 11-15-2008, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
holy crap, you guy (and gals) get hosed on tires up there in canada, i live in salt lake city (2002 winter olympic games) we get snow! probably not as much as you guys but hell!
i'm squaking about paying 90.00 dollars each for bridgestone blizzack low profile tires, + 15.00 each for mount and balance, now thats just for tires (the best snow/ice tire on the market down here in the states) hell i feel lucky now
well i hope you get a deal nonetheless!!! but definately do your homework on tire quality and performance, cheap tires are just that - C H E A P !

Old 11-15-2008, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
Helloo people we go some nice winters with konig feather 15" for 950$ much better than steelies---tiretrends.com

Old 11-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Well my set just went on 30 mins ago but I'm curious about Canadians buying tires/wheels through Tiretrends. How much did you end up paying for shipping and duties?

Originally Posted by jtsimaras
Helloo people we go some nice winters with konig feather 15" for 950$ much better than steelies---tiretrends.com

Old 11-15-2008, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
Well my set just went on 30 mins ago but I'm curious about Canadians buying tires/wheels through Tiretrends. How much did you end up paying for shipping and duties?
It was 950 canadian funds which includes shipping they are canadian so there is no duty or brokerage fees.
Pretty good deal I thought.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Oh, ok. Tire TRENDS not Tire RACK. Got confused there. Well, since I can't install the tires myself I needed to get these locally. I was also set on getting Nokian Hakkalepiittas for my winter tire, which only Kal Tire carries. Still, I'll keep them in mind if I decide on a new set of wheels for summer use.

Originally Posted by jtsimaras
It was 950 canadian funds which includes shipping they are canadian so there is no duty or brokerage fees.
Pretty good deal I thought.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
Oh, ok. Tire TRENDS not Tire RACK. Got confused there. Well, since I can't install the tires myself I needed to get these locally. I was also set on getting Nokian Hakkalepiittas for my winter tire, which only Kal Tire carries. Still, I'll keep them in mind if I decide on a new set of wheels for summer use.
Get them shipped to your house and then take them somewhere to get installed or ask a buddy to help you swap out wheels---take no more than 30 minutes to do all four.
If need assistance using the tiretrend website which is kind of gumbersome let me know---or you can just call them. At first I was kind of worried about orering wheels online---once I received the wheels I was so impressed how they where shipped and the fact the wheels did not have one problem.
I purchased 6 different wheelsets in the last 10 years or so from local shops and almost everytime there was a problem from bent, scratched, time delay, unbalanced etc.

In addition tiretrends main office is in ontario

Last edited by jtsimaras; 11-15-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:11 AM
Hey Beorp,

I'm in Toronto, I got my 14" Firestone winter tires installed from the dealer (Parkway Honda) last year for around $650 with steel rims. The tires are ok but they were $86 each

Seems like they still have them on their website:
http://www.parkwayhonda.com/en/parts...0&itemid=68484

Quick Reply: Dealer wants $800- where to get snow tires? (Canada)