Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
vibration problem

My wheel seems to "jerk" to the right intermittently on the highway. It's kind of weird, since it's periodic. It'll do it once every, say, 2 seconds. It's not the road, because i've tested it on different road surfaces. Is this possible with a bad alignment? Or something else?

I'm also experiencing vibrations at 80mph. is this a tire balancing issue? i'm tempted to get rid of the OEM tires at this point (17k miles) due to poor wet traction.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:22 PM
My first guess would be a tire balancing or alignment issue. However, I recently experienced a similar feeling in my car (slight tuck to the right in the steering at highway speeds.) Soon after, I began hearing a clanking sound (very noticeable) from the front of the car. Turned out that after hitting lots of potholes, (Boston area roads SUCK!) my car needed to have the front swaybar bushings and the right front endlink bushing replaced. This completely fixed the problem. My car is at around 51,000 miles. So my advice would be to have the tires balanced first since it's cheap to do and may very well be your issue, and if that doesn't work, have a tech take a look at the front end of the car and find out if there is any excess play in the swaybar and endlink bushings.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Same issue with my '07 one and my Enkei wheels http://enkei.com/Performance%20specs/evo6.html with 204x40R17 tires, dashboard vibrations starting at about 70 mph and premature tire wear (see my thread couple of posts down), but I have NO pulling to any side, went to the dealer (that's Honda dealer, the ones with the most expertize in our car!) for the alignment, the only readings in red were for the rear toe (told that's the reason for the premature tire wear!!!) but as per them the Fit (and Civics as well) do not allow alignment adjustment for the rear wheels, that's how the car was built, alignment adjustment only for the front wheels... I'm curious if somebody has a second opinion!

So far I've got 90K miles in 2 years, no other issues whatsoever except with the freaking gas cap that once per 2 months sets off the engine light, then I have to take off the gas cap, put it back on, do some 3 full rotations and then wait about one day for the engine light to go away...

Chris

Old 09-08-2008, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
we can adjust the rear with shims but the issue with that is that the abs light will go on due to the abs wheel and the sensor arent aligned they due have kits for them ive seen them and for the vibration problrm get it rebalanced if it still does that that means that your tires may be either your alignment is out or your tires have flat spots or seperateing

Old 09-08-2008, 06:34 AM
Don't forget our rotors are crap and if they are starting to warp you'll get some high speed vibrations.....