Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Need some support on 17"

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Need some support on 17"

Hey there, I have a situation here. I bought a 2008 Fit with a 17" RAZE R51, 205/40/17. And traded in my stocks. I have three problems. One, TPMS light stay on. Two, is rubbin in the rear. Three I paid too much for the wheels. So I have told the dealer about my problem. I would think dealer would know things like this. So I did some research on my own. I called up the razewheel.cxm and ask them if the wheels I choose. Do they work with the TPMS. They told me flat out no it doesn't. So now I have a case to fight with the dealership. I told them that this wheels you sold to me is not compatible with the TPMS. Plus the tires are rubbing. So I demanded my stock and money back. So the dealer prolonged this matter for about 3 weeks now. And I found out that the dealer has spoken to the wheels manufacture about the problem. And now the manufacture's web site telling only the 10 spokes is compatible with TPMS. Mine is 8 spokes.Not only the dealer has spoken to them. They also borrowed a set of wheels to see if they could modify to work with TPMS. So now it come down to they have make the valve bigger so they can put in the sensor. And as for the second problem. They would have to put in smaller tires. So all I wanted is for them to give me back my stock and refund the money.The sales manager made me a deal by saying I would have all your problem fix. And refund some money back to me. But I have not say yes to it.But I still want my stock back even though. So what do you guy think about the whole situation? What should I do? Thanks

Old 08-08-2008, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fithonda2008
Hey there, I have a situation here. I bought a 2008 Fit with a 17" RAZE R51, 205/40/17. And traded in my stocks. I have three problems. One, TPMS light stay on. Two, is rubbin in the rear. Three I paid too much for the wheels. So I have told the dealer about my problem. I would think dealer would know things like this. So I did some research on my own. I called up the razewheel.cxm and ask them if the wheels I choose. Do they work with the TPMS. They told me flat out no it doesn't. So now I have a case to fight with the dealership. I told them that this wheels you sold to me is not compatible with the TPMS. Plus the tires are rubbing. So I demanded my stock and money back. So the dealer prolonged this matter for about 3 weeks now. And I found out that the dealer has spoken to the wheels manufacture about the problem. And now the manufacture's web site telling only the 10 spokes is compatible with TPMS. Mine is 8 spokes.Not only the dealer has spoken to them. They also borrowed a set of wheels to see if they could modify to work with TPMS. So now it come down to they have make the valve bigger so they can put in the sensor. And as for the second problem. They would have to put in smaller tires. So all I wanted is for them to give me back my stock and refund the money.The sales manager made me a deal by saying I would have all your problem fix. And refund some money back to me. But I have not say yes to it.But I still want my stock back even though. So what do you guy think about the whole situation? What should I do? Thanks

The number of spokes has nothing to do with TPMS. TPMS is a sensor in the base of the air valve that is set to trip at anywhere from 26 to 32 psi. The only difference is the air valve hole unless the rim is funny shaped.
The signal is picked up by a unit in the suspension. Those TPMS 'devices' cost anywhere from $55 to 105 each wheel so were not likely to have been installed in aftermarket wheels. There is no requirement for aftermarket wheels to use TPMS. Only stock wheels.
As far as rubbing is concerned 205/40x17 tires will rub if the offset of the wheel is less than 42mm and the Fit is not lowered. If it is, use 45 mm minimum offset.
My advice is if the aftermarket wheels have offset less than 42 mm I'd take back the stock wheels and cash extra paid. The offset is usually found in the back of one of the spokes; in your case it may say 38, meaning 38 mm offsset.
You can use 1/4" spacers on the wheels to widen the stance and appear to fill out the wheel well to look better. Just make sure you get at least 7 turns of thread engagement on the lugbolts.

Last edited by mahout; 08-08-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Mahout, thanks for that info. Yes I understand that the spokes have nothing to do with the TPMS. I was trying to point out that the manufacture have two style. One with 8 spokes and the other with 10.
And the manufacture stated only the 1o spokes ones are ampatible with TPMS. But really thanks for the info.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
The number of spokes has nothing to do with TPMS. TPMS is a sensor in the base of the air valve that is set to trip at anywhere from 26 to 32 psi. The only difference is the air valve hole unless the rim is funny shaped.
The signal is picked up by a unit in the suspension. Those TPMS 'devices' cost anywhere from $55 to 105 each wheel so were not likely to have been installed in aftermarket wheels. There is no requirement for aftermarket wheels to use TPMS. Only stock wheels.
As far as rubbing is concerned 205/40x17 tires will rub if the offset of the wheel is less than 42mm and the Fit is not lowered. If it is, use 45 mm minimum offset.
My advice is if the aftermarket wheels have offset less than 42 mm I'd take back the stock wheels and cash extra paid. The offset is usually found in the back of one of the spokes; in your case it may say 38, meaning 38 mm offsset.
You can use 1/4" spacers on the wheels to widen the stance and appear to fill out the wheel well to look better. Just make sure you get at least 7 turns of thread engagement on the lugbolts.
Hey Mahout,

I didn't understand your advice. So keep the new wheels and for stock back and ask for some cash back?

Thanks

Old 08-08-2008, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
so when you bought your rims you traded them into the honda dealer? what did they give you? credit towards your car loan?

if thats the case, its not their fault that the wheels don't work.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by eldaino
so when you bought your rims you traded them into the honda dealer? what did they give you? credit towards your car loan?

if thats the case, its not their fault that the wheels don't work.
Eldaino,

Why wouldn't it be their fault. If you pay for some thing you like. And is not working like it suppose to be. Wouldn't you want your money back.
Plus the dealer claim they have a performance team. They should have caught the problem before they even sell me those wheels.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
AHHHH so the dealer sold you those wheels?

then, yes, its defintely their problem. and they need to fix it.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by eldaino
AHHHH so the dealer sold you those wheels?

then, yes, its defintely their problem. and they need to fix it.
Eldaino,

What wheel do you have on your Fit. And what would you recommend for 17" what offset will fit in the Fit. Care to share your Fit photos?

Thanks

Old 08-08-2008, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
bring them back. raise hell, and yeah get your money back . period

Old 08-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
bring them back. raise hell, and yeah get your money back . period
Hey Mr. Fit,

Bring them back and raise hell even though the dealer ship agree to fix my problems?