Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

What has been your experience with your Rotas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
What has been your experience with your Rotas?

I got fed up with a set of Konig Feathers, bent them out of shape twice due to the unpredictably messed up the streets are where I live.

I'm planning on investing on some quality Forged wheels, specifically a set of Enkei JS-M's or RP-F1's but someone told me that Rota wheels are generally very strong.

If you have Rota wheels yourself and live in a place with bad streets; what has been your experience with them after accidentally running over a few pot holes? Are they as buttery soft as the Konigs I had or will they be stronger?

Old 05-18-2008, 01:34 PM
i have rota jmags and track R, both 16", but so far so good.......

Old 05-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Banned
I ran a set of slipstreams on my accord for 3 spring/summer/falls and never ran into any issues.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
if you're damaging rims whether they are rota's, enkei's, volk's or whatever else, you're damaging rims.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
if you're damaging rims whether they are rota's, enkei's, volk's or whatever else, you're damaging rims.
True but not all rims are as strong as others. So I'm asking generally how tough are Rotas. I know Enkeis are hard as nails. I know a few people with aftermarket Enkeis down here and accidentally hitting some potholes all they have done is damage their tires, the rims are perfect.

Its not that I want to run over every pothole and not have issues but its so bad down here that new potholes emerge on a daily basis on the same roads I travel every day or they change in severity. So its unavoidable to hit a pothole every now and then. My Konigs I replaced the two bent ones and set them appart strictly for track use now I want something good looking and HARD to use on the street. I've been looking at either going all out on some black RP-F1's (wich I can muster up for approx $800 new) or go cheap again but with maybe a heavier cast wheel like Rota Grids.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by nttdemented
True but not all rims are as strong as others. So I'm asking generally how tough are Rotas. I know Enkeis are hard as nails. I know a few people with aftermarket Enkeis down here and accidentally hitting some potholes all they have done is damage their tires, the rims are perfect.

Its not that I want to run over every pothole and not have issues but its so bad down here that new potholes emerge on a daily basis on the same roads I travel every day or they change in severity. So its unavoidable to hit a pothole every now and then. My Konigs I replaced the two bent ones and set them appart strictly for track use now I want something good looking and HARD to use on the street. I've been looking at either going all out on some black RP-F1's (wich I can muster up for approx $800 new) or go cheap again but with maybe a heavier cast wheel like Rota Grids.
The other thing with buying a cheaper rim is that if you damage it who gives a shit. Thats why I ran Rota's they were $500 for the set instead of $500 a piece, so if I damage one rim I would only have to buy one $125 rim instead of a $500 rim

Old 05-18-2008, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Ok but that still doesn't answer my question. Will the Rotas be tougher than Konigs?

Old 05-18-2008, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nttdemented
Ok but that still doesn't answer my question. Will the Rotas be tougher than Konigs?
konigs seem to generally be lighter than rotas, and not because of they are forged, as you already know. i think they are just more cheaply made. there are quite a few who track their cars with rotas and have put them through quite a bit of abuse before they gave up.

i think its safe to say that the rotas would hold up much better, and at least as well as cast enkei wheels.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
They're probably going to hold up better yes. You're going to have better luck running a higher profile tire than worrying about who makes the wheel. What size wheels/tires were you running when this happened?

Old 05-18-2008, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
it's all the same thing!!!! if you're worried about damaging a rim, watch where you're driving!

Old 05-18-2008, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
sol, sorry bro but there is no fing way you can not hig any pothole in Puerto Rico. Its just damn near impossible.

As for tires I ran 195/50/15's on my Konigs. I'm thinking of going for either some Grids or Torques. Give Rota a chance...

Old 05-18-2008, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
Well with that tire size you'd have to be hitting some pretty bad potholes no matter the wheel I'd imagine. PR or not, I'd just be extremely careful as to where you are driving and at what speed. That's probably gonna be your best bet. Either way, GL with the rims. I know how bad it sucks to bend them.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah and get HIDs so I can see further ahead at nighte. jejeje

Old 05-19-2008, 01:53 PM
why dont you just go with a set of Enkei, since you already know they are strong. or if you are THAT worried about how strong aftermarket wheels are, call rota or just stay with the stock wheels.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:51 AM
i used to have Rota wheels on my Subaru Outback.

i bought and changed so many rims when i used to have Subaru, most of them are knock off and cheap brands.

i have to say that Rota wheels are quite strong for $500-800 (a set of wheels).

i cracked one of the rota wheels because i used a hard coilover setup for San Francisco Downtown road. yeah, i bought 10kg-8kg coilover for an outback wagon. :P it was still too soft for me but not for the wheels. LOL

well, i would say it was the best wheels for that range of price!!

Old 05-25-2008, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Well this was all pretty pointless. I had to buy my rims to solve an emergency. I was using the stock 14" steelies with $20 used tires on the back. They BOTH blew out on the same trip, and I mean the tread ripped off. I already had my Toyo Proxes 4 for my previous rims wich were in perfect shape so I had to buy either a set of rims to use them or buy new tires for my steelies (wich I didn't want to do).

Since I work for the largest speedshop/distributor in Puerto Rico I waited till I got back to the office last monday and asked him what he had in stock and I ended up getting another set of Konigs. I think I'm just gonna be more carefull on the road.

The rims are Konig Daylites in Orage 15x6.5 40+ET 12lbs. And they were free for me!

Old 05-25-2008, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Rotas FTW c10's Jspls Slips gt3's all on Hawaii's Potholed roads. Still banging for about 3-4 years now. only thing bad on it is curb rash but besides that they hold up on potholes with semilow pro tires.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:30 PM
i had rotas on my old 91 integra for over a year and swapped them to my Fit when i got it. they have 195(?)/45s i believe... they held up great for me.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
Coming from the Subaru world, Rota's do enjoy a reputation for being very strong. I never had a problem and drove my WRX like a rally car at times. It is very difficult to say if my Konig Heliums are stonger but they are cetainly a little better quality. I live in MA and the roads are pretty bad. I hit a few pot holes here and there and the wheels are holding up great. Konig's are also popular among the Miata crowd and I never had any problems when I had my Miata.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by fazzster
Coming from the Subaru world, Rota's do enjoy a reputation for being very strong. I never had a problem and drove my WRX like a rally car at times. It is very difficult to say if my Konig Heliums are stonger but they are cetainly a little better quality. I live in MA and the roads are pretty bad. I hit a few pot holes here and there and the wheels are holding up great. Konig's are also popular among the Miata crowd and I never had any problems when I had my Miata.
when you had your what? Name:  miata.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  43.1 KB

Quick Reply: What has been your experience with your Rotas?