Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Help - how to swap TPMS sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Rod2Rice
I was looking to get a set of wheels/tires from Discount Tire. They told me I would need to go to the dealer to get new sensors for the wheels. Anyone else run into this? I'd like to have the system work properly for the rare instance when my wife will end up driving the Fit. Will it be as simple as getting new sensors (don't feel like removing the ones from the factory wheels) then taking the wheels/tires/sensors to a shop to get them all mounted and balanced? Then swap em on and the car should be good to go?
Some companies like our sponser Tire Rack offers sensors installed at a better price than the dealer. 300+ dollars. But, I guess you can swap em anytime.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Make sure the new rims will take the sensors - the 2008 Honda rims are machined with a flat surface on the inside of the valve stem hole to accommodate a sensor, the 2007's are not (there's a video of collegehillshonda installing sensors on 2007 rims but I wouldn't trust it).

Consider the price of a set of sensors - $60 or more per sensor IIRC. Also, the dealer has to use a diagnostic tool to get the TPMS to register the new sensors. $100 is the standard price.

This means an additional $340 or more above what you're paying for the new wheels and tires if you want new sensors that work. It might be cheaper to have them pull the sensors from your old tires if you're not trying to sell the old ones as a complete set and avoid both costs entirely.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
I thought it was stated here that there is no need to register the sensors at the dealer at all. I'm picking up my Fit tomorrow, so I'll see what kind of line the service dept give me regarding this. ALso gonna check with the local tire shop down the block from me and get their take on it also.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MarkyMark
You need to use tire mounting equipment. Also, you will need to have the tires balanced, which also requires proper equipment.
correct. removing and installing wheel sensors isn't a DIY thing. you need to go to a tire shop.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 AM
well what if i don't use the tpms with my new wheels/tire combo? how will the system react? how necessary is it to have? i check my shit manually everyday so i don't need some *** ass electronic thing telling me how much psi i has.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by slip
well what if i don't use the tpms with my new wheels/tire combo? how will the system react? how necessary is it to have? i check my shit manually everyday so i don't need some *** ass electronic thing telling me how much psi i has.
While driving about a mile or so the car will beep once telling you your tire is low, then the indicator light will stay on. Check the threads on Fits with snow tire swaps.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
I thought it was stated here that there is no need to register the sensors at the dealer at all.
Lots of stuff is stated here, only some of it is true. I didn't watch the tech at the dealership actual do the work so I can't say for sure he used a special box. I can say the OEM alloy sensors didn't self register (it was suggested here they would) after a week of driving. It did take about 20+ miles for the light to come on as posted here. The dealer was able to get the sensors to register and the light to go out. Some have posted here it takes a special box and a deflate/inflate of the tires. The service rep confirmed this if you want to believe him.

Last edited by Rob22315; 05-06-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob22315
Lots of stuff is stated here, only some of it is true. I didn't watch the tech at the dealership actual do the work so I can't say for sure he used a special box. I can say the OEM alloy sensors didn't self register (it was suggested here they would) after a week of driving. It did take about 20+ miles for the light to come on as posted here. The dealer was able to get the sensors to register and the light to go out. Some have posted here it takes a special box and a deflate/inflate of the tires. The service rep confirmed this if you want to believe him.
So did you use OEM sensors in the aftermarket wheels, then take it to the dealer to get the light to go off? I am ready to get the wheels/tires I want, I just need to figure out the whole TPMS thing so I can do it right. Debating if I should just get new sensors so I can leave the oem wheels and tires all together in case I ever need to swap em back on or sell them.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
So did you use OEM sensors in the aftermarket wheels, then take it to the dealer to get the light to go off? I am ready to get the wheels/tires I want, I just need to figure out the whole TPMS thing so I can do it right. Debating if I should just get new sensors so I can leave the oem wheels and tires all together in case I ever need to swap em back on or sell them.
In my case, I bought Sport alloys as a complete assembly so I didn't have to mount sensors on the rims, they were already there. The car didn't recognize the new sensors so I had to take it to the dealer. These were the OEM sensors from someone else's car. Same situation as buying new sensors and having them installed in aftermarket rims as far as the TPMS is concerned. The one thing I don't know is if the TPMS will register 8 sensors (2 sets of wheels) or 4 (1 set). You'll have to check the threads where winter tires are discussed.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
I think I may just see about swapping the sensors over to the wheels I want to get to save some $ for now. Once I get the wheels on chances are the stockers wont go back on unless I get rid of the Fit, but I dont see that happening anytime soon!

Old 05-08-2008, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
Good luck with whatever path you choose!!! Check with the shop doing the work to make sure they're familiar with TPMS sensors. The sensors are really easy to break with the tire changing equipment if the tech isn't careful. There's a collegehillshonda video where they put the sensors on a 2007 HPF rim just to see if it would work. The tech busted the sensor getting the tire off the rim when he was loosening the bead. There's a slo mo version of the sensor-busting event at the end of the video just for your viewing pleasure.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah I did see that vid. I am call call discount tire again today to see of the wheel I want is set up for the sensors, it should be since the wheel search function lists the Fit as having the TPMS, plus I got a bit of a deal since I have bought from them a few times in the past. I am sure the local tire shop will love swapping things over when I dont buy the wheel or tires from them!

Old 05-08-2008, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Cool called 2 local tire shops, will run me 100 bucks to mount, balance, and swap the sensors over to the new wheels. Time to place an order!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
Cool called 2 local tire shops, will run me 100 bucks to mount, balance, and swap the sensors over to the new wheels. Time to place an order!
Very cool. Sounds like you made the most cost effective choice.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
And damn I was outbid for a set of used sensors on ebay! Set of 4 sold for $67

Old 05-09-2008, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
That's a great price - a single new one costs that much!!

I saw that auction and wondered about the seller. They seem to offer a lot of used items with potentially shady origins.