Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

My little rant...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Banned
My little rant...

So I got a screw in one of my tires the other night, and I've called every dealership within driving range of where I live and not a single one stocks stock sport tires...

What the **** are they thinking?? So now I've got a donut on my car and my options are prepay for a tire at a dealership and pay the shipping charges for them through them which ends up being more than buying them myself from Tirerack, or buy 4 brand new tires and replace them all.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
wow , must be a big screw if you cant repair it, use a plug or have it patched from the inside, everyone says that patching from the inside is better, but ive run plugs until the tires wore out, no problem.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Get it plugged/patched.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
or just go get yourself a used tire, and call it a day.

40 bucks vs 100ish dollor. ill take the used tire heh

Old 03-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Banned
I used to be a tech, and the screw is in the corner of the tire where it can't be patched...I'd buy a used tire, but I've only got 4k miles on the car so a used tire wouldn't match up quite right. I just ordered a tire from tirerack for $20 less than the dealership wanted

Old 03-29-2008, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yeamans17
I used to be a tech, and the screw is in the corner of the tire where it can't be patched...I'd buy a used tire, but I've only got 4k miles on the car so a used tire wouldn't match up quite right. I just ordered a tire from tirerack for $20 less than the dealership wanted
Sorry to hear about that screw.

If you were over 10,000 miles I'd suggest replacing either a pair or all four tires.

Since you have low miles replacing one from tire rack makes more sense but that stock size of 195/55-15 isn't going to give you many choices except for the stock Passenger All Season tire Dunlop SP31 A/S.

I think you just ordered the same tire as a replacement and will live with it until you replace all four which is fine.

Trouble with any used tire is you won't easily match the Dunlop SP31 even if the size is the same, your used tire is going to be from a different tire class with different tread design.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Becareful driving on the spare. I got a nail in one of my dunlops and drove on it for about 3 days w/ the spare until I could get to the dealer. They had a replacement in stock cost me about $80.00. But from driving on the spare my shock blew? Honda replaced the shock no problem bt still a hassel. And no there are not a lot of options in that tire size when I looked only yokohama and BF goodrich made the same size. And they were hella expensive.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KoolMikeSki
Becareful driving on the spare. I got a nail in one of my dunlops and drove on it for about 3 days w/ the spare until I could get to the dealer. They had a replacement in stock cost me about $80.00. But from driving on the spare my shock blew? Honda replaced the shock no problem bt still a hassel. And no there are not a lot of options in that tire size when I looked only yokohama and BF goodrich made the same size. And they were hella expensive.
Yes, that compact (temporary) spare is for limited use and lower speeds.
Be careful. Also I think you'd want to put the spare on the rear not the front but if you have TPMS that would mess up the dash light.

For 195/55-15 choices are somewhat limited-
see
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...son-tires.html
Look at the choices in Post #6.

If you are replacing all four you have different tire size choices or you can upgrade to a better handling tire class but still keep the All Season benefit.

For those in mild weather areas you can use Summer tires but watch the low temperatures in your area and if you get often under 40 degrees then an All Season might be a better choice since rubber can get hard in the cold.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
That's weird that the dealer doesn't stock them.
When i got a flat in my 05 accord, the dealership placed the stock tire the same day.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by goodyonsen
That's weird that the dealer doesn't stock them.
When i got a flat in my 05 accord, the dealership placed the stock tire the same day.

Thats what I was saying, when I worked at the dealership we'd replace tires same day left and right. But then again we had a huge stock room full of tires. I just bought the one for now, I'll go ahead and rotate tires early so the new tire and original front are on the back and I've got 2 that are for sure the same in front.

I just found a buyer for my slipstreams today too, so theoretically I could upgrade tires, but I didn't find out about that until after I bought the one tire already.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yeamans- i feel your pain. same crap happened to me when i got a
flat on my legacy's factory tire. had less than 10k miles. same issue,
nail near the sidewall, deemed unrepairable. NO ONE including tirerack
had them at the time.

checked with my fellow forum members but no one had em on sale...
ended up getting one different brand tire with the same tire size with
the closest looking tread pattern. not the best idea, but made
sense at the time.

so after a few months i got a new set of wheels with tires.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:02 PM
hmmm...would have been a good time to upgrade.....sounds like you need more tire stores in your area, there is at least 5-10 around here that could have got replacements, why did you even bother with a stealership?

Old 03-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Mr.FIsTer
hmmm...would have been a good time to upgrade.....sounds like you need more tire stores in your area, there is at least 5-10 around here that could have got replacements, why did you even bother with a stealership?

I'm not ready to upgrade quite yet. But when I do it'll be wheels and tires and I'll keep the all seasons for winter. But the reason I am working through a "stealership" is because there is a piece of mind offering...

Say you take a rim to Wal-Mart or any other tire shop and some unknowing tech brakes your tpms when he's removing the tire odds are it'll take them forever to replace it, and you'll have to pay the up front cost.

However you take it to a dealership and they brake it prying off the tire they'll replace it for free. Dealerships have a priority to ensure that your car leaves in better condition than it came in in. This is why I chose a dealership, I've also worked in a dealership as well as independent shops. Dealerships are where its at when it comes to having any vehicle serviced but more specifically a new vehicle.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by KoolMikeSki

Hopefully I'll be okay, I drive 6 miles one way to work, speed limit never breaks 35mph the whole way there. If I do run into any issues though maybe I'll just opt for some aftermarket struts, and upgrade to some new springs too...

BTW I moved the spare to the rear before driving anywhere, I feel much safer having the spare on the rear than in the front any day.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:49 PM
I think now would be the perfect oportunity to have an excuse to spend lots of money if you got it to get some really nice wheels with new tires. lol glad I couldn't help you at all :P

Old 03-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Fitcapo
I think now would be the perfect opportunity to have an excuse to spend lots of money if you got it to get some really nice wheels with new tires. lol glad I couldn't help you at all :P
Exactly what i was thinking. Full size spare FTW!!!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:52 PM
Banned
I would upgrade, but I really enjoy the stock fit wheels, I'd rather drop that money into suspension which is actually what I'll be doing. I hate cars with no drop and wheels

Old 03-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by yeamans17
I would upgrade, but I really enjoy the stock fit wheels, I'd rather drop that money into suspension which is actually what I'll be doing. I hate cars with no drop and wheels
You could buy some really really really expensive paint and like gold leaf for some new tires and wheels. IDK i am just being stupid now. lol.