Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Best aftermarket lugs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:08 AM
SBT
Best aftermarket lugs?

Kics, Rays, Works, T1R?

I'm looking for something strong and lightweight to run with Enkei RPF1 wheels - will all of these fit without any issues?

Are there any I should stay away from for any reason?

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Retired Moderator
Stay away from eBay lug nuts.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
when it comes to lug nutts...they all do the same things. the only things you should look for are weight and finish. although, you need aftermarket lugs for aftermarket wheels....do not use OEM lugs on aftermarket wheels. and do not use afttermarket lugs with OEM wheels.

rays/works are pretty much the same. not too expensive, but not as cheap as some (muteki lugs). red actually looks very pink (i do not recommend), blue probably matches the vivid blue pearl very good. and black....is just black. these are definaly lighter than OEM lugs...by at least half.
i had red on my last car...will never get them again because of the color. and just received some black ones to go with my cr kai wheels....should be installed soon.

T1r are just expensive to me. and there isnt anything special about them, unless you ge the burnt titanium ones....which are rediculously expensive and not worth it except for the bling factor.

kics...they make some good lugs. the "key" is done a little bit different than most and the base of the lug is actually on bearings so that when you torque them down, it doesnt spin the base and scratch the mounting hole. these are a little more expensive than most, but if ou have the money, i would definalty recommend them. a friend of mine had the extended (r-40) neo-chrome ones and they looked great against a blue car.

alos, if you choose to get extended/open ended lugs, after every other car wash, spray some WD-40 in the end of the lug to help fight any rust build up that will lock the lug in place....PITA when you rotate your tires.

Last edited by NIGHTHAWKSI; 02-26-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:15 AM
SBT
Thanks - that's very helpful.

Is standard vs. extended size a purely aesthetic decision? For instance, is it possible that one will fit better or worse on a wheel such as Enkei RPF1?

Thanks again!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
for the majority of people, extended lugs are just for the looks....most people with "baller" lugs nuts get teh extended ones to show them off a little....which is under standable when you pay $200+ for lugs.

but the real reason for the extended/open ended is if you have extened wheel studs. alot of track cars have these in order to have more threds actually threaded into the lug nut. most people dont have extended studs and dont need ot worry abou this.

the wheels your looking at woul dbe fine with either style lug (extended/short/open ended). just for reference, the standard sizes for lugs are 26mm (short), and the extended is 40mm long. with most rims, the extended lug nuts will stick out about 1/4" - 1/2" from the face of the spokes. whereas the regulat lugs will sit mostly flush with the front of the spokes.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 PM
SBT
great - thanks!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Way can you not install afermarket lugs on oem wheels? I hear this everywhere but I never see any reasoning. Would this also include HFP wheels as well?

Old 02-26-2008, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
^aftermarket lugs have a straight angle at the seat, and aftermarket wheels have a straight angle for the lugs to fit into.

OEM lugs have an acorn (rounded) shape at the seat...to match up with the rounded surface on the rim.

the first post in this thread explains it a little more in depth
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-included.html

Old 02-26-2008, 03:58 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
dont forget to get forged lugnuts!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
when it comes to lug nutts...they all do the same things. the only things you should look for are weight and finish. although, you need aftermarket lugs for aftermarket wheels....do not use OEM lugs on aftermarket wheels. and do not use afttermarket lugs with OEM wheels.

rays/works are pretty much the same. not too expensive, but not as cheap as some (muteki lugs). red actually looks very pink (i do not recommend), blue probably matches the vivid blue pearl very good. and black....is just black. these are definaly lighter than OEM lugs...by at least half.
i had red on my last car...will never get them again because of the color. and just received some black ones to go with my cr kai wheels....should be installed soon.

T1r are just expensive to me. and there isnt anything special about them, unless you ge the burnt titanium ones....which are rediculously expensive and not worth it except for the bling factor.

kics...they make some good lugs. the "key" is done a little bit different than most and the base of the lug is actually on bearings so that when you torque them down, it doesnt spin the base and scratch the mounting hole. these are a little more expensive than most, but if ou have the money, i would definalty recommend them. a friend of mine had the extended (r-40) neo-chrome ones and they looked great against a blue car.

alos, if you choose to get extended/open ended lugs, after every other car wash, spray some WD-40 in the end of the lug to help fight any rust build up that will lock the lug in place....PITA when you rotate your tires.
Which T1R lug nuts are you referring to? The new forged aluminum ones I think are quite reasonable as a set will only set you back $80 as compared to Rays/Work ones that go for $100-$120 for a set.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
^ im refering to the $600 titanium ones, lol
A&J Racing :: Wheels & Tires :: T1R Titanium Wheel nuts M12x1.25

and your right...i forgot about the other t1r lugs. with my last car i needed 20...now only 16, so guess that would drop the price ~$20 making them cheaper than rays.

Last edited by NIGHTHAWKSI; 02-26-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Retired Moderator
lol yeah the titanium ones are baller. Those are a little much. But I think the forged aluminum ones are a great option (I have them )

Old 02-26-2008, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
After talking to a distributor of RAYS Wheels, my knowledge is that there are only 3 different set of keys for the rays lugs, so if safety is of concern to you, or you live in an area where theft is high, you might want to look elsewhere. That was what I was told about only having 3 different keys when I bought my volk wheels, and was contemplating on rays lugs or not. But they sure are really light.

Last edited by avitar110; 02-26-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:05 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by avitar110
After talking to a distributor of RAYS Wheels, my knowledge is that there are only 3 different set of keys for the rays lugs, so if safety is of concern to you, or you live in an area where theft is high, you might want to look elsewhere. That was what they told me when I bought my volk wheels, and was contemplating on rays lugs or not. But they sure are really light.
If someone wants your wheels they will get taken. It is so easy to remove wheel locks without a key.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Of course they will if they want it bad enough. Its justs more about delaying the process or making it a little bit harder and more time consuming for them, which increases their exposure. Plus they encounter the risk of straching the wheels if they happen to care what condition the wheels are in. Your right, they can still steal them with wheel locks, but you might be able to deter them otherwise...........

Last edited by avitar110; 02-26-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
IMO, Kics are the best lugs you can get. Rotating base and theyre sexy.
I bought my Neo's a few days ago, they arent extended R40's like I wanted.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:30 PM
neo chros! haha

Old 02-26-2008, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
just get a set of gorilla lugs. nothing wrong with them, and tehy are very in-expensive.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
Stay away from eBay lug nuts.
why do you say this?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
why do you say this?
I've heard stories of them loosening up and falling off Also depends on what type you buy, I'm talking about the generic cheap no name lug nuts on there...some vendors on eBay do sell Kics, Rays, Work, etc.

Quick Reply: Best aftermarket lugs?