Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

195/50 or 205/50 R15

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
TreadLightly, (or anybody) how much do the stock Sport wheels weigh? I'm planning - or at least hoping - to autoX mine as well, probably sticking to the OEM wheels for the autoX tires and something else for the street. Not much out there that would be legal in HStock, at least that I've found yet. Tirerack.com had a couple different wheels that were 15.5+/- pounds for like $85/ea. that I was looking at, but these are cleaner looking.

fitless

Old 10-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Amazingly, there is a lot of misinformation (disagreement?) on this board about how much the stock Fit Sport wheels really weigh. I started this thread recently to try to get to the truth, but it didn't work:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...t=sport+wheels

The best anyone could do was ~18 pounds on a bathroom scale, which are notoriously inaccurate. I've also heard 15.8 pounds, 17-point-something pounds, etc., etc. As soon as I get a chance, I will weigh one of my own and set the record straight.

Fitless: I'm planning to do like you and run the stock Fit Sport wheels for autocross. I'm not happy about it, because I'd like something lighter. But I've searched high and low and there don't seem to be any other choices unless you go custom-made and spend $400/wheel, and that's not in my budget. That is, if you want to stick to the rules -- which I do, because I want to win events, not get disqualified.

I like the Enkei GF1's, but I ended up finding a set of used Enkei RS5's locally for only $120 in 16x7 +40mm offset. I weighed them myself at 17 pounds. These will be my street wheels:

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MWEISE%7E1.SAC/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MWEISE%7E1.SAC/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img]

Old 10-18-2007, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Skimmer,
Those look great... wide open, and the look lighter than they apparently are. Nice and easy to clean, too.

If 55mm offset wheels were easier to come by, I wonder how much tire you could stuff on to a Fit? I'd really like to run 225/50's on some 15" wheels, but I seriously doubt I could pull that off without the full 55mm offset. I know you CAN squeeze that tire on to a 6" wheel (I bought a set of wheels for my Daytona with that tire on there, but a 7" wheel would be so much better.

Fitless (for the moment)

Old 10-19-2007, 01:13 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. I haven't fully checked it out yet, but I think the limiting factor will be clearance between the inside of the rear tire and the rear shock. If you look at the stock clearance, it's very small. So we might be in trouble with a 225 race tire.

If you look at the tire specs on tirerack.com, a 205/50/15 Kumho V710 autocross tire has a .5 inch wider section width than the stock 195/55/15 Dunlop SP31 A/S tires that come on the Fit Sport:

Kumho:
Tire Specs for Kumho Ecsta V710
Dunlop:
Tire Specs for Dunlop SP31 A/S

If you cut that in half for a tire that is .25" wider on each half of the wheel, I think you'll just be able to fit the 205 Kumhos. If you go up a size to the 225 Kumhos, they are another .9 inches wider!!!

Stock class rules do allow +/-.25" additional wheel offset, or about 6mm (which still doesn't get you any aftermarket wheel options that I've found -- not too much out there in 49mm offset! ) . If you were to do that with a wheel spacer behind the stock rims -- which is legal as far as I know -- it might get you the clearance to run 225s. But I think that's pretty iffy!

BTW, why are you "fitless"?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Well, it looks like you're bumping up against the same walls I'm finding, at least with respect to the H Stock rules... probably gonna be totally stock wheels which will be a disadvantage to any other car that doesn't have this kind of wacky offset. That said, maybe a set of 48mm offset wheels would be OK after a trip to the machine shop to trim another 1mm off...

I REALLYREALLY want to make 225/50-15's fit for daily driver duty, and then have some V710's or Hoosiers in a 205/50-15's for race day. So far, I haven't seen anyone running close to a 225 section width...

I'm "fitless" because I don't own a Fit - at the moment. I joined the board to research before I bought, and now it looks like the Fit is IT. Hopefully I'll have a name change in order in a little over 14 hours...

fitless

Old 10-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Cool. Well, let us know when you get your Fit! I think 225/50/15s will be doable if you get the right offset. What that is, I dunno. You should also compare the specs of different tire brands on tirerack.com, because different brands in the same size often have slight variations in width, which might make the difference in fitting a tire that wide.

I'd be careful in getting carried away with machining down a wheel just to run something lighter. You risk weakening the wheel for a questionable benefit of saving a couple pounds. You might be better off running a .25" wheel spacer with the stock wheels, which gives you the benefit of a slightly wider track (if it's legal -- I'm still trying to figure that out).

BTW, I double-checked the rear shock spacing and I can just fit my middle finger between the stock tire and the shock, which is about .5" of room. That should be plenty of room to run a 205 Kumho autocross tire, but not the 225 without a spacer!

Anyway, it's good to see somebody else serious about autocrossing the Fit. I'm hoping it will be a sleeper in H Stock!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Picked up the 08 Blackberry Pearl Sport on Saturday, then drove it 300 miles to Lubbock on Sunday... ran like a top, which is what I expected. Now to start measuring and tinkering.

No worries on machining the wheels, I wouldn't be looking to save weight that way, just losing a tiny amount on the mounting pad to get the offset where it needs to be. Hopefully that would stay around 1mm or so, but not more than 2-3 tops. If the wheels have steel inserts for the lugs, they need to be held in by something, and breaking a wheel on the autoX would be embarassing...

Based on your experience, a 225 may not be viable on a stock wheel, and certainly not on anything wider at the stock offset. With a short, stiff sidewall, you can probably get away with as little as 1/4" clearance, but much less than that would probably rub with autoX cornering forces. It's going to take some finesse to sneak much tire on the car legally. I'd like to find that it was competitive with a wide range of cars, but there are so many others that can fit so much more rubber under the fenders it's going to be tough. HS is a weak class where I race, so at least there's a chance of doing well since there isn't much competition. Crappy way to win, but a trophy is a trophy...

NOT fitless any more...

Old 10-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Congrats! Is blackberry pearl a new color in '08? I haven't seen that one before.

You're right, the Fit may be out-tired by some in our HS competition. But one thing you can count on: if we start winning, it will be a result of driver skill!

Just FYI: in my research so far, the only aftermarket shocks I've been able to find are made by Spoon/SHOWA and imported by a-j racing in Canada (a prominent vendor on this site). Replacement struts are one of the few mods allowed in Stock class, so these are key. A set of four runs $700. I will be ordering up a set, probably after the first of the year, unless Koni comes along with something before then!

Also, the factory repair manual allows use of special "crash bolts" in the front struts to adjust camber, which makes these legal in Stock class for obtaining more negative camber up front. There is a factory part number for these bolts.

I'll be curious to see what you decide about a front swaybar. This is one of the few other mods allowed, but I'm not sure a bigger front bar will help us much (may just cause more understeer!)

Old 10-25-2007, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, it's new for 08, and pleasantly purple I must say. I'm a little worried about having a dark colored car again, it's going to show EVERYTHING...

GOOD shocks for $700 is a good deal. I guess I need to poke around on their web site and see what that will get me. I'd sure like them to be adjustable, but I'm not holding my breath. AFAIK, Koni has squat for the Fit, but if enough folks start asking...

Good deal on the crash bolts, too. I don't have a FSM yet, but will be getting one soon. Any idea what the stock alignment specs are? It felt like it could use a bit more +caster too, after spending 10 hours behind the wheel this week. Do the rears adjust at all? My old Daytona and Shelby Charger could adjust with shims under the axle stubs, which was nice.

No plans for a sway bar yet, as I have no feel for what the car will really do when pushed. I bet sticky tires and some -camber will do wonders for an already grippy-feeling little car.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:21 PM
I can get you the alignment specs from the factory repair manual if you want. If I recall correctly, it calls for -2 rear camber, 0 front camber and 0 toe. I don't remember the caster settings, and I don't remember if rear camber is adjustable.

One other thing the Stock rules allow is a rollbar, which would probably add quite a bit of stiffness. I'd love to put one in my Fit, but I don't think that would go over too well with the wife -- or the dogs!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Ditto on the roll bar - I bet that would add 2% more weight to the car, and it would all be up pretty high, so I doubt there would be any real benefit to a true stock-class car. With stock springs, I don't think you'd notice a real improvement. The Fit feels pretty rigid to me so far - much more so than my Daytona.

Hmmm... I bet if you could get -2 front camber and a few degrees of +caster, a Fit would feel like it was on rails even with 205/50's. Looks like virtually any DOT tire is fine for H Stock, so a near-slick ought to do the trick. Fold all the seats down to drop the weight as low as you can, and tear 'em up!