Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

gramlights 57maximums....worth it performance-wise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:41 PM
gramlights 57maximums....worth it performance-wise?

Im becoming interested in the gramlights 57maximums, but the 16x7 weigh in at 15lbs. a piece. My question is this, the stock rims weigh around 15 to 17.5lbs. a piece according to a few people in these forums (wish someone knew ACTUAL weight). I want lighter than stock rims but dont wanna possibly waste my money if they weigh the exact same (15lbs), i want light 16in. wheels and the gramlights have the look i want but possibly not the performance im looking for. Does anyone here own any gramlights or know anything about them in terms of performance?

Old 08-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Banned
Sport Compact Car this month, the "Drift vs. Grip" issue has an interesting article on wheels. It is a good read..if you don't get the mag, maybe it is on their website.

The article is called "Everyone should have cast wheels".

The mention for a street car, "Are you really going to feel a three pound difference in each wheel as you avoid speed bumps in the parking structure?"

They later say, "The reality is preofessional race teams use forged wheels because the added cost is worth the insurance for a lightweight wheel that, if bent, will still hold tire pressure and get them to the finish line, instad of cracking like a cast wheel might. But if you hit something on the street hard enough to crack a cast wheel and de-bead a tire, chances are you've got bigger problems that just your wheels."

To me, I could care less about the weight as the Fit is never going to win me any championships. I chose Work CR Kai's because I like the JDM factor and the look. However, my mind pondered a variety of Konig's because of their light weight and affordability. Like the article said, you probably won't feel a mad difference unless your Fit is a track car instead of a family hauler.

Good luck in your decision but for me, my next set will be what I like, looks, color, etc. Not which lightens the scales!

Kris

Old 08-01-2007, 04:01 PM
i understand that looks, style, and color matter but shaving off a little weight here and there certainly wont hurt the performance of the car either but rather help it considering this is a weight reduction at the wheels. ive heard reducing wheel weight helps handling, braking, and acceleration, maybe not to a huge degree but considering lightweight wheels is just one of the multiple things i have in mind for this car, it will certainly help in the future. actually, from what i hear from these very forums is that the honda fit responds really well to weight drops of almost any kind.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Banned
I don't think taking away weight is a bad idea. Just for the informational purpose, I posted what I did because I thought it was interesting. I have an AT Sport with a Skunk2 cat back and a T1R intake. The wheels/tires are 15 X 7 Work CR Kai's, Work Duraluminum lugs, and Falken Azeni's RT615's. I can't honestly tell you that I don't feel a tire screeching difference from any of those modifcations. I feel "something" but nothing to write home about. The Gram Lights are reasonably priced and a RAYS produced wheel so it is a nice purchase. But I could never see paying $2K for wheels because I save a pound at each corner on a Fit.

Get the wheels...They rock. If you have a MT, then get a lightened flywheel and clutch combo and then set up the suspension. That is the best you can get. My suspension to me, isn't great as I would LOVE coilovers, but my guys don't have them out yet...But I have Tanabe front and rear strut bars, Tanabe underbrace, and Skunk2 springs and I can honestly say, whether it is the "thought" of having some pieces on board or the actual part affecting the dynamics, the car feels great and I am confident, even looking for off-ramps to chase.

To me, that is what the Fit is about. I came from a 500whp SRT-4, a 350AWHP Evo 9, then to a Fit. I will never be satisfied with the power, but the handling...Sure is nice!

Good luck in what you decide. I was just making conversation in general about unsprung weight and cost in the previous post.

Kris

Old 08-01-2007, 07:52 PM
thats really why i wanna know the "official" weight of the stock wheels, ive heard anywhere from 15 to now 18lbs., thats really whats keeping me from getting the gramlights at the moment.. i mean true enough, saving only a pound dosent warrant spending $1200 (would NEVER spend $2k on rims unless they were rock solid and weighed 4lbs. a piece at 16 inches and that aint happenin) but saving 3 or more pounds AND getting the style i want, yeah id be on board for that. i dont want to get rims that are heavier or of the same weight of the stock rims, if im gonna spend over a grand for something on my car i want it to look good and get a "little" something (even if it is very little) extra out of it. i really want spoon rims but those are hard and becoming almost impossible to come by. thanks for all the info though.