Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

TIRE questions,sizes, mounting,pressures ANY tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
where can i buy center caps for my wheels? i have 15x7 konig networks.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Ok, so im getting 15x7 +38 offset. I am wanting to know if ill have issues running 205/50-15 tires. Also i have Skunk2 springs.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Former Vendor
Those sizes wheels and tires should be fine. With the car lowered you might have to run a little more negative camber depending on the specific tires.
If I can help with the tires let me know.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Well let me ask you, what would be the best tire size to run with the wheels im getting and having the Skunk2's? I want to get as much "meat" on the tire as i can with very minimal rubbing and i really wanna stay away from having to play with my camber.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Former Vendor
With the car lowered the 205/50R15 would be the best.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
I apologize if this question has already been answered somewhere here before, and im sure it has, but 40 pages is alot to read lol. Ive read the reviews on how crappy and small the OEM tires are. Im picking up my 09 sport next week and tires is probably the first thing I will change. Would you recommend going 205/45/16 all around? Would it still be comfortable and be stable at highway speeds? How will it affect gas mileage? Im actually looking into the Hankooks R-S2.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Former Vendor
The 205/45R16 would be a good size for the car. The car will be more stable but the ride quality is going to be a little stiffer. If you are worried about the ride quality I don't know if I would go to the 16" package.
If I can help let me know.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Eh ride qualitys not that much of an issue. Im coming from an S2000 so anything will be more comfortable than that. Plus my sport comes stock with 16"s. You think the R-S2's are a good choice tire for this car?

Last edited by qbmurderer13; 10-20-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Wider tires almost always increase your rolling resistance, so your tire change will probably cause your MPG to go down. The tires themselves can also affect your fuel efficiency, I once replace the stock tires on another car with the same size, different brand. My MPG got worse by almost 10% from that day forward, and the tires did not wear out during the rest of the time that I owned that car. Good information about rolling resistance from tire manufacturers and retailers is very rare, so you're left to figure it out by trial and error.

Good luck,
Eric

Old 10-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Former Vendor
They are a very good handling tire. If you are looking for longer wear there are better tires.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Former Vendor
Tire rolling resistance is defined as the force required to maintain the forward movement of a loaded pneumatic tire in a straight line at a constant speed. And just like the laws of physics and forces of nature, it is an obstacle every vehicle has to overcome to transport passengers and cargo to their destinations.

Tire rolling resistance is caused by the natural viscoelastic properties of rubber along with the tire’s internal components constantly bending, stretching and recovering as they cycle between their loaded (where the tread footprint flattens against the road) and unloaded states. The final contributor to tire rolling resistance is the tread’s interaction with the road.
The tread area represents a new tire’s single largest and heaviest region and is the greatest contributor to tire rolling resistance. The tread and its underlying plies typically account for about 2/3 of a new tire’s rolling resistance, while the sidewall and bead area represent the remaining 1/3.

Larger tires require more rubber and longer reinforcing cords than smaller tires. Therefore within a single tire model line, there is typically a relationship between tire size, weight and the resulting rolling resistance force where larger tires have more rolling resistance than smaller tires.

The most common laboratory test measures the force required to rotate a tire at 50 mph against a large diameter steel drum. Multiple samples of each tire size/model are tested to establish an average rolling resistance value. And since tire rolling resistance typically declines moderately as tire temperatures rise from cold to normal operating conditions during the first 30 minutes of driving every time the vehicle is used, values are recorded in the laboratory after operating temperatures and rolling resistance values stabilize.

Tire Rolling Resistance Force is measured in pounds or kilograms of resistance. Comparing Rolling Resistance Force provides a direct way to compare tires of the same size, as well as offers an accurate means of comparing differently sized tires to one another.

Tire Rolling Resistance Coefficient is calculated by dividing the measured rolling resistance force by the tire size’s prescribed load during the test. Comparing Rolling Resistance Coefficients only allows comparing tires within a single size. Tire Rolling Resistance Coefficient does not allow comparing different sized tires.

As noted earlier, larger tires generate higher Rolling Resistance Forces than smaller tires. However the larger tire’s greater overall diameter, circumference and rolling radius allows its tread area to bend, stretch and recover more easily as it cycles in and out of contact with the road. Larger diameter tires also revolve fewer times per mile and cycle at a slower rate than shorter tires for any given speed. While this essentially reduces Rolling Resistance Coefficient (larger tires will often have a lower Rolling Resistance Coefficient than smaller tires), it still does not change the fact that a larger tire actually generates more Rolling Resistance Force that the vehicle’s engine has to overcome.

Unfortunately comparing tire Rolling Resistance Coefficients is somewhat like comparing the fuel efficiency of an 8 passenger, 15 mpg sport utility vehicle to a 4 passenger, 30 mpg car based on miles per gallon per passenger when fully occupied. While both vehicles offer the same miles per gallon per passenger fuel efficiency when fully occupied, the sport utility vehicle will always use more fuel than the car (as well as more fuel per passenger anytime the sport utility vehicle is driven below its maximum passenger capacity).

Regardless of their calculated Rolling Resistance Coefficients, a large tire generating 30 pounds of Rolling Resistance Force will require more energy to roll than a small tire generating 15 pounds of Rolling Resistance Force.

Tire rolling resistance has an impact on vehicle fuel consumption estimated to range from about 4% during urban driving to 7% during highway driving. The engine and driveline is estimated to consume 80% of the fuel, while the remainder is used to overcome inertia, wind resistance, converted into heat by the brakes or consumed when the vehicle is idling. The automotive industry estimates a 10% reduction in tire rolling resistance will result in a one to two percent improvement in vehicle fuel economy. While that might not seem like a lot, it can reduce fuel consumption by a couple of tanks per year and make the purchase of lower rolling resistance tires a better value over their lifetime.

Rolling Resistance Changes to Expect When Switching from Worn Out to New Tires

Tire rolling resistance typically diminishes by about 20% throughout the life of a tire as the tread wears from full depth to worn out. This can be attributed to the reduction in tread mass and rubber squirm, as well as subtle hardening of the tread compound during years of service and exposure to the elements.

While this gradual reduction in tire rolling resistance and minor increase in fuel economy may be too subtle to register during the tire’s life on a month-to-month basis, the switch from well worn tires to new tires (even if they are the same brand, type and size) will result in an increase in rolling resistance of about 20% and the driver should expect to experience a potential 2% to 4% decrease in fuel economy.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by jim@tirerack
They are a very good handling tire. If you are looking for longer wear there are better tires.
What would you recommend? I dont need a tire with amazing grip since its not for competition just spirited driving here and there. Looking for the best compromise between comfort, tread wear and performance.

I bought my Dunlop star specs from you for my S2k. Just broke them in when I totalled it

Old 10-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Former Vendor
I would look at the Bridgestone RE760 or the Yokohama S Drive. The RE760 is going to give you the best tread life and the best ride quality.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
^hey Jim,

I'm currently running 205/50/15 Azenis and was wondering what you carried in a 195/50/15 size (or somethig close) that would be comparable to the performance of my Azenis?

I would love to run some Neova's but the 15's aren't D.O.T. approved and so they're pretty hard to come by.

Last edited by JamesBizzle; 10-21-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Former Vendor
In the 195/45R15 the only tire I have is a Michelin Exalto PE2. I would say you would be better with the 205/50R15. Take a look at the new Kumho Ecsta XS. They are an extreme performance tire that is a step up from the MX which was also a good tire.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jim@tirerack
In the 195/45R15 the only tire I have is a Michelin Exalto PE2. I would say you would be better with the 205/50R15. Take a look at the new Kumho Ecsta XS. They are an extreme performance tire that is a step up from the MX which was also a good tire.
ehh, alright. the only reaons I ask is cause 205's look kinda huge on my 15's. Thanks thougth.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:24 PM
my names barack obama and I approve of this message.

I wanna get sum new soles for my shoes, especially since it rains in Florida i only need ones that are good on wet and dry...season...so heres my choices, i would just like to know if anyone has any bad experience or heard from someone who knew someone etc... on these tires.

Falken Azenis
Nitto Neo Gen
Nitto Invo
(Dunlop) Direzza Sport Z1
(Dunlop) Direzza DZ101
(Yokohama Advan) A048
(Yokohama Advan) Neova

The yokohama's and azenis look close to slicks...it says all weather but still if u heard anything about these tires just let me know 1).how they handle in rain. 2). Treadwear 3).And a rating for 1-10 with 10 being the best.
thanks.. oh yeah and i use it daily..

Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by if the shoe FITs...
I wanna get sum new soles for my shoes...so heres my choices.

Falken Azenis
Nitto Neo Gen
Nitto Invo
(Dunlop) Direzza Sport Z1
(Dunlop) Direzza DZ101
(Yokohama Advan) A048
(Yokohama Advan) Neova
Azenis
Don't get Azenis. I love them in the hot, dry summer. But from my personal experience, they honestly suck in th rain. I'm on my 4th set (since I got my car) and it's the same story for each set. tread wear is pretty decent (10k-15k) as long as you don't drive like you're at an AutoX event everyday. I'd rate them a 8.5/10 for dry traction.

Neova
From the looks of the Neova's (best summer tire IMHO), they'll suck in the rain too. I've driven on these before but never in the rain, nor in the Fit. Tread life should be more or less the same as the Azenis, if not, a little less. I'd rate these a 9.5/10 for dry traction as well.

what size tires are you planning to run?

Last edited by JamesBizzle; 10-22-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:32 PM
my names barack obama and I approve of this message.

Originally Posted by JamesBizzle
Azenis
Don't get Azenis. I love them in the hot, dry summer. But from my personal experience, they honestly suck in th rain. I'm on my 4th set (since I got my car) and it's the same story for each set. tread wear is pretty decent (10k-15k) as long as you don't drive like you're at an AutoX event everyday. I'd rate them a 8.5/10 for dry traction.

Neova
From the looks of the Neova's (best summer tire IMHO), they'll suck in the rain too. I've driven on these before but never in the rain, nor in the Fit. Tread life should be more or less the same as the Azenis, if not, a little less. I'd rate these a 9.5/10 for dry traction as well.

what size tires are you planning to run?
15x 6.5 sized rims...i just got it dropped today thats why i didnt respond yesterday...so i have a 2.0 drop in the front and 1.8 in the rear...theres a 1 inch gap and its still on stock dunlop tires which are 205's when i turn hard and fast i hear rubbing but i do not know if its from the lip or the tire n the underfender...if it is the underfender then 195's will be my choice.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Im looking at some Ce28N replicas that are 15/6.5 with a 40mm offset. what would be the best tire size to get without rubbing.

Quick Reply: TIRE questions,sizes, mounting,pressures ANY tire questions