Supercharged Fit??? (COMPUTER FAN)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Supercharged Fit??? (COMPUTER FAN)

Hey, the title is just trying to get ppl to read this. I know this may be teh STUPIDEST question ever, but here it goes.

More Air = more fuel = more power right??

that's the main principle of a supercharger and turbo right? shove more air into the combustion chamber and therefore, you need more fuel to ignite the mixture. More air + more fuel = bigger boom!!! Now, how do you shove air into an engine?? supercharge it or turbo charge it right?? NOW... here comes the stupid question. What if you invented a fan that could theoredically "shove" air into the combustion chamber?? wouldnt' that in theory mean that you need more fuel??? Here's a site that did just that. (I'm sure lots of ppl have seen or heard of this) e-RAM Electric Supercharger, from e-Racing Motorsorts In theory it would work, but does it actually?? has anyone used one or seen one?? personally, i've strapped on, in series, 5 computer CPU fans just to see how much air is being pushed through. the results wer surprising. it push QUITE a bit of air through. Like i said before, this is probably the stupidest question ever, but hey, in theory, it would work. RIGHT?????

here's some pic of the set up i've got. It's pretty crappy becasue i spent about 5 min. on it so yeah. I'm just REALLY bored so i figure i'd just make one and see how it performs. anyway, enough babbleing here it is:

PS: I hope you guys know that this is a joke

Last edited by Fit of RAGE; 01-19-2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Post pics
Old 01-13-2007, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
or you could also redirect your a/c into your intake piping, to give it that cooler denser air...

Old 01-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 07TaffetaFit
or you could also redirect your a/c into your intake piping, to give it that cooler denser air...
yeah, that sounds a lot harder but i'm sure it will do better than the "electric supercharger"

Old 01-13-2007, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
wow, this is interesting. i wanna know the answer to this too.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
now that i think about it, If my CPU fan are spinning at a set speed, it may be fine at idle. BUT when im at WOT, i wonder if the fan are no longer increasing HP but instead decreasing HP becasue it can't keep up with the air flow. Or am i thinking way too much into this??

Old 01-14-2007, 12:55 AM
see heres the think with alot of elecetric superchargers...even tho they spin fast they cant spin fast enough to keep the air flow going faster than then the engine is bringing it in...therefore making them useless and actually having an adverse effect, by blocking the path

Old 01-14-2007, 01:01 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aveosam
see heres the think with alot of elecetric superchargers...even tho they spin fast they cant spin fast enough to keep the air flow going faster than then the engine is bringing it in...therefore making them useless and actually having an adverse effect, by blocking the path

Yeah, i was thinking about that. (as i stated before) The fan would have to spin rediculously fast. (sorry i cant spell)

I have emailed teh company that make the Electric Supercharger to seewhat they think of our theorys of the efficiency of the Electic Supercharger at WOT

Last edited by Fit of RAGE; 01-14-2007 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:13 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Turbos and Superchargers spin at 10s of thousands or RPMs. Bit hard to match with a fan.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:43 AM
I bought a manual from esupercharger or something, with a switch which will power the fan at WOT. Somehow i think i got conned.

Try this

Watt-Age Super 400 Cobalt Motor (27T) - 131480

or Watt-Age PowerFan 400/6 EDF Unit w/400F Motor - 131401

19500 rpm.... Looks not bad. Have a try. Good luck
Hope it helps.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Your fan does not flow enough CFM to even begin to supply enough air just to run the engine never mind any gain.
Yeah, that's what i was thinking too. The more i thinkabout it, the more it doesnt' make sense.

Originally Posted by xephonx
I bought a manual from esupercharger or something, with a switch which will power the fan at WOT. Somehow i think i got conned.

Try this

Watt-Age Super 400 Cobalt Motor (27T) - 131480

or Watt-Age PowerFan 400/6 EDF Unit w/400F Motor - 131401

19500 rpm.... Looks not bad. Have a try. Good luck
Hope it helps.

So did you end up trying this?

Old 01-14-2007, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Honda is busying with a supercharger of it's own design-

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...v25/ai_7452057
Quote:
Among the innovative features Honda proposes for its self-supercharged 4-stroke engine designs are:

* A large intake manifold chamber, called a "pressure air reservoir," dampens pressure pulses before passing air through the intake valves and into the combustion chamber.

* Two proposals for eliminating crankcase lubricating oil from the induction air. In one, the intake port could be designed so that induction air is forced into a spiral motion with a centrifugal separation action. The oil would be recycled for lubrication of the lower end of the engine. A second approach employs a similar centrifugal separating action in the pressure air reservoir, in this case designed with a cylindrical shape and a slightly smaller, perforated inner wall.

* A variable-displacement pressure air reservoir that reduces filling efficiency when an engine brake is applied.

* A dry sump arrangement to save packaging space.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:31 PM
oh and another thing to actually get an electric fan to spin fast enough to make any power you have to fill your trunk with batteries so then you are jsut adding weight that nullifies any gain

Old 01-15-2007, 12:03 AM
first of all, routing your ac piping into the intake is not an efficient way to make power. The amount of power required to run the compressor will be more than the power gained from lower intake temperatures.

secondly, those fans will never provide the air flow to provide adequte supercharging.

Why don't you go out and buy a gasoline lawn blower and hook it directly to the intake?

Old 01-15-2007, 02:37 AM
or wait til you can actually afford something that will be worth while lol

Old 01-15-2007, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
ok, this was discussed for a long time, not sure about this forum though.

the thing is you need to spend power to compress the air. significant power. if it is turbine attached compressor it is exhaust gasses that doing the work, if it is a supercharger - the power is robbed from the crankshaft. in case of electric compressor the power is coming from electric generator ( i'm sure you know that the more power you draw the more force required from the engine to raotate the alternator).
i know of at least one "electric supercharger" commercial product that was released. priced at couple hundred dollars it was marketed as budget forced induction device. needless to say it was worthless, and the people who got it, hmm how should i put it?... lets say uninformed... and that to say the least.

same goes to the idea to redirect air from the A/C (although i have afeeing that it was very sarcastic comment... ) you will gain HP because of the cooler charge but you will spend even more power since engine now needs to ovewrcome the A/C compressor. you gain less then you loose

Old 01-15-2007, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
now to you particular design. having 3 fans (or even if you put 10 of them) one after each other is uselles. i mean you not going to get better flow since they all rated for the same CFM . (yeah, there are bunch of "fans" one after eachother in the compressor of turbojet engine but if you notice as you go down the pass the air passage becomes narrower, compressor fins smaller and denser as the pressure rises .)

also in our automotive case your fans are actually going to become restriction as they will not be able to keep up with existing the air flow.

Last edited by Tankist; 01-15-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 07TaffetaFit
In theory...

DAMM THATS A GOOD ONE!!!!! you just made my day!!!!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
With a reasonably efficient compressor (turbo or super) you need to spend about 1 hp to make a 3 or 4 hp gain. In other words, to make an extra 100 hp you will need to spend about 25 hp to compress the air.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by claymore
Your fan does not flow enough CFM to even begin to supply enough air just to run the engine never mind any gain.
QFT!

watch the electric fan/blower get sucked in at high rpms.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
OMFG This is dumb...reading it made me literally fall out of my chair.
I honestly can't believe people still buy into the "ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER" scams...when it's so friggin obvious that it's a piece of crap.

Quick Reply: Supercharged Fit??? (COMPUTER FAN)