General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

when is a good mileage to switch to synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 10:05 PM
when is a good mileage to switch to synthetic?

I picked up my 07 milano red manual sport about three weeks ago and i have 956 miles on it. I did the break in like the manual says and have continued to baby it until i switch to mobil 1. I do a lot of short trips so mobile 1 goes in everyone of my cars. I have heard many different opinions on changing the oil for the first time so i would like to hear from some people before i decide. I havent owned a honda before so i dont want to switch over to early. Let me know what you all think.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:42 AM
there is no mileage you should wait, i don't know what idiot started that rumor...but that's all it is, a rumor. same thing with the people that use dino oil to break in engines... synthetic is VERY VERY similar to regular oil...and it does NOT affect engine break in. An engine is FULL broken in with in the first 5 min of it running. Ask any NASCAR team, and drag team, and any SAE tech....

every engine that comes out of RLZ is cranked/broke in/and runs on VR1...and look what they've done

Old 09-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Banned
Amsoil was the first manufacturer of synthetic lubricants for cars. Their advice is, change to synthetic at any time, the sooner the better. No "minimum" mileage required.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Honda's opinion?

What does Honda have to say about this? Anyone know?

Old 09-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow
there is no mileage you should wait, i don't know what idiot started that rumor...but that's all it is, a rumor. same thing with the people that use dino oil to break in engines... synthetic is VERY VERY similar to regular oil...and it does NOT affect engine break in. An engine is FULL broken in with in the first 5 min of it running. Ask any NASCAR team, and drag team, and any SAE tech....

every engine that comes out of RLZ is cranked/broke in/and runs on VR1...and look what they've done
Just a tidbit of info here, my dealer told me very seriously if I swap the oil out of my Fit before the first scheduled oil change I will totally void my warrenty. He said the oil in the engine when you first get it is full of special detergents and additives that need to be run for a certain amount of time to help break the new engine in. I plan to switch to synthetic as my first scheduled oil change.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Just a tidbit of info here, my dealer told me very seriously if I swap the oil out of my Fit before the first scheduled oil change I will totally void my warrenty. He said the oil in the engine when you first get it is full of special detergents and additives that need to be run for a certain amount of time to help break the new engine in. I plan to switch to synthetic as my first scheduled oil change.
They told me the crap too. I did a hard break in, I went to the dealer to get my oil changed around 80miles. You know, to get all that junk out.
They told me the same stuff. Ive been running synthetic for a while now.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
lol, nice No way they can give you a hard time if they did the oil change!
I didn't know the Fit needed a hard break in, I know on some of the older Honda's you needed to do it so that the rings seat correctly or you will end up with an oil burning engine (or so I have been told anyway). I am pretty sure if it does need a hard break in I accomplished that anway Love that redline!!

Old 09-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
It doesnt need a hard break in. Just thought Id try it out. Hahaa!
Recently, I barely take the car past 3000rpms. Unless I need to pass a grandma on a bicycle. Then I go to redline.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow

I think the original meaning behind waiting to use synthetic wasn't because of the engine break-in period. But it was because its cheaper to break-in an engine using regular oil because of the recommended oil changes ... ie 50, 100, 500, 1000 miles. The idea of using regular oil to break-in is because it is different than synthetic, meaning is lubrication properties are not as good and is why we pay for synthetic oil. If it was as SO similar, I should just use regular oil.

For those of us who have seen a rebuilt engine being broken in and the oil change that ensues its break-in period has seen the little metal shavings in the oil. The idea of using regular oil is not only because its cheaper but because it doesn't lubricate as well as synthetic. So with less lubrication and more friction, the idea is that the rings will seat properly instead of "gliding" past with all the synthetic goodness.

The question for me is do OEM manufacturers use the crosshatch on the cylinder walls to seat the rings from the factory and are engines broken-in from the factory? if the engines are broken in from the factory, I would bet theres really not much to worry about and to just wait until its time to change your oil before switching.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm attacking your claim. But after reading so many articles ... I just had to say something.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:43 PM
the crosshatch just isn't to seat rings...it also effects the way th oil attaches and detaches to the cylinder walls and effects windage on teh rings

but the rule of thumb iv'e used in every form of motorsports ive worked in (NASCAR, several drag racing teams from import to outlaw 10.5, to SCCA/ECHC/NASA stuff....) you run the oil you want to run...from the first second the engine is cranked.
and there is no need to change the oil at 50/100/500/1000...that's a waste. get the engine in...crank it with a target air/fuel around what you want, crank it up and let it heat up unitl the fan cycles twice...then let it cool down. then crank it up and beat the immortal shit out of it for 50 miles...cahnge the oil and you're done. 4000-5000 miles later...change the oil again and continue to do that

Old 09-24-2007, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
I've heard that technique too... Maybe its just not for the faint of heart. But its definitely a technique that is used and used often by racing teams and for me, I've heard of that from motorcycle builders.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
If you're that worried about metal shavings just get a magnetic drain plug.

I'm over 20k miles and planning to switch over to Mobil-1 synthetic for the next oil change.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by abcsr2ez4me
I think the original meaning behind waiting to use synthetic wasn't because of the engine break-in period. But it was because its cheaper to break-in an engine using regular oil because of the recommended oil changes ... ie 50, 100, 500, 1000 miles. The idea of using regular oil to break-in is because it is different than synthetic, meaning is lubrication properties are not as good and is why we pay for synthetic oil. If it was as SO similar, I should just use regular oil.

For those of us who have seen a rebuilt engine being broken in and the oil change that ensues its break-in period has seen the little metal shavings in the oil. The idea of using regular oil is not only because its cheaper but because it doesn't lubricate as well as synthetic. So with less lubrication and more friction, the idea is that the rings will seat properly instead of "gliding" past with all the synthetic goodness.

The question for me is do OEM manufacturers use the crosshatch on the cylinder walls to seat the rings from the factory and are engines broken-in from the factory? if the engines are broken in from the factory, I would bet theres really not much to worry about and to just wait until its time to change your oil before switching.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm attacking your claim. But after reading so many articles ... I just had to say something.
Right on, I er.... agree? I think?

lol, this is getting way too technical for me I am just going to follow the Honda manual They way I see it Honda engineers designed the engine and then wrote the instruction book on it. According to them there is a bunch of "extra special stuff" in the oil from the factory that is good for the engine and not to change it until the little computer says it is time. I won't speak for anybody else, or tell you what you have to do... but me personally, I am doing it by the book.

Speaking of which my little yellow wrench icon showed up today finally, time for my first oil change!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 09-24-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by abcsr2ez4me

You are RIGHT in your description.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Well i couldnt wait anymore and took it to the dealership and talked to them about it and they told me that their are aditives in the oil and running it till the light came on is what honda recomends. They did however say that as long as a dealership does it then there is nothing to worry about because if there is issues later on with the internals that showing the dealership that all the maintenance has been done by them that they cant disregard your claim. In other words 60 some dollars later i have mobil 1 and a recipt from the dealership so i am covered. My mileage was at 1018. The car seems to be a little happier with high revs now then it did but that could be just me thinking its more then its not. haha. Thanks for your inputs and information.