Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Rear Disc - Seriously Trying to Get OEM DIY Sorted Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by apexanimal
i'll just leave this here for now...

Are these custom made?

Old 12-21-2014, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
This is very interesting. How much do you estimate the conversation will run? It seems with all the parts it wouldn't take much time to do.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
i'm ballparking here:

if you wanted a cheap diy kit (basic pads/rotors/bend-your-own-lines) you could probably do it for around 400... maybe even cheaper if you have a cheaper source for calipers...

the way i'm doing it (st pads, centric rotors, ss brake lines) it'll probably end up being around 500...

and all of this is still far cheaper than the 800+ kits that were out there...

i've almost got the brake lines sorted out... parking brake cables are still an unknown... will try to make some calls this week, but with christmas probably not until the week after...

Old 12-21-2014, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
i'm ballparking here:

if you wanted a cheap diy kit (basic pads/rotors/bend-your-own-lines) you could probably do it for around 400... maybe even cheaper if you have a cheaper source for calipers...

the way i'm doing it (st pads, centric rotors, ss brake lines) it'll probably end up being around 500...

i've almost got the brake lines sorted out... parking brake cables are still an unknown... will try to make some calls this week, but with christmas probably not until the week after...
$500 for better equipment is worth it. That's a great price. I'll be looking into this probably around February time.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
i'll keep updating as it progresses

Old 12-22-2014, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
the fit uses 10x1 for its brake fittings, correct?

Old 12-23-2014, 12:05 AM
i'm ballparking here:

if you have a source for the caliper brackets and the ebrake cables, you can use EP3 rear rotors 260mm with RSX Type S rear calipers for large OEM upgrade for the rear

check our ProParts for some kits put together already that are easy on the pockets:
ProParts USA Integra Brake Kit Upgrade - ProParts USA - Low Price Performance Aftermarket Car Accessories - Brakes | Shocks | Springs | Intakes and More!

come spring, I'm doing the front upgrade and if I can find the caliper brackets and proper ebrake cable I'm doing the rear upgrade as well

Old 12-23-2014, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
i spoke with a nice gentleman at fastbrakes, and they use the ep3 rear caliper on their kit (no surprise there) and use the ep3 parking brake as well...
they do custom brake lines (no surprise either, but good to know) and will sell their lines for $65... i may do that once i get some more info about what kind of lines they use...

QUESTION/HELP NEEDED:

What length are the 2002-2004 civic si (ep3) parking brake cables?

Old 01-01-2015, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
u can order the barking cable from Japan Honda they are around US$60 each plus shipping
part# 47510-SAA-J54
part# 47560-SAA-J54

Also the hard lines on the beam are about US$11 each plus shipping
part# 46331-SAA-J51
part# 46361-SAA-J51

there is a website where u can order any parts from Honda thru a guy in Japan
JAPANESE GENUINE OEM PARTS CATALOG?JP-CarParts.com

Old 01-03-2015, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
still moving on this... i got a quote back from another brake line company to do some custom ss lines, but want to confirm the ends/length with fastbrakes before i go dropping non-refundable money on some lines that will take a couple weeks to make... still may just end up buying fastbrake's versions...

looking at the rear caliper arms, the ebrake arm is reversed between the ep3/integra calipers, but i'm not sure if that actually matters all that much... once i get the brake lines ordered, i'm going to order a couple sets of lines and see what works when i pull the stock ones...

Old 01-05-2015, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
i'll be ordering the brake lines from fastbrakes and hoping they work...

they use the calipers from the ep3, and I'm using the calipers from the 97 gsr... the banjo bolt and parking brake springs are reversed... he did say that the brake line the put with the kit replaces the axle hardline as well as the soft section that connects the two hardlines...

i'll keep updating...

Old 01-11-2015, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
brief update:

i got the parking brake support brackets and bolts in and mounted to the calipers... the ss brake lines should be ready this week...

Old 01-12-2015, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
well that was unexpectedly fast...

i just ordered ep3 (2002 civic si) rear parking brake cables, as well as '87 acura legend coupe cables... when i go to do the conversion, i'll use the stock cables to see which ones are closer (if either are) and use the ones that work best, returning the ones that don't work... i'm hoping the legend ones work (because they're cheaper) but we'll have to see come install day...

carry on...

Last edited by apexanimal; 01-12-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
QUESTION/HELP NEEDED:

does the fuel tank need to be dropped in order to change the parking brake cables?

THIS LINK doesn't say anything about it, but i've never done it before...

any insight?!

Old 01-13-2015, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
QUESTION/HELP NEEDED:

does the fuel tank need to be dropped in order to change the parking brake cables?

THIS LINK doesn't say anything about it, but i've never done it before...

any insight?!
Nope, the fuel tank does not need to be dropped.

Shoot me an PM with your E-mail address, I have the instructions with illustrations to replace them.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
both sets of parking brake cables are here...

the acura set has the correct ends, the ep3 set does not have the correct caliper end, but i could make it work if i need to (the ep3 set are slightly longer)...

i'm going to get with my friend to see when we can work on it, and we'll see what we can see... i'm fairly confident that we can get the brakes to work... i'm just not sure about the parking brake...

Old 01-19-2015, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
just set it up with my friend:

we'll be doing the swap on wednesday...

considering live streaming it just for giggles...

Old 01-20-2015, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
How far along are you guys from having a complete parts list for this conversion? I have been reading through the thread and no one has mentioned what portioning value you would have to use after the conversion. Would you have to use an adjustable portioning value for this setup??

Old 01-20-2015, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
very very close to having a complete parts list... really the final part is figuring out the parking brake cables... i'm hoping that one of the two sets i bought will fit and work properly... i'll know tomorrow...

no portioning valve here... in my research, disk brakes generally take less pressure to operate than their drum counterparts which will move the bias rearward slightly (which is a plus in this application imho)... these also being of a oem-esque size and not as large as the other kits out there will help to keep things proper... i'll report on that soon after bed-in...

Old 01-21-2015, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
i have rear disc brakes now...

i'll do a longer write up when i'm not so tired but here are a few highlights:
-the cheaper parking brake cables work (good thing)
-looks like they should be there
-portioning is still good (front still locks up just before rear)
-parking cables take the longest out of this project

pics, write up, and parts list to follow

Quick Reply: Rear Disc - Seriously Trying to Get OEM DIY Sorted Out