Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Help me choose next brake setup!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spoonek4
Thanks for your PM about this topic.......

Yup I'm using Ferodo DS2500 on my car. Currently using the 2nd set of them now. I use power slot rotors and do recommend them if u want slotted rotors. And that should be more than enough braking power if u are running stock engine with I/H/E kinda stuff and not doing back to back crazy downhill runs 10times a night kinda thing.

If u have more budget to play around with, DBA 4000 series & Tarox are also very nice stuff to get. DO NOTTTTTTT bother with Japanese made hi-performance rotors coz they're weak according to my friend's mechanic who's got racing experience in Macau & China.

I'm thinking to do the ITR 11" brakes next year coz it's a MUCH safer setup to go for compare with the Wilwood $500 bbk IMO. Friend who had wilwood BBK on his VW before always complain that the rotors warp easily. And man, use such a thin cotton pin kinda thing on calipers? Ehhh no. If I have that kinda engine power to make use the potential of 4pot setup I'd go with SPOON twinblock(OEM quality)/alcon universal kit + 2pcs rotors(I do have a machinist I trust in town to make everthing work).

Anyway that wilwood setup may look cool, but not bling enough for a show car I guess.
Thanks for responding! Well i'm pretty set on the ferodo's, and i was going to go for the DBA rotors, but i already said, i read a couple of complaints on tirerack (about cracks)... this is simply unacceptable for a rotor at this price... I'll probably end up buying cryo treated power slots :P

Last edited by cr4zy3lgato; 11-01-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cr4zy3lgato
Thanks for responding! Well i'm pretty set on the ferodo's, and i was going to go for the DBA rotors, but i already said, i read a couple of complaints on tirerack (about cracks)... this is simply unacceptable for a rotor at this price... I'll probably end up buying cryo treated power slots :P
Where did u see the comments about DBA cracks? I read the two complains from the TL-S owner and the G35 owner which were about brake pulsation(TL-S w/ATE premium pads) & poor stopping power+eating rotors(G35 w/Akebono Euro ceramic pads).

about the G35 guy's comment. He drives such a heavy heavy car, bought some us$60 pads plus DBA rotors expect it would brake like a race car? And he didn't say how long he used those pads & rotors for? I'm not surprise that the rotors get wasted coz I'd probably have to stand on the brake pedal and hope the car stops with those pads too. Not surprise the pads will wear faster if I have to brake like that everytime I drive it.

About the TL-S guy's comment. New pads/old pads? Bedded in properly? Driver loves to drag on the brakes/do left foot brake(Not kidding I see a lot of people drives an automatic & do LFB around)? Do the caliper brackets and sliding pins cleaned up & lubricated annually? That makes a difference especially on such a high mileage car.

Good rotors don't warp easily unless the driver goes too hard on it or runs through puddles when the brakes are hot all the times etc. I can only feel a sligggggggghtly bit of shimmy from the steering wheel after I ran a lapping day with my stock rotors when it was 35c on track. Power slots? Never had problem. I doubt u would have problem with DBA/Tarox.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Well there's this guy : "I purchased the DBA 4000 Series rotors hoping they would last longer then OEM or Stoptech rotors under track conditions. After about 1,500 street miles (highway miles when driving to road courses) and about 400 miles on a race track one of the rotors cracked." and him also: "Five HPDE weekend events and not one hairline crack on my OEM Z51 drilled rotors. Two HPDE weekend events on DBA 4000 s and they are already peppered with hairline fractures" and a guy with a wrx: "The fact is that these brake discs broke from one side to the other under the temperatures of spirited track use." a corvette owner:"DBA 4000 Rotors getting spider cracking after 2 days, Sat-Sun in HPDE at Homestead, FL. Told by salesperson that cracking is normal and acceptable. Do not buy if using your car for more than road use." and there's a S2K owner that reports cracks also... They also mention how many miles they have done with the product, and i don't think it ever goes higher...

Don't get me wrong though... i'm not saying these are necessarely bad, all i'm saying is that i find unaccetable that there's so many bad reviews for the price they're at. BTW, there are many great reviews too, they just don't seem to justify the higher costs...

The discs are pretty much the last thing to determine... I will purchase Ferodo DS2500 and ATE premium blue at raceshopper.com, T1R SSBL from a member and then the discs which is still undetermined...

I think i will also purchase new hardware (banjo bolts, washers, etc) from Hondapartsdeal.com and i will probably need a flared wrench (can anyone tell me what size?). I purchased a sandblaster not long ago, so i'll do my calipers and paint them... any tips on how to sandblast calipers?

I hoped to change rear drums with insight drums, but i contacted OPAK racing and had no answer... and there's too few info on this... I don't think i can afford to try changing everything from the spindle...

Edit: lol... just realized that PS cryos are about the same price as the DBA they did'nt carry the DBA for the fit, but i think the rotors of the 2005 civic EX is the same as us (am i wrong?) the Power slots have great reviews, but not too many... as for Bremb, this is a whole different story! There's a ton of great reviews and bad ones are mostly aimed at Hawks brake ppads... so, once again i'm not set on the discs... i don't want to regret it btw PS & DBA are about 220$ Brembo is 145$ (a lot cheaper!)

Last edited by cr4zy3lgato; 11-02-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cr4zy3lgato
Well there's this guy : "I purchased the DBA 4000 Series rotors hoping they would last longer then OEM or Stoptech rotors under track conditions. After about 1,500 street miles (highway miles when driving to road courses) and about 400 miles on a race track one of the rotors cracked." and him also: "Five HPDE weekend events and not one hairline crack on my OEM Z51 drilled rotors. Two HPDE weekend events on DBA 4000 s and they are already peppered with hairline fractures" and a guy with a wrx: "The fact is that these brake discs broke from one side to the other under the temperatures of spirited track use." a corvette owner:"DBA 4000 Rotors getting spider cracking after 2 days, Sat-Sun in HPDE at Homestead, FL. Told by salesperson that cracking is normal and acceptable. Do not buy if using your car for more than road use." and there's a S2K owner that reports cracks also... They also mention how many miles they have done with the product, and i don't think it ever goes higher...

Don't get me wrong though... i'm not saying these are necessarely bad, all i'm saying is that i find unaccetable that there's so many bad reviews for the price they're at. BTW, there are many great reviews too, they just don't seem to justify the higher costs...

The discs are pretty much the last thing to determine... I will purchase Ferodo DS2500 and ATE premium blue at raceshopper.com, T1R SSBL from a member and then the discs which is still undetermined...

I think i will also purchase new hardware (banjo bolts, washers, etc) from Hondapartsdeal.com and i will probably need a flared wrench (can anyone tell me what size?). I purchased a sandblaster not long ago, so i'll do my calipers and paint them... any tips on how to sandblast calipers?

I hoped to change rear drums with insight drums, but i contacted OPAK racing and had no answer... and there's too few info on this... I don't think i can afford to try changing everything from the spindle...

Edit: lol... just realized that PS cryos are about the same price as the DBA they did'nt carry the DBA for the fit, but i think the rotors of the 2005 civic EX is the same as us (am i wrong?) the Power slots have great reviews, but not too many... as for Bremb, this is a whole different story! There's a ton of great reviews and bad ones are mostly aimed at Hawks brake ppads... so, once again i'm not set on the discs... i don't want to regret it btw PS & DBA are about 220$ Brembo is 145$ (a lot cheaper!)
Well seems like most of the cases with hair line cracks happened on heavy, high powered NA/turbo sports car. Wonder what kinda pads they were using with the DBA 4000? Interesting info anyway.

I used to have brembo rotors on my EM1 SiR long long time ago. They used to be decent. But the one last set I used warped after a lapping day with some Endless pads. Then I started using power slot after. Their brake product especially the BBK used to be popular. But now we get way more choices in the market nowadays so they became nothing so special now, except the huge monoblock race applications.

Did I say I'm still using the same set of PS rotors on my 2nd set of DS2500 pads?

Yes 05 civic EX/02-04 civic si hatch/RSX base etc all use the same rotors. And didn't opak racing gone out of business?

Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Well seems like i'll be aiming for the Power slot... The cryo treatment improves a lot tensile strenght and hardness of the material... It dramatically changes the structure of the material, it changes austenite into martensite... the only downside is that it makes the material more fragile, but this is less important with alloys, here you can see the structure :

http://info.lu.farmingdale.edu/depts...5/TTTmicro.JPG

Finer particules means there's more obstructions which allows for less movements in the material.

Lol, in case someone is wondering, i had "Engineering of materials"

So, if it's not power slot (tirerack), it might be power stop (lol big difference ) with cryo treatment instead at raceshopper...

Old 11-03-2010, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
Quick question sense we are on this subject. I am running hawk hp plus on my fronts as I track. I have 80k miles on my fit. I have never replaced the rear drums. I dont want to convert the rears any time super soon so I was going to go ahead and change the rear drum brake pads. I was looking for something around "race" pads for the rear but no success so far. anyone know of a good rear drum pad for our cars? I know the rears are pretty much just in it for the ride but i have to change them out anyways im sure soon. they aren't squeaking or anything. im just guessing due to miles..

what say you ???

Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
there's someone on this forum that sell them i think it's x3mperformance or something... or you might want to check with project mu... i'll let you know if i find the member...
EDIT: Fit_DR as installed Porterfield shoes on his fit
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ads-shoes.html

Last edited by cr4zy3lgato; 11-03-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
STOPTECH POWER SLOT HIGH PERFORMANCE BRAKE ROTORS-FRONT on eBay.ca (item 250716958628 end time 24-Nov-10 13:16:39 EST)

found this on ebay... pricing is pretty good... but he states the rotors are cryo treated, yet the part number he gives is for regular (should be csl instead of sl at the end...)

Update: well he changed it and now they're only regular... so back to searching...

Last edited by cr4zy3lgato; 11-05-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
Well, i finally ordered discs from tirerack... i decided to go with power slot rather than DBA because i expect them to last longer... I also just received the T1R brake lines i bought from a member (thanks Jimmy!), soon i will be ordering the Ferodo pads from raceshopper along the ATE super blue!
I will probably order some parts from honda to maintain my calipers!