Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

skun2 coilovers tophat keep binding

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
skun2 coilovers tophat keep binding

i install my skunk2 coilovers over a yr ago. but lately when i tighten up my spring rate the bearing in the top hat keep binding up. now when i turn the tophat actually turns under the hood.. need some input on this... the only things i saved from my stock suspension is the tophat where the bearing sits in and the washer...

Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
Over tightening the springs (pre-load) is probably contributing to your binding problem, not helping.

I barely tighten the pre-load adjustment collar until the spring has a slight resistance to twisting by hand. No more, no less. No binding at all.

Also make sure you swapped all the oem top hat hardware to the coilovers and tighten both nuts.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Evotech8 can you explain it. not quite sure what you mean.

i'm from australia and had problems simiular to gmanfit. when you jack the front up (both wheels), and steer from side to side, the struts rubber mounts move. Basically when it moves, the suspension no longer sits centered on the mount.

i've been told by my mechanic that standard unmodified jazz/fit have had strut top bearings broken. my question relates to if theres any available custom strengthened solution available to resolve this.

*i've broken two in the last month, so i'm looking to get this issue fixed once and for all.

many thanks

Old 02-22-2010, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
If you broken the top bearing twice in a month then there some issue with the strut top hat assembly. Did you make sure the mechanic swapped over all the stock parts to the skunk2's? Torque both nuts to spec?

See link below for front strut assembly.

Front Damper/Spring Replacement

Strange as I'm not experiencing this strut rubber mount moving that your having. And i've been on the skunk2 pro-c's for about two years now.
I say start by removing the top hat, lower the strut carefully, and make sure everything is there and assembled correctly. Also check the lower 12mm nut didn't come loose.