Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Input Needed: Skunk2 Pro-C Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Input Needed: Skunk2 Pro-C Owners

Ive had pro cs on my car for about 2-3k miles now and still havent found a really good damping setting. So far ive found that 4 clicks from the buttom in the front and 6 clicks in the rear has been pretty good.
But at this setting, it can still be pretty uncomforatable at times. I mean i understand, i have coils and its not going to have the smoothest ride but i think it can be better.

In all, I would really like to know what ratio works best. (i.e., +2 in the front compared to the rear, etc.) As of now, ive found that 2 more in the rear has worked for me. *shrugs* This is strange to be because, i would think the front should be stiffer, as all the weight is there...

If you guys could post settings thats worked for either spirited driving or daily use that would be a great help to me and others to come.

I think having some general format would help us all:

F: 4
R: 6

Pros: Still firm enough for lighter spirited driving
Cons: Still bouncy at low speeds (20mph) and larger bumps

Last edited by Special; 01-12-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:56 AM
I have had my pro-c's for about a year, and I have just gotten used to it, the problem is the the spring rates on the springs that come in the set are high for a small car (8kg front and 6kg rear I believe), if you want you could try swapping them out for lower rates maybe 6kg and 4kg and that should help a lot. Personally I've just gotten used to it and I usually drive around with them set to 7 all the way around.

Originally Posted by Special
In all, I would really like to know what ratio works best. (i.e., +2 in the front compared to the rear, etc.) As of now, ive found that 2 more in the rear has worked for me. *shrugs* This is strange to be because, i would think the front should be stiffer, as all the weight is there...
As for the phenomenon you describe above, this actually makes sense because under braking more force is allowed to be transfered to the front end with softer springs which puts more load on the tires giving you better turn in response. Though in my experience when this is set too low the front end will scrape really bad under hard braking.

I am not eloquent, or smart enough to fully explain suspension theory, but this is what I remember from what I've read, anyone with more info please feel free to add.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
I'm running the 6k springs front and back on the softest setting.
This combo is good for me but I still get plenty of complains from passengers.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
when i had my pro-c's the bouncyness of the ride for anything below 20mph was annoying at times but bearable. you can loosen up the spring preload a bit so your shocks absorb most of the bumps.

for daily i rode 3/6, front/rear and my fiancé only complained half the time lol

Old 01-13-2010, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
yea, thats one of things that gets kinda annoying, low speed bumps.

Thanks for the input guys, lets here some more settings guys!

Old 01-22-2010, 12:57 AM
I keep mine in a similar range of you guys: 4 to 6. Anything lower and the performance is just lacking. In the summer when I'm running stickier tires I'll run 9 or 10. Tires make a big difference on ride quality. I'll be getting different summer tires this year and we'll see if the ride is any better.
My spring preload is probably considered a lot. When I upped it I felt it was less sloppy so I kept it that way.
I agree the spring rates are too high for my daily driver (100k miles now). But it wouldn't be a problem if the roads were all new and smooth. There's not a road around here that doesn't have big cracks, patches, and holes.
I don't have any strut bars. They'll probably make the ride worse.
Passengers think it's too stiff. But that's the trade off of go kart like handling. Just fix the roads!
Does everyone's cars still understeer noticeably? You guys running rear strut or cpillar bars? I have the progress rear sway.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
yea i usually try to have it set higher when i know im about to go do some "fun" driving. But just recently i realized i had a "blonde" moment... when i thought my car was set at 4,6, in reality, it was at 6.8... This was cause after a drive i had, i turned the settings the wrong way... *doh*
but now, i have it set on the lowest setting front/back. Which is pretty damn nice for the crappy roads of SF. I do notice it is a lot more sloopy but the pay of having a comfortable ride home from work is too great. stiffer setting will be left for the weekend

I too feel some understeer when the setting are too stiff in the front. So when the front end is not compensating for the bumps prior to the turn, the car understeers. And I too have a rsb

Old 01-22-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm gonna raise the front like 1/4" in the spring. Right now it tucks more than the rear and will rub sometimes with the summer wheels on. Maybe it'll help with the understeer. Also, going to probably get a C pillar and strut bars(used) and see if they do anything.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
if its only me in the car, or with my guy friends, its at 16 front and rear. if its me and my gf, i put the front and rear at 1 lol

Old 01-22-2010, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by uslspct
I'm gonna raise the front like 1/4" in the spring. Right now it tucks more than the rear and will rub sometimes with the summer wheels on. Maybe it'll help with the understeer. Also, going to probably get a C pillar and strut bars(used) and see if they do anything.
pillar bars dont do anything. get a rear swaybar

Old 01-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by uslspct
Does everyone's cars still understeer noticeably? You guys running rear strut or cpillar bars? I have the progress rear sway.
^^^^ I do.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
the fit doesnt have the best suspension setup. i dont expect it to handle like an ariel atom, because it has economy suspension designs

Old 01-23-2010, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
if you're slammed you're going to understeer. if there isn't any suspension travel to account for brake dive, it'll bottom out and understeer every corner. maybe if you guys raised up the front a little bit then it should help

i took the progress RSB off when i was on pro-c's because i didn't think it was necessary. it only added weight and it made me corner slower because it made the rear too solid and immobile :/... turn in too hot and you're understeering, lift-off and WWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! piss your pants lol

maybe a better driver can make better use of the pro-c + progress RSB set-up. i couldn't

Old 01-23-2010, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
i <3 my coilovers and rsb. i oversteer sometimes. then again, i have the front swaybar disconnected

Old 02-18-2010, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
just started to run, 10F and 6R and that proved to be pretty damn comfortable/well posed through the turns. Its stiff but not bouncy, which is great

Old 02-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
are these numbers going from S to F? Right now for winter I have it at the softest setting to hopefully make it a bit less of a rough ride

Old 02-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
When I had my stance on my 14's my car killed the crooked drags we have here. KILLED the cars I went against. I dont have a rear sway.
Now that shes on the ground she isnt all that great in the twists. I mean, I can still fly through corners just my lower control arms eat the road.

Also, I dont know what my fronts are set it. My passenger side dampening knob broke a while back and Im not spending $3xx on a new strut.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
For laughs I tried your 10F 6R set up. I only did a short drive but I have realized I have not yet set them past 6 before. I also noticed in the back it looks like water is seeping in, because I had alot of salt built up back there

Old 02-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Is the leaking around the "cups" where the strut comes through? I made a post about that a while back. The more water that gets into that area the more it leaks. I just live with it.

If it pours for a while here, it makes a squishy noise over bumps. Hahh

Old 02-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
yea that looks like where the water is coming in. im realy not to concerned about it, im just going to take a wet rag and clean off all the salt

Quick Reply: Input Needed: Skunk2 Pro-C Owners